recommend good AM radio + mp3 player combo?

jlochey <john.lochey@...>

Yeah, pretty massive for the shirt pocket! : )

You sound like me, always wanting something that no one has made yet!

I feel your pain...

John

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, that one is much too big... unless you've found a way to fit it in your shirt pocket. :) I'm looking for something pocket sized and preferably not too far above $100 (although I think maybe $200 might be ok if it's a very good radio/mp3 player).

So is there an "all-in-one" mp3 player / radio that would do both those functions well AND fit in a shirt pocket (or at least a pants pocket), for under $100-150 (maybe $200 if it's exceptionally good - does everything the ipod touch does (except the GUI) and more, and is more sensitive and selective than the 7.5" loopstick PL-380, for example)? (I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but as far as I know he (my uncle) probably woudn't care about album art, so a color graphical display wouldn't be necessary.) Or, should I recommend two separate things - an AM radio and a MP3 player? If I go that route, the mp3 player would need good enough shielding so it doesn't interfere with the AM radio, even when both devices are simultaneously in the same shirt pocket.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "jlochey" <john.lochey@> wrote:

I know this doesn't meet all of your specs, but I really like my Sangean PR-D8. It records perfectly to an SD card automatically. I found it to be quite sensitive and easy to use. Got it on Amazon for about $110.

Your mileage may vary! ; )

John

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@> wrote:

My uncle is looking for something like in the title for his birthday coming up the end of this month. I've heard there's a Degen radio (DE1123 or DE1125, I forget) that has the Si4734 chip in it, but he also wants something with fairly high capacity. If that one doesn't accept SDHC cards (I'm going to look after I post this) or have at least 16GB or 32GB memory built in, is there another recommended one that has Si4734-like selectivity (but without the elevated RSSI near strong signals that my PL-380 is plagued with - btw he lives about 10-12 mi or so NW of me), good capacity (preferably at least 8GB with a SDHC slot, or 16GB if it has no slot), and a good antenna (but not a slider, as it would be too big)?

I just looked at a few google links for the DE1123 and DE1125, and while I still can't tell if it has an SD card, there are some things I already don't like about it. Could someone recommend another one? The only other one I'm aware of is something like Radio YourWay, or something that CCrane company sells, and while I can't remember accurately, I (think) my aunt (his wife) told me he knew of that model but there was something he didn't like about it, but I forget.

Any recommendations? While he didn't specify, I would prefer to keep the price and size (including any external AM antenna, although I would prefer it be internal) limits within ultralight specifications, even if there are other reasons the radio doesn't qualify as an ultralight.

pianoplayer88key

[...]

Hmm.... well I was reading the reviews, and considering what seems to be currently available, the CC Witness seems to be the "lesser of the evils". However, there are some things tha I personally can't get over. The lack of playlist (M3U) and ID3 tag support is not good, for one thing. Also, lack of a record level control is inexcusable, although I don't know if my uncle, who would be using this and wants one (mp3 player and AM radio - may or may not be the CCW) for his birthday coming up the end of this month, would be using the record feature. He mainly wants to listen to audio files he loads on there, and listen to the radio during his lunch break, so I want to point him to a pocket-sized, reasonably-priced product that blows away the competition for how well it does those two things.
As for the radio, considering he lives in the same general metro area I do, and will be doing most of his listening in the daytime, I would want it to have a good radio... and based on what I'm reading about the CCW, I don't think it's good enough for me to recommend it. For example, I would at least expect to be able to hear usable audio from a 100-watt station on 530 that's 100 miles away or a 500-watt on 1290 that's 200 miles away without any splatter from a non-IBOC 50kW station 1 mile and 10kHz away. My PL-380, while it's sensitive enough to pull in that DX, is definitely not selective / overload rejecting enough to do it next to a strong signal. For example, I'm 9 miles from a 50kW on 1170, and there's no trace of a 50kW on 1180 that's about 230 miles away (and on the other side of the Tehachapi Mountains). At least I'm not trying to find something for my grandma in L.A. to listen to stations on 1100, 1107, 1116, 1120, 1290, 1296, 1305, 1310, 1420, 1431 or 1440 with, though - she lives 1/3 mile from a 23kW on 1300 and a 50kW on 1430, and less than 5 miles from a 50kW IBOC on 1110.

I haven't asked if my uncle would be willing to consider two separate devices (one for mp3 and the other for AM radio). Are there any that you all would recommend whose combined price is no higher than the CCW (preferably much cheaper - he was considering the DE1123 but didn't like the fact that it only had 2GB memory), and combined size is small enough for BOTH to fit in a pocket, with good enough shielding on the mp3 player to not bleed through the radio even when he's listening to a station that the 7.5" loopstick PL-380 can't hear? He may not be the DXer I am, BTW, but I still think the radio he gets should be a good one so the stations he does listen to don't have interference issues.

Any recommendations? Should I suggest the Witness even though I personally think it would turn out to be a piece of , or is there a better solution?

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

I own a CC Witness. It definitely isn't a DSP radio, and its AM performance is inferior to that of other ultralights like the DT-400W and PL-380.

I bought the CCW mainly because of the timer recording capability, not for the reception. However, it works fine with my Terk loop to record local AM stations. Without the loop, the recording circuitry can generate quite a bit of noise. The loop provides sufficient signal to overcome most of this noise. Bit rates above 64 Kbps can cause hets on some AM stations. Since 64 Kbps is sufficient for recording talk radio, this doesn't bother me too much.

The CCW takes SD cards up to 2 GB and SDHC cards up to 16 GB.

I have used the line-in recording capability with my Sony 7600GR, CCRadio-SW and Grundig Sat 800. All of these radios have line out jacks. I generally record line in at 256 Kbps, since there is no het issue with this type of recording.

With the 7600GR and CCR-SW, it's necessary to use a headphone attenuator cable to get distortion-free recordings, since the CC Witness has no recording level control.

With the Sat 800 things are a bit more complicated, as it seems to have a very high line out level. Using sufficient attenuation to prevent the CCW from distorting results in the Sat 800 line out itself distorting, because it can't drive the attenuated load. To get around this, I use a so-called "line driver" amplifier (normally used in car stereos) set on 0 dB gain between the Sat 800 and the attenuator cable. The line driver has no trouble driving the attenuated load.

As an MP3 player, the CCW sounds pretty good, but it's no Ipod. There is no ID3 tag sorting or playlist support, and no color display for album art.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/c-crane-witness-am/4505-6490_7-33351260.html

http://theradiokitchen.net/how-to-gather-sound-from-the-sky-from-almost-anywhere/

Here is some more info:

http://www.ccwitness.com/

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/cc-witness.aspx

Stephen - It sounds like you want an MP3 recorder with an AM radio equal to that in the better ultralights, and including DSP filtering. I don't think such a device exists.

The CCW does what I need it to do, and I'm happy that I bought it.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., Mark Roberts <markrobt@> wrote:

The DE1123 does not accept any kind of external memory, and its
recording is at low quality. I wouldn't recommend it as a recorder.
It's OK for FM; the AM seems insensitive and the audio bandwidth is
a measly 2 kHz.

I believe the CCrane AM radio and recorder is called the Witness. I
don't think it's a DSP radio.

Gary Kinsman

[...]

Mark Roberts