Grundig G8 for $25 at National Geographic site

Harold

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio

Rik

Thanks! - I sent that link to my brothers and sisters, some of which listen to weak FM stations, or have some interest in having a SW radio. The G8 would be pretty good for them, and for $25, they won't find anything cheaper that does so well. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "surveyor6180" <hmgaffney@...> wrote:

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio

Harold

Your welcome. By the way the G8 has great battery life.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@...> wrote:

Thanks! - I sent that link to my brothers and sisters, some of which listen to weak FM stations, or have some interest in having a SW radio. The G8 would be pretty good for them, and for $25, they won't find anything cheaper that does so well. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "surveyor6180" <hmgaffney@> wrote:

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio

Phil Pasteur

I am curious. Taking a close look at the radio at the above link I notice tha the buttons are marked differently than the pictures that I found of the G8 Traveller II. The dial backlight is a different color as well. Would this be the Tecsun version of the radio or did they have a traveller I perhaps. It does look very similar, but different enough that I though I would ask those that have the current G8 model.

Phil

--- In ultralightdx@..., "surveyor6180" <hmgaffney@...> wrote:

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio

Harold

Phil, I just looked at my Grundig Traveller II G8 that I bought from Eton directly and, for what it's worth, the buttons are the same. The backlight on mine is sort of amber too.

If you're not sure of what NatGeo is offering then "caveat emptor"
Harold

--- In ultralightdx@..., "ppasteur" <ppasteur@...> wrote:

I am curious. Taking a close look at the radio at the above link I notice tha the buttons are marked differently than the pictures that I found of the G8 Traveller II. The dial backlight is a different color as well. Would this be the Tecsun version of the radio or did they have a traveller I perhaps. It does look very similar, but different enough that I though I would ask those that have the current G8 model.

Phil

--- In ultralightdx@..., "surveyor6180" <hmgaffney@> wrote:

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio

Phil Pasteur

That is what I was thinking too, caveat emptor.

It is interesting, I looked at pictures on Amazon and Universal radio and they don't match with the one at National Geographic. Specifically the one at Nat Geo has no "lock" text in red under the Snooze/Light button while the Universal/Amazon radio does.. Next buttons to the right the Nat geo unit has two arrows, one up, one down with 9-10 khz under one and FM set under the other. The corresponding buttons on the Universal/Amazon pictures are labled Display and VF/VM. The next button to the right is AM/LW and the next FM on the Nat Geo unit. These buttons have lines underneath them connecting the button with ATS in the middle. The corresponding buttons an the Universal/Amazon radio are SW, with MB underneath it and FM/AM/LW with ATS underneath it.

On the other side of the display under the power button the Nat Geo radio has a buton labeled Display with a key under it and then one labled VF/VM with the word Step under it.. The corresponding buttons on the Universal/Amazon set have a down arrow and and up arrow over each respectively with the word AUTO between the arrows. As mentioned, in the pictures the display on the Nat Geo unit looks almost orange. The Universal/amazon radio has an pale green display.

I have lots of radios, but this is a good deal and almost makes me want to pick one up to try to duplicate Roys work. I just don't want to get the wrong radio for that project.

I wish I could attach the pictures.
Yahoo will probably butcher these, but they are links to zoomed pictures of the two units that can be panned:

<http://s7d2.scene7.com/is-viewers-3.9/flash/genericzoom.swf?serverUrl=http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/&contentRoot=http://s7d2.scene7.com/skins&image=NationalGeographic/1074854_IS&config=NationalGeographic/ImageSetConfigDefault09>

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0>

Phil

BTW, thanks for the response!

Phil, I just looked at my Grundig Traveller II G8 that I bought from Eton directly and, for what it's worth, the buttons are the same. The backlight on mine is sort of amber too.

If you're not sure of what NatGeo is offering then "caveat emptor"
Harold

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

I cannot completely read the labels, but other than the amber backlight being on in one pic and being off ( therefore it looks grey ) in the other ( and comparing both to the one sitting right next to me ) I don't see any differences.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

That is what I was thinking too, caveat emptor.

It is interesting, I looked at pictures on Amazon and Universal radio and they don't match with the one at National Geographic. Specifically the one at Nat Geo has no "lock" text in red under the Snooze/Light button while the Universal/Amazon radio does.. Next buttons to the right the Nat geo unit has two arrows, one up, one down with 9-10 khz under one and FM set under the other. The corresponding buttons on the Universal/Amazon pictures are labled Display and VF/VM. The next button to the right is AM/LW and the next FM on the Nat Geo unit. These buttons have lines underneath them connecting the button with ATS in the middle. The corresponding buttons an the Universal/Amazon radio are SW, with MB underneath it and FM/AM/LW with ATS underneath it.

On the other side of the display under the power button the Nat Geo radio has a buton labeled Display with a key under it and then one labled VF/VM with the word Step under it.. The corresponding buttons on the Universal/Amazon set have a down arrow and and up arrow over each respectively with the word AUTO between the arrows. As mentioned, in the pictures the display on the Nat Geo unit looks almost orange. The Universal/amazon radio has an pale green display.

I have lots of radios, but this is a good deal and almost makes me want to pick one up to try to duplicate Roys work. I just don't want to get the wrong radio for that project.

I wish I could attach the pictures.
Yahoo will probably butcher these, but they are links to zoomed pictures of the two units that can be panned:

<http://s7d2.scene7.com/is-viewers-3.9/flash/genericzoom.swf?serverUrl=http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/&contentRoot=http://s7d2.scene7.com/skins&image=NationalGeographic/1074854_IS&config=NationalGeographic/ImageSetConfigDefault09>

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0>

Phil

BTW, thanks for the response!

> Phil, I just looked at my Grundig Traveller II G8 that I bought from Eton directly and, for what it's worth, the buttons are the same. The backlight on mine is sort of amber too.
>
> If you're not sure of what NatGeo is offering then "caveat emptor"
> Harold

Phil Pasteur

Thanks for your input. I had to use the zoom and pan features on both sites to read the labeling. I feel fairly confident that the National Geographic radio matches up with the one in Gary's review of the G8 and the one on the Eton web site advertised as being the current G8. I am not sure what the pictures on Amazon and Universal Radio are taken of, but clearly though the button layout is the same, the functions for the buttons is significantly different. Just out of curiousity now, if anyone can tell me what Radio the Amazon picture and the one on Universal under G8, show... I would be interested.

Sorry to take up the bandwidth on this, but I wanted to be sure before I bought the radio as being a current G8 model, just to be disappointed (such things have happened to me before).

Again thanks to those that responded!

Phil

--- In ultralightdx@..., Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...> wrote:

[...]

I bought a Grundig G8 at Universal about a year ago. The buttons and labels on mine are the same as in the NatGeo picture. My display is also amber when backlit. The color of the case in the NatGeo picture appears to be gray, about the same as the Eton E1 or E5. Mine from Universal is black.

Dan

Dan Ferguson
North American Shortwave Association: http://www.naswa.net
Combined SWBC skeds spreadsheet - updated July 11 at 1900 GMT:
http://www.hfskeds.com/skeds/

<wb2bjh@...>
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

That is what I was thinking too, caveat emptor.

It is interesting, I looked at pictures on Amazon and Universal
radio and they don't match with the one at National Geographic.
Specifically the one at Nat Geo has no "lock" text in red under
the Snooze/Light button while the Universal/Amazon radio does..
Next buttons to the right the Nat geo unit has two arrows, one up,
one down with 9-10 khz under one and FM set under the other. The
corresponding buttons on the Universal/Amazon pictures are labled
Display and VF/VM. The next button to the right is AM/LW and the
next FM on the Nat Geo unit. These buttons have lines underneath
them connecting the button with ATS in the middle. The
corresponding buttons an the Universal/Amazon radio are SW, with
MB underneath it and FM/AM/LW with ATS underneath it.

On the other side of the display under the power button the Nat
Geo radio has a buton labeled Display with a key under it and then
one labled VF/VM with the word Step under it.. The corresponding
buttons on the Universal/Amazon set have a down arrow and and up
arrow over each respectively with the word AUTO between the
arrows. As mentioned, in the pictures the display on the Nat Geo
unit looks almost orange. The Universal/amazon radio has an pale
green display.

I have lots of radios, but this is a good deal and almost makes me
want to pick one up to try to duplicate Roys work. I just don't
want to get the wrong radio for that project.

I wish I could attach the pictures.
Yahoo will probably butcher these, but they are links to zoomed
pictures of the two units that can be panned:

<http://s7d2.scene7.com/is-viewers-3.9/flash/genericzoom.swf?serverUrl=http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/&contentRoot=http://s7d2.scene7.com/skins&image=NationalGeographic/1074854_IS&config=NationalGeographic/ImageSetConfigDefault09
<http://s7d2.scene7.com/is-viewers-3.9/flash/genericzoom.swf?serverUrl=http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/&contentRoot=http://s7d2.scene7.com/skins&image=NationalGeographic/1074854_IS&config=NationalGeographic/ImageSetConfigDefault09>>

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0>>

Phil

BTW, thanks for the response!

> Phil, I just looked at my Grundig Traveller II G8 that I bought
from Eton directly and, for what it's worth, the buttons are the
same. The backlight on mine is sort of amber too.

> If you're not sure of what NatGeo is offering then "caveat emptor"
> Harold

cadcoast <jm392c@...>

I must agree with those who say the button labelings are different in the two photos. The NatGeo photo matches those in the ultralight file which were taken last year. It's quite possible that there is a "new" version of the G8, as Amazon and Universal are both big sellers. If so, that might explain the low price by NatGeo. Perhaps we should go to our local Radio Shack (another big seller) and see what they have.

Jim Z

Russ Edmunds wrote:

> [...]

<http://s7d2.scene7.com/is-viewers-3.9/flash/genericzoom.swf?serverUrl=http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/&contentRoot=http://s7d2.scene7.com/skins&image=NationalGeographic/1074854_IS&config=NationalGeographic/ImageSetConfigDefault09>>

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001QTXKF6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0>>

Phil

BTW, thanks for the response!

> Phil, I just looked at my Grundig Traveller II G8 that I bought
from Eton directly and, for what it's worth, the buttons are the
same. The backlight on mine is sort of amber too.

> If you're not sure of what NatGeo is offering then "caveat emptor"

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

I did the full magnification of the two photos, and the NG one matches my two units purchased in 2009 from RS. The Amazon pic indeed shows different labels.

--- In ultralightdx@..., Dan Ferguson wrote:

> I bought a Grundig G8 at Universal about a year ago. The buttons and
> labels on mine are the same as in the NatGeo picture. My display is also
> amber when backlit. The color of the case in the NatGeo picture appears
> to be gray, about the same as the Eton E1 or E5. Mine from Universal is
> black.
>
> Dan
>

> Dan Ferguson
> North American Shortwave Association: http://www.naswa.net
> Combined SWBC skeds spreadsheet - updated July 11 at 1900 GMT:
> http://www.hfskeds.com/skeds/
>

> Russ Edmunds wrote:
> >

> > I cannot completely read the labels, but other than the amber
> > backlight being on in one pic and being off ( therefore it looks grey
> > ) in the other ( and comparing both to the one sitting right next to
> > me ) I don't see any differences.
> >
> > Russ Edmunds
> > Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
> > [15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
> > 40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
> >
> > FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
> > AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

Gary DeBock

Hello Russ, Jim and Others,

The Amazon web site photos of the Grundig G8 have been incorrect since the introduction of the model last summer, when there was a bizarre official denial by Mr. Austin Parker (of the Eton Corporation) that the model even had a DSP chip. Apparently the motivation for the misleading public campaign was to protect the sales of the more expensive Grundig G3 and G5 models, which lacked the DSP capabilities of the G8/ PL-300WT models. Even today, the Amazon web site says nothing about a DSP chip in the G8, or that it is a clone of the Tecsun PL-300WT.

73, Gary DeBock

In a message dated 7/11/2010 2:30:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, wb2bjh@... writes:

I did the full magnification of the two photos, and the NG one matches my two units purchased in 2009 from RS. The Amazon pic indeed shows different labels.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
com>

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Dan Ferguson .> wrote:

> I bought a Grundig G8 at Universal about a year ago. The buttons and
> labels on mine are the same as in the NatGeo picture. My display is also
> amber when backlit. The color of the case in the NatGeo picture appears
> to be gray, about the same as the Eton E1 or E5. Mine from Universal is
> black.
>
> Dan
>

> Dan Ferguson
> North American Shortwave Association: http://www.naswa.net
> Combined SWBC skeds spreadsheet - updated July 11 at 1900 GMT:
> http://www.hfskeds.com/skeds/
>

> Russ Edmunds wrote:
> >

> > I cannot completely read the labels, but other than the amber
> > backlight being on in one pic and being off ( therefore it looks grey
> > ) in the other ( and comparing both to the one sitting right next to
> > me ) I don't see any differences.
> >
> > Russ Edmunds
> > Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
> > [15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
> > 40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
> >
> > FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
> > AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

texnote

I did a Google search for 'national geographic store coupon' and one of the sponsored links (the ones on top highlighted in yellow), belongs to the National Geographic Store itself and will give you another 10% off. The link label is "Nat Geo Store 10% Off". Try it and see if it works. Worked for me.

WS1K

--- In ultralightdx@..., "surveyor6180" <hmgaffney@...> wrote:

Here's the link.
I paid $50 for mine and I like it.
For $25 it's a good deal.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/sale/gear-and-gadgets/traveler-shortwave-radio
Smoking deal and the 20% off was a major bonus! Thanks for the heads up!
I ordered mine last night and can't wait to play it.

Jon

Mike Mayer <mwmayer@...>

I wonder how many they have left? I couldn’t resist at $25.91 total with shipping and ordered one yesterday.

Mike Mayer
mwmayer@...