DEGEN 'window' loop? - FARMERIK

Rik

Several years ago I bought an AM only DEGEN folding loop travel antenna. It seemed to do absolutely nothing other than light the LED indicator when I turned it on, so I figured it was defective. A SW only version was also offered. I just noticed DEGEN is still selling this sort of antenna, but now one model covers AM and SW. Does anyone here have one, and if so how does it work? Radio Intel did a review of the SW version, comparing it to the similar SONY 'window' amplified loop antenna.
It might be interesting on the PL-360, not for DXing per se, but very portable for use on mountain top picnics. - FARMERIK

dhsatyadhana <satya@...>

I bought one of the MW/SW models about a year or so ago from Universal Radio, and it didn't work at all. It may have been defective, since others have had luck with them. However, I just returned it and got my money back (less shipping, natch...), so I don't know how well they work from personal experience. It's a neat idea at a great price point, though.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@...> wrote:

Several years ago I bought an AM only DEGEN folding loop travel antenna. It seemed to do absolutely nothing other than light the LED indicator when I turned it on, so I figured it was defective. A SW only version was also offered. I just noticed DEGEN is still selling this sort of antenna, but now one model covers AM and SW. Does anyone here have one, and if so how does it work? Radio Intel did a review of the SW version, comparing it to the similar SONY 'window' amplified loop antenna.
It might be interesting on the PL-360, not for DXing per se, but very portable for use on mountain top picnics. - FARMERIK

Rik

I thought Universal checked radios before shipping them out? The antenna came in a bubble pak, which you could tell if it had been opened though. I wonder if any of the ones shipped from China would have been checked. Enough must work, or no one would still sell them. - Rik

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana" <satya@...> wrote:

[...]

Universal still sells them as the Kaito 33. - FARMERIK

[...]

Tao Qu

de31: sw only
tg33 / ka33: mw only
tg34 / de31ms: mw + sw

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "farmerik" .> wrote:

> I thought Universal checked radios before shipping them out? The antenna came in a bubble pak, which you could tell if it had been opened though. I wonder if any of the ones shipped from China would have been checked. Enough must work, or no one would still sell them. - Rik
>
> --- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "dhsatyadhana" wrote:
> >
> > I bought one of the MW/SW models about a year or so ago from Universal Radio, and it didn't work at all. It may have been defective, since others have had luck with them. However, I just returned it and got my money back (less shipping, natch...), so I don't know how well they work from personal experience. It's a neat idea at a great price point, though.
> >
> > Kevin S
> > Bainbridge Island, WA
> >

> > --- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "farmerik" wrote:
> > >
> > > Several years ago I bought an AM only DEGEN folding loop travel antenna. It seemed to do absolutely nothing other than light the LED indicator when I turned it on, so I figured it was defective. A SW only version was also offered. I just noticed DEGEN is still selling this sort of antenna, but now one model covers AM and SW. Does anyone here have one, and if so how does it work? Radio Intel did a review of the SW version, comparing it to the similar SONY 'window' amplified loop antenna.
> > > It might be interesting on the PL-360, not for DXing per se, but very portable for use on mountain top picnics. - FARMERIK

Rik

Very interesting Tao Qu. My antenna is labeled as a TG33 and Mediumwave active loop, but the Universal Radio catalog describes the KA33 as tuning AM and SW 3.9 to 22 MHz. It only seems to have a single tuning control, and no band switch to select AM or SW, and with a gap from AM up to 3.9 MHz. it should have one or the other.

I really don't know what is going on here. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Tao Qu" <tquchina@...> wrote:

de31: sw only
tg33 / ka33: mw only
tg34 / de31ms: mw + sw

_____

Universal still sells them as the Kaito 33. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@ <mailto:ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com>

yahoogroups.com, "dhsatyadhana" <satya@> wrote:

[...]

Antonios Kekalos <akekalos@...>

I recently purchased the KA33 from Universal Radio. Still playing with it, but I have found that it does offer an improvement on SW using it with my KA1103. I have not tried the antenna in the MW switch position yet. When I first connected everything as described on the back of the box I misread the diagram and thought I had a dead unit as I detected nothing at all, no increase in signal strength, noise, anything. Reconfiguring it correctly made a world of difference.

--
Tony, N4RNI
Traverse City, MI

Rik

I didn't see a band switch in the Universal Radio diagram, but they might have just used an old illustration. I wouldn't expect this extremely compact for transport loop to be for DXing, but it might be handy to have. Folded up it must be smaller than most ULR's. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., Antonios Kekalos <akekalos@...> wrote:

[...]

--- In ultralightdx@... <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tao
Qu" <tquchina@> wrote:

de31: sw only
tg33 / ka33: mw only
tg34 / de31ms: mw + sw

_____

Universal still sells them as the Kaito 33. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@ <mailto:ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com<ultralightdx%2540yahoogroups.com>

[...]

Hanging from the bottom of the loop is a small, heart shaped device that has the SW/MW switch, at least that's how it's configured on the one I just bought.

--
Tony, N4RNI
Traverse City, MI

Tao Qu

Hi Farmerik,

Actually I am not familiar about the KA33 antenna, but as I know the following is confirmed:
de31: sw only
tg33: mw only
de31ms: mw and sw only
tg34: mw and sw only but have additional testing added in manufacturer side.

Regards,
- Tao Qu

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Tao Qu" .> wrote:

> de31: sw only
> tg33 / ka33: mw only
> tg34 / de31ms: mw + sw
>
> _____

Mine is clearly labeled MW, and has no switch at the loop like yours.

Another issue is all the 1/8th inch plugs on my TG 33 antenna are stereo, and may not connect well to mono 1/8th inch jacks. My SONY amplified antenna has 1/8th inch stereo jacks too, but the '7600 radio can shut off the amp. All the reel up antennas I have gotten with radios use 1/8th inch mono plugs.

I couldn't find a stereo 1/8th inch patch cord, so I tried connecting my loop for the TG 33 directly to the 1/8th inch antenna input jack on my PL-310 with a mono 1/8th to 1/8th cable. I think it disconnects the whip, but does not get any signal, so it could be the loop assembly which is defective.

I can't think of a radio I have here with an AM antenna input which is 1/8th inch, but a PL-360 is on its way. I could try the amp section on the TERK, and see if that part of my MW only TG 33 works.

[...]

--- In ultralightdx@... <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com><ultralightdx%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Tao
Qu" <tquchina@> wrote:

de31: sw only
tg33 / ka33: mw only
tg34 / de31ms: mw + sw

_____

From: ultralightdx@... <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com><ultralightdx%
40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:
ultralightdx@... <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com><ultralightdx%
40yahoogroups.com>] On
Behalf Of farmerik
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:54 AM
To: ultralightdx@... <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com><ultralightdx%
40yahoogroups.com>

[...]

Thanks! You are helping sort this all out. - FARMERIK

From: ultralightdx@ <mailto:ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

In my image, the 7600 has a very special design on the external antenna input socket, it has the power supply output here to support it's own external antenna (sorry I forgot the model name), so the degen loop antenna may will not works on it...

Hope this information is helpful..

Regards,
- Tao Qu

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Antonios Kekalos .> wrote:

> Hanging from the bottom of the loop is a small, heart shaped device that has
> the SW/MW switch, at least that's how it's configured on the one I just
> bought.
>
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM, farmerik .> wrote:
>

> > I didn't see a band switch in the Universal Radio diagram, but they might
> > have just used an old illustration. I wouldn't expect this extremely compact
> > for transport loop to be for DXing, but it might be handy to have. Folded up
> > it must be smaller than most ULR's. - FARMERIK
> >
> > --- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com 40yahoogroups.com>,
> > Antonios Kekalos wrote:
> > >
> > > I recently purchased the KA33 from Universal Radio. Still playing with
> > it,
> > > but I have found that it does offer an improvement on SW using it with my
> > > KA1103. I have not tried the antenna in the MW switch position yet. When
> > > first connected everything as described on the back of the box I misread
> > the
> > > diagram and thought I had a dead unit as I detected nothing at all, no
> > > increase in signal strength, noise, anything. Reconfiguring it correctly
> > > made a world of difference.

> > tuning AM
> > and no
> > it

> > 40yahoogroups.com>, "Tao

> > 40yahoogroups.com>[mailto:
> > 40yahoogroups.com>] On
> > 40yahoogroups.com>

> > 2540yahoogroups.com>

> > though.

> > 2540yahoogroups.com>

> > 2540yahoogroups.com>

> > only
> > sort
> > one,
> > but
> > > > > > > >

> > > --
> > > Tony, N4RNI
> > > Traverse City, MI
> > > SWLR-RN072
> > > EN74es
> > >

> --
> Tony, N4RNI
> Traverse City, MI
> SWLR-RN072
> EN74es

Rik

Yes, thanks. I didn't expect the DEGEN to work with the SONY, I just mentioned it because I noticed it also had stereo 1/8th inch plugs.

I realized the TG 33 came with a long stereo cable, so I tried that on the PL-310, connecting the loop directly without the TG 33 amp unit.

The 310's slow refreshing signal strength/ S/N ratio read out tried my patience. I switched to my PL-600 so I could see a quickly responding signal strength meter.

Tuned to a weak SW station, when I touched the tip of the 1/8th inch plug to the extended whip antenna OR to the ring on the SW antenna jack, I got a big increase in signal with back round noise. I tried plugging it in, and I think it did disconnect the whip and give some improvement part way inserted. When plugged in all the way, both the signal and the noise went away. Thinking of how my 4 foot loop acts on some radios, I tried increasing the volume control, and now I had a clear signal, with no noise at all!

I will definitely fiddle with this move when I have the time. I think the purpose of this sort of antenna is for electrically noisy or shielded rooms, and set up at a window, it allows reception.

Thanks for everyones help, this is interesting! - FARMERIK

yahoogroups.com, Antonios Kekalos <akekalos@> wrote:

[...]

yahoogroups.com <ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com><ultralightdx%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Tao
Qu" <tquchina@> wrote:

de31: sw only
tg33 / ka33: mw only