Nice review of the PL-380 by Radio-Timetraveller

Gary Kinsman

Hello all,

Bill (Radio-Timetraveller) has posted an extensive review of the PL-380 on his blog.

http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/

Based on his review, and the earlier review by Gary De Bock, I decided to finally buy one.

Regards,
Gary

Rik

I noticed he said in that review, the 380 still has the whip antenna connected on AM, and although it is not noticeable with just the short whip, a longer wire used outside does boost AM signals. I will have to try that on my 310, since I don't have a 380. It seems connecting one of loops to the whip did make some difference too.

Interesting! Thanks for the link- FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Bill (Radio-Timetraveller) has posted an extensive review of the PL-380 on his blog.

http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/

Based on his review, and the earlier review by Gary De Bock, I decided to finally buy one.

Regards,
Gary

Rik

Do others here agree the PL-380 and the WRX 911 both connect the AM tank circuit to the whip antenna? I don't have either here, but I do have a PL 310. If this is true, than an external antenna could be attached to the whip for AM? That is how I read the article, but I am not sure. Anyone want to comment? - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Bill (Radio-Timetraveller) has posted an extensive review of the PL-380 on his blog.

http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/

Based on his review, and the earlier review by Gary De Bock, I decided to finally buy one.

Regards,
Gary

sdwillingham

The whip in a PL-3X0 goes to a preamp and filter circuit for shortwave operation. There is a diode switch used to connect the output of the preamp circuit to the AM tank. In MW operation, the whip is not connected to the AM tank.

The effect of a wire attached to the whip, as reported by Radio-Timetraveler, is likely a parasitic sort of counterpoise operation. This comes about because the internal ferrite antenna is unbalanced. My suspicion is that such a wire might add signal strength, but could degrade actual signal-to-noise as it is likely to pick up a lot of local manmade RF noise and even noise from the receiver itself.

-Scott-

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@...> wrote:

Do others here agree the PL-380 and the WRX 911 both connect the AM tank circuit to the whip antenna? I don't have either here, but I do have a PL 310. If this is true, than an external antenna could be attached to the whip for AM? That is how I read the article, but I am not sure. Anyone want to comment? - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@> wrote:

Hello all,

Bill (Radio-Timetraveller) has posted an extensive review of the PL-380 on his blog.

http://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com/

Based on his review, and the earlier review by Gary De Bock, I decided to finally buy one.

Regards,
Gary

Rik

Thanks Scott for both answers.- FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "sdwillingham" <sdwillingham@...> wrote:

[...]

bbwrwy

I've attached a long wire aerial to the whip on my PL-380. It has no benefit to medium or long wave reception. Actually it deteriorated the signal as suggested in Scott's post.

A solution for connecting an external antenna is in John Bryant's article on adding antenna inputs to the Tecsun receivers (in the Files section). It does required some careful surgery.

For those interested in FM DXing with a barefoot ULR, the PL-380 is ideal.

Good DX all.

Richard

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

gratiscomputer <gratiscomputer@...>

sdwillingham schreef:
The effect of a wire attached to the whip, as reported by Radio-Timetraveler, is likely a parasitic sort of counterpoise operation. This comes about because the internal ferrite antenna is unbalanced. My suspicion is that such a wire might add signal strength, but could degrade actual signal-to-noise as it is likely to pick up a lot of local manmade RF noise and even noise from the receiver itself.

I have added a wire to outside. The SW gives 15dB-20dB less signal when NO ferrite is connected.

I do not know how to slove this, as I sometimes listen without on hands ferrite loop .

Marc

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk