Grundig G8 for $25 at National Geographic site plus 20% off coupon!


mr.decker
 

I just did the same Google search, and the result was 20% off! It was also directly through National Geographic Store, and the link title in Google was "Nat Geo Store 20% Off." I jumped on it, and the radio's price became $19.95. After shipping, the total cost was $25.95. I already have a G8, so this one will be stored away. This is my favorite travel radio for FM DXing. I wish it had the sound quality through the speaker as my D96L, but I usually DX through headphones anyway.

Brian

--- In ultralightdx@..., "texnote" <texnote@...> wrote:

I did a Google search for 'national geographic store coupon' and one of the sponsored links (the ones on top highlighted in yellow), belongs to the National Geographic Store itself and will give you another 10% off. The link label is "Nat Geo Store 10% Off". Try it and see if it works. Worked for me.


terribly wet
 

grrrrr


I missed that.


I already have one G8. I like it just because it's a nice small radio to take camping/hiking, etc. and what else can you buy ?

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ?????? -the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at least from the speaker)



OK--go to CVS for example and buy their Craig 'portable... It's all JUNK JUNK JUNK


I saw that $25 thing and decided it's definite worth that but decided maybe not when you start adding that s&h on.


self debate

--- In ultralightdx@..., "mr.decker" <mr.decker@...> wrote:

I just did the same Google search, and the result was 20% off! It was also directly through National Geographic Store, and the link title in Google was "Nat Geo Store 20% Off." I jumped on it, and the radio's price became $19.95. After shipping, the total cost was $25.95. I already have a G8, so this one will be stored away. This is my favorite travel radio for FM DXing. I wish it had the sound quality through the speaker as my D96L, but I usually DX through headphones anyway.

Brian

--- In ultralightdx@..., "texnote" <texnote@> wrote:

I did a Google search for 'national geographic store coupon' and one of the sponsored links (the ones on top highlighted in yellow), belongs to the National Geographic Store itself and will give you another 10% off. The link label is "Nat Geo Store 10% Off". Try it and see if it works. Worked for me.


terribly wet
 

More precise directions ?


I tried but I see tons of codes but nothing that seems to match.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "mr.decker" <mr.decker@...> wrote:

I just did the same Google search, and the result was 20% off! It was also directly through National Geographic Store, and the link title in Google was "Nat Geo Store 20% Off." I jumped on it, and the radio's price became $19.95. After shipping, the total cost was $25.95. I already have a G8, so this one will be stored away. This is my favorite travel radio for FM DXing. I wish it had the sound quality through the speaker as my D96L, but I usually DX through headphones anyway.

Brian

--- In ultralightdx@..., "texnote" <texnote@> wrote:

I did a Google search for 'national geographic store coupon' and one of the sponsored links (the ones on top highlighted in yellow), belongs to the National Geographic Store itself and will give you another 10% off. The link label is "Nat Geo Store 10% Off". Try it and see if it works. Worked for me.


Powell
 

The DT-400W is the little yellow one. It has an OK FM and excellent AM. It's not quite as good as the G8. The FM on the G8 is amazing. The G8 can play a lot louder than the DT-400W because of a larger speaker. The DT-400 also has an EXCELLENT weather band.

Don't buy any of that drug store garbage..... 

Powell
 
NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads DOT net



From: terribly wet

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ?????? -the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at least from the speaker)




Harold
 

Even though I'm the one who first posted the NatGeo deal on the G8 I didn't get one as I have one only 3 months old.
However after seeing you get %20 off I couldn't resist and just minutes ago found the %20 off and it comes to $19.95 plus $5.95 shipping and handling.
I have a PL-310 and a Kaito 1102. I use the Kaito on the nightstand., the 310 for am dxing and the Grundig for fm listening and dxing.
I like the rubberized coating on the G8 and think it's very well made all around. I might give the G8 to my son if he's interested or be happy to keep it as a spare.
For $25.91 shipped it's very nice!


terribly wet
 

Once if in a rural area one could pick up a GE Super-Radio at many places.


I don't know what they do now.


I'd swear anything bought out of a retail store (not internet) in 2010 is terrible. Even FM you might be lucky to get a couple of your strongest stations.

Those charts where they show AM Coverage ? maybe if your in the strongest area of alleged signal coverage you might get the AM station.

I just tried the Sony BoomBox that is being sold in many stores including Wal-Mart. The $49.99 thing. It has direct recording from the radio with a built in tape recorder. Wonderful until I found the receiver was a dud. Pay $50 and no receiver ?


As said I like the Grundig G8. The AM section on mine is not the best but alternative radios in 2010 ?


Radio Shack (bless me) had a clearance on the Grundig G5 at $39.99. I found 2 left and bought them. I found both were used 're-packaged' (sold as new) and one simply did not work. I was able to return that.

I made an earlier post wondering about Grundig warranties. It seems there is none unless someone says otherwise. All I got is 'nonsense' by email and telephone.

Taking a walk in the woods I compared the G5 and G8. The G5 is better as to picking up weak AM signals.(540-1700) At least it gets some weak ones days that the G8 there is nothing there.


The best radio I have reviewed at same time is the Sangean PR-D5P. It picks up the weak ones the Grundig's struggle for and it is perfectly listenable. ya know...here...560 WHYN 580 WTAG 630 WPRO etc. WBZ 1030 perfectly listenable on the Sangean and listenable on the G5 but difficult to understand anything on the G8.


As said I like the DT-400W but wish more uumph into the speaker.


For FM to me digital is necessary. I seem to know where I am on the AM dial but FM ? grrr 95.1 96.7 88.6 grrr don't know


I think that G8 is worth $25. Have a back-up !!! I wish I got the $5 off bargain. (where is it ?)

The Sony ICF-38 is regular $25 and does not have the features of the G8. I just like that because it sounds better but could be better as to sensitivity. ---but a radio from Walgreens (I mean a local big-box store radio if they have any)?


Radio Shack has some new ULTRA-RANGE portable. I never hear of anybody that tried it. I never had much luck with Radio Shack. There was once a popular Radio Shack TRF ? Radio. Buy some extras. They fall to pieces.

I'd assume many of these modern Chinese radios 'fall to pieces' or go into electrical dysfunction but----------- (any choice ?)


Excuse my departure from Ultra-Light conversation. (G8 ?)

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Powell E. Way III" <w4opw@...> wrote:

The DT-400W is the little yellow one. It has an OK FM and excellent AM. It's not quite as good as the G8. The FM on the G8 is amazing. The G8 can play a lot
louder than the DT-400W because of a larger speaker. The DT-400 also has an
EXCELLENT weather band.


Don't buy any of that drug store garbage.....

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads DOT net




________________________________
From: terribly wet <zz4@...>

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ??????
-the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At
night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but
daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at
least from the speaker)


Powell
 

I just got my PR-D5P. I find it as good on AM as the SuperRadio series. It's AM isn't as good soundwise.

It will get 70 hours life on the 6 C cell batteries. 

The problem with the DT-400W is it is so small, and that's what limits speaker size. The CC-SWP is excellent, has better audio and is decent for the price.

There is going to be a CC-EP  in August  that may be a Super Radio replacement if C Crane gets it right.

IF you can find one, the Panasonic "Mr.Thin" RF-032D rivals the current ultralites on performance. Made in the early 1980's it's analog. But it's half the thickness of any of the current Ultralites.

Powell





 NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads  DOT     net




________________________________

From: terribly wet
To: ultralightdx@...
Sent: Wed, July 14, 2010 5:43:16 PM
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Grundig G8 for $25 at National Geographic site plus
20% off coupon!



Once if in a rural area one could pick up a GE Super-Radio at many places.


I don't know what they do now.





The best radio I have reviewed at same time is the Sangean PR-D5P. It picks up
the weak ones the Grundig's struggle for and it is perfectly listenable.  ya
know...here...560 WHYN  580  WTAG  630 WPRO  etc. WBZ 1030 perfectly listenable
on the Sangean and listenable on the G5 but difficult to understand anything on
the G8.


As said I like the DT-400W but wish more uumph into the speaker.


F

Radio Shack has some new ULTRA-RANGE portable. I never hear of anybody that
tried it. I never had much luck with Radio Shack. There was once a popular Radio
Shack TRF ? Radio. Buy some extras. They fall to pieces.

I'd assume many of these modern Chinese radios 'fall to pieces' or go into
electrical dysfunction but----------- (any choice ?)


Excuse my departure from Ultra-Light conversation. (G8 ?)




docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


mr.decker
 

I went to www.google.com and typed in the following search item:

national geographic store coupon

The first item that popped up in the search results was "Nat Geo Store 20% Off." I clicked that result, and it brought me to the National Geographic Store. I then opened up another tab in my browser window and went to the link for the G8 that I found in the top post of this thread. The price was still listed as $24.95 until I added it to my cart. When I added it to my cart, its price dropped to $19.95, and there was a note on the screen that the the price was discounted 20%.

Hope this helps.

Brian

--- In ultralightdx@..., "terribly wet" <zz4@...> wrote:

More precise directions ?


I tried but I see tons of codes but nothing that seems to match.








--- In ultralightdx@..., "mr.decker" <mr.decker@> wrote:

I just did the same Google search, and the result was 20% off! It was also directly through National Geographic Store, and the link title in Google was "Nat Geo Store 20% Off." I jumped on it, and the radio's price became $19.95. After shipping, the total cost was $25.95. I already have a G8, so this one will be stored away. This is my favorite travel radio for FM DXing. I wish it had the sound quality through the speaker as my D96L, but I usually DX through headphones anyway.

Brian

--- In ultralightdx@..., "texnote" <texnote@> wrote:

I did a Google search for 'national geographic store coupon' and one of the sponsored links (the ones on top highlighted in yellow), belongs to the National Geographic Store itself and will give you another 10% off. The link label is "Nat Geo Store 10% Off". Try it and see if it works. Worked for me.


Harold
 

"I think that G8 is worth $25. Have a back-up !!! I wish I got the $5 off bargain. (where is it?"
 
 
 
 
On the right  second down is the 20% off link. Click it, find the Grundig, add to cart, proceed to checkout and see the price of $19.95
 


Rik
 

I am not sure any boombox was made for DXing, but rather made to play local music stations LOUD.So the money went into the speakers and amp, and the tape transport first. I have a SONY ICF-F10S, and it costs less than $50 and sounds pretty good, but is not a DX machine either.

I like the G8's ability to clearly hear the audio, without much interference, on a good number of AM stations. But without an external antenna, it's not for DXing. FM is extremely good though, and I can find quite a bit on SW from major broadcasters.

I noticed you hear the same local stations as I do, so you can't be far away from North East CT.

Sangean made a large part of my pile of dead digital radios, so I have been avoiding them. I'll have to look up that one you like. I am leaning toward analog when ever I can get it for AM and SW broadcasts. That's why I got the SONY. For SSB, as far as I know all modern portable sets are digital, which is fine as long as they work.

The new Analog AM FM radio expected from CCrane [?Sangean?] does sound interesting. I hope it is reliable and works well.

I enjoy almost all my radios, but each one I like is good at different things. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "terribly wet" <zz4@...> wrote:



Once if in a rural area one could pick up a GE Super-Radio at many places.


I don't know what they do now.


I'd swear anything bought out of a retail store (not internet) in 2010 is terrible. Even FM you might be lucky to get a couple of your strongest stations.

Those charts where they show AM Coverage ? maybe if your in the strongest area of alleged signal coverage you might get the AM station.

I just tried the Sony BoomBox that is being sold in many stores including Wal-Mart. The $49.99 thing. It has direct recording from the radio with a built in tape recorder. Wonderful until I found the receiver was a dud. Pay $50 and no receiver ?


As said I like the Grundig G8. The AM section on mine is not the best but alternative radios in 2010 ?


Radio Shack (bless me) had a clearance on the Grundig G5 at $39.99. I found 2 left and bought them. I found both were used 're-packaged' (sold as new) and one simply did not work. I was able to return that.

I made an earlier post wondering about Grundig warranties. It seems there is none unless someone says otherwise. All I got is 'nonsense' by email and telephone.

Taking a walk in the woods I compared the G5 and G8. The G5 is better as to picking up weak AM signals.(540-1700) At least it gets some weak ones days that the G8 there is nothing there.


The best radio I have reviewed at same time is the Sangean PR-D5P. It picks up the weak ones the Grundig's struggle for and it is perfectly listenable. ya know...here...560 WHYN 580 WTAG 630 WPRO etc. WBZ 1030 perfectly listenable on the Sangean and listenable on the G5 but difficult to understand anything on the G8.


As said I like the DT-400W but wish more uumph into the speaker.


For FM to me digital is necessary. I seem to know where I am on the AM dial but FM ? grrr 95.1 96.7 88.6 grrr don't know


I think that G8 is worth $25. Have a back-up !!! I wish I got the $5 off bargain. (where is it ?)

The Sony ICF-38 is regular $25 and does not have the features of the G8. I just like that because it sounds better but could be better as to sensitivity. ---but a radio from Walgreens (I mean a local big-box store radio if they have any)?


Radio Shack has some new ULTRA-RANGE portable. I never hear of anybody that tried it. I never had much luck with Radio Shack. There was once a popular Radio Shack TRF ? Radio. Buy some extras. They fall to pieces.

I'd assume many of these modern Chinese radios 'fall to pieces' or go into electrical dysfunction but----------- (any choice ?)


Excuse my departure from Ultra-Light conversation. (G8 ?)





--- In ultralightdx@..., "Powell E. Way III" <w4opw@> wrote:

The DT-400W is the little yellow one. It has an OK FM and excellent AM. It's not quite as good as the G8. The FM on the G8 is amazing. The G8 can play a lot
louder than the DT-400W because of a larger speaker. The DT-400 also has an
EXCELLENT weather band.


Don't buy any of that drug store garbage.....

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads DOT net




________________________________
From: terribly wet <zz4@>

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ??????
-the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At
night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but
daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at
least from the speaker)


terribly wet
 

You have it right !!! I'm in SouthWest Connecticut. Down here you can get all the HD hssssssssssssssss from New York City. I'm just far enough away to avoid most as most NYC stations actually in New Jersey as to antennas except WFAN 660/WCBS 880.


I have not been doing serious listening but mostly just using a car radio. Of coarse it's nice and sensitive but no way to null out allot of stuff.

I have been just re-stocking myself with some modern radios after being away from AM BCB DX for a long time.

I sit on allot of old stuff but some is getting ancient.


Boom-Box. I forget the model. It sits in Wal-Mart now. At least here it stunk. I could not even get 1260 Westport, Ct. and WNLK 1350 Norwalk, Ct. which are locals. Probably the FM I got WEBE 107.9 with it's 50kw almost next to me. It just seems the radios get worse not better.


Digital ? I think it even made it's own noise on that Boom-Box.


The old GE SuperRadio PLUS with digital--- The digital made some noise but it was not much. A signal would cover it up if strong enough.

G8 audio ? I find it lacking. Down here it'd hard to understand for example WHYN 560 and WTAG 580 and WPRO 630. The G5 much better at that. (Days)

That Sangean PR-D5P the above perfectly listenable.


Some might be selectivity in my 'higher' rf area.



Then to sound cheerful it's probably a new batch of Sangean PR-D5P from China and everybody will say---this stinks !!!


o-boom boxes ? The population might carry it out to the country when 'they get away' and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ? where are the radio stations ?


So enuff. Have fun.


Logged a new one tonight. 1220 CJUN Cornwall,Ont. Probably common but can't remember hearing it.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@...> wrote:

I am not sure any boombox was made for DXing, but rather made to play local music stations LOUD.So the money went into the speakers and amp, and the tape transport first. I have a SONY ICF-F10S, and it costs less than $50 and sounds pretty good, but is not a DX machine either.

I like the G8's ability to clearly hear the audio, without much interference, on a good number of AM stations. But without an external antenna, it's not for DXing. FM is extremely good though, and I can find quite a bit on SW from major broadcasters.

I noticed you hear the same local stations as I do, so you can't be far away from North East CT.

Sangean made a large part of my pile of dead digital radios, so I have been avoiding them. I'll have to look up that one you like. I am leaning toward analog when ever I can get it for AM and SW broadcasts. That's why I got the SONY. For SSB, as far as I know all modern portable sets are digital, which is fine as long as they work.

The new Analog AM FM radio expected from CCrane [?Sangean?] does sound interesting. I hope it is reliable and works well.

I enjoy almost all my radios, but each one I like is good at different things. - FARMERIK



--- In ultralightdx@..., "terribly wet" <zz4@> wrote:



Once if in a rural area one could pick up a GE Super-Radio at many places.


I don't know what they do now.


I'd swear anything bought out of a retail store (not internet) in 2010 is terrible. Even FM you might be lucky to get a couple of your strongest stations.

Those charts where they show AM Coverage ? maybe if your in the strongest area of alleged signal coverage you might get the AM station.

I just tried the Sony BoomBox that is being sold in many stores including Wal-Mart. The $49.99 thing. It has direct recording from the radio with a built in tape recorder. Wonderful until I found the receiver was a dud. Pay $50 and no receiver ?


As said I like the Grundig G8. The AM section on mine is not the best but alternative radios in 2010 ?


Radio Shack (bless me) had a clearance on the Grundig G5 at $39.99. I found 2 left and bought them. I found both were used 're-packaged' (sold as new) and one simply did not work. I was able to return that.

I made an earlier post wondering about Grundig warranties. It seems there is none unless someone says otherwise. All I got is 'nonsense' by email and telephone.

Taking a walk in the woods I compared the G5 and G8. The G5 is better as to picking up weak AM signals.(540-1700) At least it gets some weak ones days that the G8 there is nothing there.


The best radio I have reviewed at same time is the Sangean PR-D5P. It picks up the weak ones the Grundig's struggle for and it is perfectly listenable. ya know...here...560 WHYN 580 WTAG 630 WPRO etc. WBZ 1030 perfectly listenable on the Sangean and listenable on the G5 but difficult to understand anything on the G8.


As said I like the DT-400W but wish more uumph into the speaker.


For FM to me digital is necessary. I seem to know where I am on the AM dial but FM ? grrr 95.1 96.7 88.6 grrr don't know


I think that G8 is worth $25. Have a back-up !!! I wish I got the $5 off bargain. (where is it ?)

The Sony ICF-38 is regular $25 and does not have the features of the G8. I just like that because it sounds better but could be better as to sensitivity. ---but a radio from Walgreens (I mean a local big-box store radio if they have any)?


Radio Shack has some new ULTRA-RANGE portable. I never hear of anybody that tried it. I never had much luck with Radio Shack. There was once a popular Radio Shack TRF ? Radio. Buy some extras. They fall to pieces.

I'd assume many of these modern Chinese radios 'fall to pieces' or go into electrical dysfunction but----------- (any choice ?)


Excuse my departure from Ultra-Light conversation. (G8 ?)





--- In ultralightdx@..., "Powell E. Way III" <w4opw@> wrote:

The DT-400W is the little yellow one. It has an OK FM and excellent AM. It's not quite as good as the G8. The FM on the G8 is amazing. The G8 can play a lot
louder than the DT-400W because of a larger speaker. The DT-400 also has an
EXCELLENT weather band.


Don't buy any of that drug store garbage.....

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads DOT net




________________________________
From: terribly wet <zz4@>

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ??????
-the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At
night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but
daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at
least from the speaker)


George Sherman
 

Sure the G8 is not as sensitive as a full sized portable due to no room for a long MW ferrite bar. But on my Tecsun PL-300 (G8) I heard Voice of Russia via Germany on 1323, yes from Minnesota! The pocket portables can be boosted in signal strength with a Tecsun/Grundig loop antenna that costs $27.99 shipped.

I've never seen any radio on FM get only 2 stations if in/near a metro area. But inside a store that may be the case. 73, George S., MN

--- In ultralightdx@..., "terribly wet" <zz4@...> wrote:



Once if in a rural area one could pick up a GE Super-Radio at many places.


I don't know what they do now.


I'd swear anything bought out of a retail store (not internet) in 2010 is terrible. Even FM you might be lucky to get a couple of your strongest stations.

Those charts where they show AM Coverage ? maybe if your in the strongest area of alleged signal coverage you might get the AM station.

I just tried the Sony BoomBox that is being sold in many stores including Wal-Mart. The $49.99 thing. It has direct recording from the radio with a built in tape recorder. Wonderful until I found the receiver was a dud. Pay $50 and no receiver ?


As said I like the Grundig G8. The AM section on mine is not the best but alternative radios in 2010 ?


Radio Shack (bless me) had a clearance on the Grundig G5 at $39.99. I found 2 left and bought them. I found both were used 're-packaged' (sold as new) and one simply did not work. I was able to return that.

I made an earlier post wondering about Grundig warranties. It seems there is none unless someone says otherwise. All I got is 'nonsense' by email and telephone.

Taking a walk in the woods I compared the G5 and G8. The G5 is better as to picking up weak AM signals.(540-1700) At least it gets some weak ones days that the G8 there is nothing there.


The best radio I have reviewed at same time is the Sangean PR-D5P. It picks up the weak ones the Grundig's struggle for and it is perfectly listenable. ya know...here...560 WHYN 580 WTAG 630 WPRO etc. WBZ 1030 perfectly listenable on the Sangean and listenable on the G5 but difficult to understand anything on the G8.


As said I like the DT-400W but wish more uumph into the speaker.


For FM to me digital is necessary. I seem to know where I am on the AM dial but FM ? grrr 95.1 96.7 88.6 grrr don't know


I think that G8 is worth $25. Have a back-up !!! I wish I got the $5 off bargain. (where is it ?)

The Sony ICF-38 is regular $25 and does not have the features of the G8. I just like that because it sounds better but could be better as to sensitivity. ---but a radio from Walgreens (I mean a local big-box store radio if they have any)?


Radio Shack has some new ULTRA-RANGE portable. I never hear of anybody that tried it. I never had much luck with Radio Shack. There was once a popular Radio Shack TRF ? Radio. Buy some extras. They fall to pieces.

I'd assume many of these modern Chinese radios 'fall to pieces' or go into electrical dysfunction but----------- (any choice ?)


Excuse my departure from Ultra-Light conversation. (G8 ?)





--- In ultralightdx@..., "Powell E. Way III" <w4opw@> wrote:

The DT-400W is the little yellow one. It has an OK FM and excellent AM. It's not quite as good as the G8. The FM on the G8 is amazing. The G8 can play a lot
louder than the DT-400W because of a larger speaker. The DT-400 also has an
EXCELLENT weather band.


Don't buy any of that drug store garbage.....

Powell

NNNN
POP email is powell at backroads DOT net




________________________________
From: terribly wet <zz4@>

The problem is I guess 'plenty' that might be better. That Sangean ? DT44 ??????
-the yellow one- is better...

My G8 is not 'hot' on AM but beats some consumer junk from a big box store. At
night there must be something on every channel (if in a place like NE USA) but
daytime sensitivity is not dynamite. The audio is often hard to understand. (at
least from the speaker)