500 at last

Paul Logan

Hi all,

well I finally made it to 500 and I have to say it took some doing! Just ywo years after starting!

500 was always the magic number I was aiming at, pickings are somewhat slim here in Europe where we have lots of very powerful stations but not the same volume of "locals" as can be found in North America.

Station 500 was 1650 CJRS Radio Shalom in Montreal heard at 0415 utc with French language programming. No id heard but cannot see what else could be running French on 1650. RX was an Eton E 100 with a Tecsun an200 9 inch loop.

Of the 500 only 19 loggings were aided with an external antenna.

I have to say I feel a real sense of achievement - it really was pretty tough going, but well worth it - reintroducing me to the "domestic" AM band after many years of hunting "dx". Now almost everything is DX and thats the thrill of ultralighting.

Along the way I've logged some completely new stuff which would look good on any list. An example was a 50 kw Iranian outlet in Urmia the other night on 936 - a first for me with any set up.

So now the very slow climb upward from 500....inspired by the rest of you. Thanks for all the fun.

regards

Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland

Listening Homepage: http://band2dx.webs.com/
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiofotos/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogi540

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

Paul,

Congrats on 500! A nice bonus that it was a TA.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/

bbwrwy

Paul:

Congratulations on logging 500 stations with an ultralight. Best wishes and good DX.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

Gary DeBock

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on logging 1650-CJRS on your E100 with the Tecsun 9" loop, and finally receiving station #500! That is an amazing accomplishment from Northern Ireland, especially when you split up your DXing time with the FM band, and set all-time new FM-DXing distance records :-)

You certainly have great patience in chasing DX primarily with barefoot Ultralights, and only occasionally with external antenna help. The opposite is the case here, where lack of patience has resulted in some legendary AM-DXing loops (perhaps resulting in the neighbor's lack of patience?).

As Rob has mentioned, we would be only too thrilled to award you for your fine DXing accomplishments, if you are so inclined. Great job, and good luck on chasing the next hundred!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

In a message dated 4/3/2010 10:28:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, va3sw@... writes:

Paul Logan wrote:

Hi all,

well I finally made it to 500 and I have to say it took some doing! Just ywo years after starting!

So now the very slow climb upward from 500....inspired by the rest of you. Thanks for all the fun.

regards

Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland

Paul......CONGRATULATIONS on hitting # 500 from Europe!! Welcome to the 500 Club!!

As you're well aware...things start getting even tougher with each 100 you hear...but I wish you success in reaching 600 real soon!!

Don't forget to submit your Logs for the 500 Heard Award....and If I remember correctly 500 also gets you the MASTER ULR DX Award as well!!

I'm sure Gary needs the work and won't mind printing you up these 2 Well Deserved Awards!!

Good Show Paul.......

73...ROB VA3SW (For the ULR Awards Committee)

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

robert ross

Paul Logan wrote:

[...]

many thanks Jim, Richard, Gary, and Robert, for all of your kind words regarding my latest UL milestone. It's a pleasure being part of this group.

Gary I have prety much exhausted barefoot possibilities at this point ( except for exceptional propagation conditions) - I think next winter I will concentrate on using loops - I'm envious of the monsters that inhabit your back yard btw.

Sadly my own neighbours are very close and already think I'm slightly unhinged so if they saw me tuning a 9 foot loop every dawn they might ask for a professional intervention of some sort!

Robert, I will send you some award applications soon. One will be for an upgrade on my Canadian provinces from 6 to 8 - I managed Alberta and BC last November barefoot - two particularly thrilling receptions of CKMX 1060 and CJVB 1470. Radio doesnt get much better than the sound of exotic signals out of palm sized radios!

regards to all and good dx

Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland