Tecsun PL-360 Plug-in Loopsticks-- Huge AM Sensitivity Boosts

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

The Tecsun PL-360 is one of the smallest Si4734 DSP-chip Ultralights, with a rather modest stock loopstick. It has fixed 3 kHz DSP selectivity, and fully enabled soft mute-- similar to the Tecsun PL-300WT/ Grundig G8 models. But is does one have one stellar quality that is unique among the DSP Ultralights produced so far-- the loopstick is of a plug-in variety, using a standard RCA phono plug. The owner can switch to an extremely sensitive 7.5" Amidon loopstick within a couple of seconds, without doing any "surgery" to the radio at all.

Today the first Amidon 7.5" plug-in loopstick for the PL-360 was created here, and it transforms this modest radio into a extremely sensitive DX chaser, fully equal to the E100 Sliders, 7.5" loopstick PL-380's and other DXing sensations. Both sensitivity and nulling ability are the equal of any other modified Ultralight, and the fact that a user can obtain this massive AM sensitivity boost without any modification to the radio is very exciting. For domestic DXers who don't usually need 1 kHz DSP selectivity, this radio may become a dream machine.

The stock 300 uh loopstick coil can easily be replaced with a plug-in design of the user's choice, and besides the 450 uh type 61 7.5" loopstick model shown, a medium-sized loopstick (on a different length of type 61 bar) will shortly be tested out here. The plug-in loopsticks may well make this model one of the most popular Ultralights for domestic DXers, and an ideal platform for loopstick experimentation.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Rik

IT WORKS!!!!

Now, who wants to wind and sell plug in ferrite antennas for the fumble fingered? - FARMERIK

[...]

fernandocano@...

i will buy one

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, D1028Gary@... wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> The Tecsun PL-360 is one of the smallest Si4734 DSP-chip Ultralights, with
> a rather modest stock loopstick. It has fixed 3 kHz DSP selectivity, and
> fully enabled soft mute-- similar to the Tecsun PL-300WT/ Grundig G8 models.
> But is does one have one stellar quality that is unique among the DSP
> Ultralights produced so far-- the loopstick is of a plug-in variety, using a
> standard RCA phono plug. The owner can switch to an extremely sensitive 7.5"
> Amidon loopstick within a couple of seconds, without doing any "surgery" to
> the radio at all.
>
> Today the first Amidon 7.5" plug-in loopstick for the PL-360 was created
> here, and it transforms this modest radio into a extremely sensitive DX
> chaser, fully equal to the E100 Sliders, 7.5" loopstick PL-380's and other
> DXing sensations. Both sensitivity and nulling ability are the equal of any
> other modified Ultralight, and the fact that a user can obtain this massive AM
> sensitivity boost without any modification to the radio is very exciting.
> For domestic DXers who don't usually need 1 kHz DSP selectivity, this radio
> may become a dream machine.
>
> The stock 300 uh loopstick coil can easily be replaced with a plug-in
> design of the user's choice, and besides the 450 uh type 61 7.5" loopstick model
> shown, a medium-sized loopstick (on a different length of type 61 bar)
> will shortly be tested out here. The plug-in loopsticks may well make this
> model one of the most popular Ultralights for domestic DXers, and an ideal
> platform for loopstick experimentation.
>
> 73 and Good DX,
> Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Jeff <jeff@...>

Knowing that mw can be quite good with this little radio, how is fm and sw reception? How does it compare to the 310 and 380 as well as any other small and portable Eton or Degen receivers? It sure looks like an ideal "carry everywhere you go" radio. I have the Degen 1105, Grundig G6, and Eton 100 for small, all around portables along with the Grundig G8. The 360 could be a great addition.
Jeff

[...]

john445 <john445@...>

I would buy one too!  :)

--
John Mosman
Discover joy in life and savor it everyday

Carl DeWhitt

It sounds great,Gary ! I will await the results of your experimentation eagerly.It would be great if they made a bandwith selectable DSP ulr that had a plug in loop stick.Something like a PL-380 with a plug in for a loop stick.
73
Carl DeWhitt
Maryville, Tn.

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Carl" wrote:

> It would be great if they made a bandwith selectable DSP ulr that had a plug in loop stick.Something like a PL-380 with a plug in for a loop stick.

About half an hour with a butter knife and a soldering iron is all it takes. Even better if you go the toroid-Hoop Loop route, as then you can use a real antenna. Being more than 3 times the width of a 7.5" rod, the Hoop Loop just blows it away. Plus, it looks nice in the living room. Your friends will think you're into modern sculpture.  Oh, that reminds me. Chris Knight had the idea of pinning a quilt on the frame to stealth-i-fy the Hoop Loop. You could change the fabric to suit the season. It's not just a DX magnet, it's a decorator's delight!  ;)

http://kr1s.kearman.com/html/hooploop.html

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/