early afternoon DX with PL-380 & SAT this (and last) week

pianoplayer88key

Hi all... I took my PL-380, SAT & Zoom H2 outside this past week and recorded a few stations.  Most were recorded yesterday (2010-03-17) at around 3pm, but one was recorded a little over a week ago (2010-03-08), also at around 3pm.

All the ones recorded yesterday were in the 1 kHz bandwidth position.

530 - WNHV296 Los Angeles, CA (LAX TIS) - 33°56'43.0"N, 118°22'46.3"W
distance = 116.371 mi, heading = 315.08° (reference (from my location): 360°,0° = north, 180° = south)

680 KNBR San Francisco, CA - 37°32'50"N, 122°14'0"W
distance = 445.415 mi, heading = 319.41°
QRM was from a local - 690 XEWW (may be listed as XETRA), 77kW directional day, distance 32.355 mi, heading 188.75°,  barefoot PL-380 signal usually 63dBu RSSI (btw what does that stand for?), 25dB S/N

810 KGO San Francisco, CA - 37°31'35"N 122°6'2"W
distance = 439.377 mi, heading = 319.97°
QRM is from 800 XESPN, listed as 1kW, distance 17.532 mi, heading 192.93°

1230 KXO El Centro, CA - 32°46'34"N 115°32'58"W
distance = 81.117 mi, heading = 88.87°
QRM is from 1240 KNSN, 1kW non-directional, distance 11.188 mi, heading 245.90°

1570 KPRO Riverside, CA - 33°55'54"N 117°23'47"W
distance = 84.973 mi, heading = 342.30°
note the antenna pattern per FCC  and Radio-Locator .

distance = 14.373 mi, heading = 209.25°
This was recorded with the SAT, but can be heard fairly well barefoot (a little above the soft mute threshold if I remember correctly, although it's night right now and the QRM prevents me from checking)

The one recorded on the 8th was mostly in the 1kHz, but I did attempt to switch to 2kHz and tune 2kHz off in an attempt to get away from local QRM.  Also I'm not sure I have positively ID'd it, though.   I attempted to DX it today and couldn't get any trace of it.

(maybe?) 700 KALL North Salt Lake City, UT - 40°53'29"N 111°56'29"W
distance = 625.882 mi, heading = 24.76°
heavy QRM from 690 XEWW (or is it still XETRA?) - 77kW directional day, distance 32.355 mi, heading 188.75°,  barefoot PL-380 signal usually 63dBu RSSI, 25dB S/N.

Listening post is close enough to 32°45'40"N 116°56'50"W so that a legal part-15 FM station transmitting at that spot (although there is none that I'm aware of) would be receivable barefoot at my actual location.  As mentioned before, equipment used was:
radio: PL-380, unmodded (except for repair of a broken tuning knob which, after a few hiccups, was successful, although it did require repairing a trace on the PCB)
antenna: Select-A-Tenna
recorder: Samson Zoom H2, using direct audio cable connection

In many cases, in spite of using the 1kHz bandwidth and tuning 1kHz away from the QRM on the far side of the desired station, local stations 10 (or 11) kHz away were all but wiping out the stations I was trying to receive.  Is there anything that can be done to help alleviate that, short of relocating?

Also, I'm having some difficulty around the middle of the band.  There's a 50kW local (1170 KCBQ) that's 9.354 miles away at a heading of 7.28°, with a directional antenna pattern basically aimed toward me .  For about a few hundred kHz either way, the RSSI is about 30dBu in "blank spots" on the dial.  (In more rural areas it's more like about 15dBu or so.)   Can anything be done (for example, rewinding or replacing the internal loopstick) to alleviate that?  The apparent desensitization makes it difficult, if not impossible, to receive a few stations I would like to be able to listen to - 1110 KDIS Pasadena, CA (would possibly almost be strong enough to stop on while scanning, but with the desensitization is somewhat below the soft mute threshold), 1150 KTLK Los Angeles, CA, 1180 KERI Wasco-Greenacres, CA, and, if possible, 1160 KSL Salt Lake City (hey, if 700 from north of there can be heard here, why not 1160, even if it requires a SAT)?  Also, 10kW 1130 KSDO, 6.337 mi, directional , 350.28°, isn't making things any easier.

And, even if I am able to fix some of the barefoot deficiencies, there are times when I will want the extra boost of a larger loop antenna than the SAT, which just isn't cutting it anymore.   How much of an improvement would a 5.5" PVC loop be (or is the 4' one the largest that can be built without requiring a jumper to enable tuning the entire band) over the SAT?  (I mainly would like to, as much as possible, improve the barefoot performance, as I will not be able to use any type of external antenna for the vast majority of my casual listening  (for example, walking / biking around town, walking into a local mall, yogurt shop, etc).)  Anyone know of a way to put a loopstick in the battery compartment, and somehow figure out another way to get a 3.6V supply, while maintaining the barefoot appearance?  I don't really care about LW all that much, as I am unable to detect any LW stations near me.  It seems there should be plenty of room for a semi-decent stick there (I thought a month or two ago someone mentioned that they wanted to experiment with that, but I haven't heard anything since then), and I'd be willing to deal with somewhat of a reduction of battery life (I have plenty of Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh AAs.)  Also I would be interested in learning more about sdwillingham's method of defeating soft mute (although I do want to retain an internal speaker).

P.S. anyone know how to embed images in a group message using the web interface?

Gary DeBock

"And, even if I am able to fix some of the barefoot deficiencies, there are times when I will want the extra boost of a larger loop antenna than the SAT, which just isn't cutting it anymore.   How much of an improvement would a 5.5" PVC loop be (or is the 4' one the largest that can be built without requiring a jumper to enable tuning the entire band) over the SAT?  (I mainly would like to, as much as possible, improve the barefoot performance, as I will not be able to use any type of external antenna for the vast majority of my casual listening  (for example, walking / biking around town, walking into a local mall, yogurt shop, etc."

Hello Stephen,

The 4' and 5.5' PVC loops will give you a very major DXing signal boost over the SAT (or any similar-sized tuned passive loop) without the need to perform any surgery on your barefoot PL-380. Both indoors and outdoors, collapsible-frame versions of these sizable loops offer a rare combination of portability and convenience. You can use your barefoot PL-380 for the majority of listening, then quickly assemble a sizable PVC Loop whenever and wherever you wish to give you a major DXing boost (by inductive coupling). A photo album describing this system (my next project article) is at  http://www.mediafire.com/?hqyzzu1mvyt .

Although this portable PVC box loop system was designed for ocean beach runs (where a disassembled 5.5' loop and base can fit easily in a compact car), it works equally well indoors, where it can be quickly assembled for DXing in a bedroom, living room, etc. My own 36" version stays bedside during the TP season, and provided 15 new TP's last year.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 3/18/2010 3:48:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, pianoplayer88key@... writes:

[...]

So how would those loops compare to the ones mentioned in this article (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oPmhSxlPvz9gmFORdg--gWRcuxkNkQLaGI2yMmQyvSy6FWwgu1_6I3HU5U7SGgl7rPp5LiOnVhKOjp5PckOYLl_EhFJI67qBlGQGjxwOoQ/5%20Antennas%20and%20Equipment/Air%20Core%20Loop%20Antennas/Air%20Core%20Loop%20Designs%202009-05-13.pdf)? Also how would the data on that chart differ if the loops had been tested with the barefoot stock PL-380, and the Select-A-Tenna had been included?
I'm also thinking I'd want multiple-sized loops - one or two for indoor use, and one, two, or more for outdoor use. I was reading the _Using Tuned Passive Loop Antennas_ (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YGSkSwmb0VcyKNCX3F6fqGB023--aV1YCsHgCoGtUlnHx_VkyZNKIwVbJ2Pt_QcHS7qy0emoy-meuqtaQcVcGlCUMPLcsKJ28oX2SrtHTA/5%20Antennas%20and%20Equipment/Air%20Core%20Loop%20Antennas/Using%20Passive%20Loop%20Antennas.pdf) article, and based on that there will be times when I'll want to use multiple loops, one to boost the DX and the other to dodge local (often extremely strong barefoot) QRM. For indoor use, I might want a couple "main" loops - a 3' or 4' model for tabletop use, and a 6'6" (if not collapsible, although I want all of my loops to be fairly easily dismantlable and storable) or 7'10" (if collapsible - doorways are 6'7" or so and ceiling in most places is 8' (or 7' in a couple spots) loop. For outdoor use, I do have some more space, but not enough room for a beverage. I'm almost thinking a 9' loop may be too small for some of the DX I would like to do. However, a 90' loop would probably be too large, as the property is 90' wide, 25-30' of which is taken by a swimming pool and its enclosed area (and behind it a garden), and another 15-20' or so by virtue of an unpaved "driveway" on a lower level at the other end... so that basically dictates that my maximum loop size would be about 40-50' or so. (I do have something like 100-150' of room east to west, though - is it possible to do a beverage, or would I have to do something like _this_ (http://www.fybush.com/sites/2005/site-051028.html) (but designed for 153kHz while able to tune higher, and self-supporting, and obviously I can't afford something like that)?) Here's a _photo_ (http://picasaweb.google.com/PianoPlayer88Key/TecsunPL380#5451077209866004210) of the area where I could set up an outdoor antenna.
One thing that does make things a bit difficult, is my close proximity to some local powerhouses.

So when you tested the overload resistance of the PL-380... how close were you to KIRO, KTTH/KPTK, KGNW/KJR or KOMO's transmitter sites? Were you, for example, standing between a guy wire and its tower, with the 9' loop tuned to the station & pointed at the tower? (or for a real crunch test was there a direct antenna terminal to antenna terminal connection, and did you try for some +/- 1kHz TA mid morning or TP late afternoon Pacific Time?) ;)

I should mention that most of my interest in DXing is logging distant stations in the daytime. (Sure, I would like to log some TPs and TAs as well, but I have yet to have any success on the few I've tried, like 594 (QRM = 600 KOGO & IBOC), 693 (QRM = 690 XETRA/XEWW (not sure of calls)), 747, 756, 765, 774 (QRM challenging last 4 = 760 KFMB), 1125, 1134 (QRM making last 2 not easy = 1130 KSDO), just to name a few.) For example, in the loop antenna article I linked above that showed data from several loops, some of Bruce Carter's loops are mentioned in there. His website is down right now, but I remember he used his 4' and 5' loops to receive daytime stations over 1000 miles away, and I would at least like to duplicate, if not beat that. My current record, although somewhat unconfirmed, is _700 KALL North Salt Lake City, UT_ (http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/maybe%20700%20KALL%20-%20PL-380%20-%202010-03-08%203pm.mp3), on the SAT-assisted stock PL-380, a distance of 625 miles.

There will be some times when I want some stealth improvement - for example when I will be going places where even a small loop won't work and the radio has to be in my pocket, but I'm thinking based on the comparison MP3s I've heard, rewinding the stock stick just won't quite cut it for me. I annotated a _photo of the back of my opened PL-380_ (http://picasaweb.google.com/PianoPlayer88Key/TecsunPL380#5451077208075436146) - could something like that possibly be done? Also would locating a loopstick there help get it away from the noise generated by the chip and the LCD? There still is the issue of the local powerhouse sticks, though, some of which are 10 or 20 kHz away from stations I want to listen to, which themselves are, at best with the stock loopstick, "mumbling audio" or "carrier only" even if the local pest was to go off the air. In blank spots on the dial, in the middle it indicates about 40 dBu, and on the edges of the band it's around 30 dBu. (By comparison, when the radio is in a more rural area, or in a place that RF doesn't penetrate very well, it's typically 15 dBu in blank spots.) Is it possible, by improving the Q on an internal loopstick, to increase the rejection of / reduce the desensitization due to strong locals, when tuned off their channels farther than the bandwidth selection in use, by, say, 30-40 dBu?

I did record some annotated clips of several frequencies. Link to folder: http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20%5E52%5E6?uc=1
Included there is some reception (or attempt thereof in some cases), and some comparison (between barefoot PL-380, PL-380 with SAT, occasionally barefoot Panasonic RQ-SW20, my previous portable) of 610 KAVL (dodging 600's IBOC), 660 KTNN (maybe), 680 KNBR (dodging 690), 700 KALL (maybe, trying to dodge 690 and 710's IBOC), 810 KGO (dodging 800), 960 KIXW (dodging 950), 970 KNWZ, 1110 KDIS (1130 splatters on the RQ-SW20, raises noise floor to over 35dBu on PL-380), 1150 KTLK (1130 & 1170 splatter on the RQ-SW20, raise noise floor to over 42 dBu on the PL-380), 1180 KERN (trying to dodge 50kW 1170 9 miles away), 1280 KFRN (dodging 1270). They were all recorded around 1:30pm to 3pm local time a few days ago.

Taking my radio and antenna to a different location is not an option, due to how I expect to be using it. It just so happens that the stations I want to be able to listen to while doing other things (not necessarily while trying to DX that proverbial elusive TA's groundwave signal) happened to be totally undetectable on my previous radio (due to poor selectivity as you'll hear in a couple clips above, or poor sensitivity), which was why I got a PL-380 in hopes that it was significantly better. It is better, but still isn't quite good enough as is. One example is 1110, which on the Panasonic RQ-SW20, was completely buried under splatter from 1130, but can be faintly heard on the PL-380 even in 6 kHz bandwidth mode. However, due to strong local signals from 1130 (10kW at 6 mi) and 1170 (50kW at 9 mi, also there's a 50kW on 1090 but it's more like 26 miles away with a DA, and only reads about 52dBu) raising the noise floor up to 30 or 40 dBu, 1110 is still well below the soft mute threshold. :( Speaking of which, if there is a way to do Scott's mod to fix that without losing the internal speaker, I would be interested. Also, it would be nice if it was possible to somehow increase the signal display scale beyond the 63 dBu and 25 dB S/N caps on AM. (They're 2-digit displays so I think capping it at 99 dBu and 99 dB S/N would be plenty of range.)
Do I just live too close to powerhouse locals? :(

_http://www.mediafire.com/?hqyzzu1mvyt_ (http://www.mediafire.com/?hqyzzu1mvyt) .

pianoplayer88key@... writes:

Hi all... I took my PL-380, SAT & Zoom H2 outside this past week and
recorded a few stations. Most were recorded yesterday (2010-03-17) at around
3pm, but one was recorded a little over a week ago (2010-03-08)Most were
recorded yester

All the ones recorded yesterday were in the 1 kHz bandwidth position.

_530 - WNHV296 Los Angeles, CA (LAX TIS)_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/530
%20LAX%20-%20PL-380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) - 33°56'43.0"N,
118°22'46.3"W
distance = 116.371 mi, heading = 315.08° (reference (from my location):
360°,0° = north, 180° = south)

_680 KNBR San Francisco, CA_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/680%20KNBR%20-%2
0PL-380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) - 37°32'50"N, 122°14'0"W

distance = 445.415 mi, heading = 319.41°
QRM was from a local - 690 XEWW (may be listed as XETRA), 77kW directional
day, distance 32.355 mi, heading 188.75°, barefoot PL-380 signal usually
63dBu RSSI (btw what does that stand for?), 25dB S/N

_810 KGO San Francisco, CA_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/810%20KGO%20-%20P
L-380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) - 37°31'35"N 122°6'2"W

distance = 439.377 mi, heading = 319.97°
QRM is from 800 XESPN, listed as 1kW, distance 17.532 mi, heading 192.93°

_1230 KXO El Centro, CA_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/1230%20KXO%20-%20PL-
380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) - 32°46'34"N 115°32'58"W

distance = 81.117 mi, heading = 88.87°
QRM is from 1240 KNSN, 1kW non-directional, distance 11.188 mi, heading
245.90°

_1570 KPRO Riverside, CA_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/1570%20KPRO%20-%20P
L-380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) - 33°55'54"N 117°23'47"W

distance = 84.973 mi, heading = 342.30°
note the antenna pattern per _FCC_
(http://www.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/314302-23220.pdf) and _Radio-Locator_
(http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KPRO&service=AM&status=L&hours=D) .

_1620 WNSB415 - CalTrans HAR (TIS) San Ysidro, CA_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20
^51^6/1620%20WNSB415%20-%20PL-380%20-%202010-03-17%203pm.mp3) -
32°34'4.8"N 117°3'58.9"W
distance = 14.373 mi, heading = 209.25°
This was recorded with the SAT, but can be heard fairly well barefoot (a
little above the soft mute threshold if I remember correctly, although it's
night right now and the QRM prevents me from checking)

The one recorded on the 8th was mostly in the 1kHz, but I did attempt to
switch to 2kHz and tune 2kHz off in an attempt to get away from local QRM.
Also I'm not sure I have positively ID'd it, though. I attempted to DX it
today and couldn't get any trace of it.

(maybe?) _700 KALL North Salt Lake City, UT_
(http://cid-6bdd1917662288cb.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AM%20radio%20files/PL-380%20March%202010%20^51^6/
maybe%20700%20KALL%20-%20PL-380%20-%202010-03-08%203pm.mp3) - 40°53'29"N

(http://www.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1342067-109679.pdf) . For about
(http://www.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/162380-8302.pdf) , 350.28°, isn't making things any
[...]

about sdwillingham'Also I would be interested in learning more about
sdwillingham'<WBR>s method of defe