600 WSJS Winston-Salem NC heard at Noordhoek, South Africa

freetodx

Hi guys

The mid summer months can provide some interesting TA reception here in South Africa.

WSJS Winston Salem NC on 600 kHz

During a recent family holiday/dxpedition to Noordhoek (approximately 20 kilometres south of Cape Town) I was fortunate to receive some early TA openings from the U.S.  Included was the surprise recepton of WSJS,  Winston Salem NC on 600 kHz for the first time via the Sony SRF M37V and 220 metre BOG  ( The 5 kw signal made it through over a distance of 12 830 km).

QSL

Morning Show News Director Smith Patterson was quite surprised to receive my email reception report and sent the following reply a few hours ago :

" Confirmed most assuredly - Wow ! Really though thanks for sharing ! Everyone in the station, including the engineers are amazed. Glad to have corresponded with you. This made my day ! "

Smith also kindly promised to send something in the mail. The kind response sure made my day too !

AUDIO AND PICS

For those interested,  I've uploaded a brief audio clip of the reception and a panoramic image of the dx location to www.capedx.blogspot.com

NOSTALGIA

The early years from a South African dxer's point of view at www.capedx.blogspot.com may also be also be of interest - inlcudes a few pics and some Trans Atlantic audio  from the 1970's.

73's and wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2010 !

Gary Deacon

Fish Hoek

Cape Peninsula

South Africa

www.capedx.blogspot.com

robert ross

freetodx wrote:

Hi guys

The mid summer months can provide some interesting TA reception here in South Africa.

WSJS Winston Salem NC on 600 kHz

During a recent family holiday/dxpedition to Noordhoek (approximately 20 kilometres south of Cape Town) I was fortunate to receive some early TA openings from the U.S.  Included was the surprise recepton of WSJS,  Winston Salem NC on 600 kHz for the first time via the Sony SRF M37V and 220 metre BOG  ( The 5 kw signal made it through over a distance of 12 830 km).

Gary:

   Hey I was listening to them just the other night around Midnight........at the honking big distance of about 500 Miles!!! Your reception sorta kicks the hell out of mine eh!!

Way to go....another GREAT piece of DX from South Africa!!! You are so lucky to be in a PRIMO DX Location!!!

Congratulations........and keep chalking them up with the Ultralights!! WOW!!!

73...ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

bbwrwy

Gary:

Congrats on hearing WSJS in South Africa. I doubt it will be heard here. The frequency is too crowded; however, two days ago I logged CJWW, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 600 kHz, for the first time.

Good DX.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
[near Perry OK USA]
Sony SRF-T615, Tecsun PL-310 & PL-380

freetodx

Thanks Rob and Richard

It's interesting that TA propagation from the U.S. seemed best during the early hours (1:00 am - 4:00 am local / 2300hrs - 0200 hrs UTC) with no local dawn enhancement. In fact U.S. signals seemed to fade out with the onset of local dawn (around 5:00 am local / 0300 hrs UTC) during the few occasions I dxed (4th Jan -11th Jan 2010).

1670 kHz BBC Relay

A few other interesting TA stations made it through including an unidentified station relaying the BBC world service on 1670 kHz.  Any ideas ?

73

Gary

Gary Deacon

Fish Hoek