PL-360 available from anon-co $69.99 shipped

George Sherman

It doesn't have a keypad, is very tall but narrow, maybe 2". The jack for external antenna is a mini-jack on the top of the radio. You can use it to plug in the supplied 3" (roughly) LW/MW ferrite bar, or any antenna of your choice if you can attach a mini-plug to it.

I'm not a projects person as little or no technical ability but I was thinking some may find this interesting for making their own plug-in antenna. 73, George S., MN

Rik

That does look very interesting. I can't see that it tunes in 1 Kc. steps or has and adjustable bandwidth. It could be interesting with the AM antenna jack. Can anyone read the small print on the many push button controls? - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "georgesmn" <georgesmn@...> wrote:

It doesn't have a keypad, is very tall but narrow, maybe 2". The jack for external antenna is a mini-jack on the top of the radio. You can use it to plug in the supplied 3" (roughly) LW/MW ferrite bar, or any antenna of your choice if you can attach a mini-plug to it.

I'm not a projects person as little or no technical ability but I was thinking some may find this interesting for making their own plug-in antenna. 73, George S., MN

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

Good spot! The antenna situation is interesting. The plug-in antenna doesn't seem to have a tuning knob. So you'd expect the radio to tune it. But they show the AN-2000 plugged in. That antenna has a built-in tuning capacitor, which intuition says would make it impossible for the radio to tune it at MW, though it would probably resonate at LW. Yeah, you'd hear stations at MW, but you'd lose the ability of the radio to tune the antenna. An external antenna without tuning cap, and of the right inductance, would work, though.

Can't make out the buttons, but no mention of adjustable selectivity. This looks like a toy, not a proper replacement for the PL-380, which the lower model number supports. Maybe they had some broken pieces of ferrite rod to use up. Let's keep fingers x-ed that there's a -390 or -400 coming, with soft-mute-defeat option and a fat internal antenna wound with real Litz wire!

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/