Tecsun PL-310 rechargeable batteries

kg4lac <kg4lac@...>

New Tecsun PL-310 from China was supposed to include rechargeable batteries. 3 Tecsun QN1000m Size R6 1.2 volt batteries were included. Are these rechargeable? Or, are they regular batteries?

Thanks.

Kraig, KG4LAC

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "kg4lac" wrote:

> New Tecsun PL-310 from China was supposed to include rechargeable batteries. 3 Tecsun QN1000m Size R6 1.2 volt batteries were included. Are these rechargeable? Or, are they regular batteries?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kraig, KG4LAC

Hi, Kraig,

Non-rechargeable alkaline cells are 1.5 V. Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd/Nicad) and Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) cells are 1.2 V, and both are rechargeable. Yours are probably NiMH. "Size R6" is another name for "AA."

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/

Tony Germanotta

I just checked the ones that came with my PL-310 and they were the same model batteries. I believe they are rechargeable due to the voltage specified and the fact that they declared their capacity in mAH.  I never did use them, though, because they are only 1000mAH and I had three 2500 mAH batteries here. They give 2 1/2 times the run time and charge up just fine in the radio.

On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:04 PM, jim_kr1s wrote:

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "kg4lac" wrote:

> New Tecsun PL-310 from China was supposed to include rechargeable batteries. 3 Tecsun QN1000m Size R6 1.2 volt batteries were included. Are these rechargeable? Or, are they regular batteries?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kraig, KG4LAC

Hi, Kraig,

Non-rechargeable alkaline cells are 1.5 V. Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd/Nicad) and Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) cells are 1.2 V, and both are rechargeable. Yours are probably NiMH. "Size R6" is another name for "AA."

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/

kg4lac <kg4lac@...>

Tony,
OK. Thanks. Wasn't sure as batteries mostly have Chinese writing on them.

73,

Kraig

kg4lac <kg4lac@...>

Jim,
OK. Thanks.

73,

Kraig

Phil Pasteur

Thos sound just like the ones I got with the three different PL--310 radios that I have purchased. Yes they are NiMH rechargeable batteries. The best I could tell from the chinese markings is that they are rated for 2400 mAh. I tested the 9 that have gone through my hands. They ranged from about 1600 down to 1100 mAh. There was one that tested way low in each group of three. As they run in series, you will be limited by the one with the lowest capacity. I did not get acceptable run time with the provided batteries. I decided to just get rid of them and put some Eneloops in there that all were testing close to 2000 mAh. I get much better results now. Though it is a nice touch that they supply batteries, what you get doesn't seem to be very high quality. My recommendation would be to get some good name brand low self discharge cells like the Sanyo Eneloops to use in your new radio.

Phil

--- In ultralightdx@..., "kg4lac" <kg4lac@...> wrote:

New Tecsun PL-310 from China was supposed to include rechargeable batteries. 3 Tecsun QN1000m Size R6 1.2 volt batteries were included. Are these rechargeable? Or, are they regular batteries?

Thanks.

Kraig, KG4LAC

John A. Figliozzi

Get used to it, Kraig. That's our future! :-))

---- kg4lac <kg4lac@...> wrote:

Tony,
OK. Thanks. Wasn't sure as batteries mostly have Chinese writing on them.

73,

Kraig

Rik

Rechargable cells might need to go through a few complete discharge and recharge cycles before they get up to full capacity. The SANYO cells are MUCH better, I use them all the time. They are much higher quality, and slow self discharge is MUCH better for radios you don't use too much. NiMH goes dead in a month or so weather you use it or not. - FARMERIK