Topics

Ultralight TP #114-- A Real Shocker #114--

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

A modified ultralight radio has apparently received a TP station that is an all-time west-coast first-- regardless of any ocean beach location, or advanced equipment used.

The 594-KBS1 station in Yeongju, South Korea (10 kw), is usually covered up by the Japanese super-station JOAK (300 kw) in Tokyo, Japan, and almost never gets a chance to be heard on the west coast. The station had never been heard during any recent west coast DXpedition (according to Chuck Hutton), or even by Patrick Martin, who has lived on the Oregon coast for over 25 years.

During weird late October propagation, I was using the experimental (and somewhat fanatical) 9' sided PVC loop, which has the highest Q (and best performance) on the lower band frequencies. While DXing with a modified C.Crane SWP ultralight radio around local sunrise at 1430 on October 29th, I found the signal from JOAK seriously underpowered, and detected a weak co-channel TP playing KBS-type (Korean) music on the frequency. Listening further, the music station rose up in strength to compete with JOAK, finally having a female announcer using what sounded like Korean. I recorded an MP3 of the JOAK-UnID mix, and submitted it to Chuck. Chuck submitted it to Bill Harms, who confirmed the language as Korean. Chuck then informed me that in his opinion, I had received the 10 kw KBS1 station in Yeongju, South Korea. A link to the MP3 recording follows, which apparently is the first case of an Ultralight radio receiving an all-time new TP on the west coast. The recording features the male voiced JOAK announcer, with the music (and female-voiced) KBS1 station mixing strongly.

The experimental 9' PVC box loop has been thrilling beyond all expectations, and I hope to write a full report on its performance soon. Even in the modest inland location of Puyallup, it is a DXer's dream antenna.

73 and Best Wishes,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA USA)

Gary DeBock

Hello Kirk, Horacio and Richard,

Thanks very much for your comments on the 594-KBS1 reception, and on the 9' box loop, which are all greatly appreciated. I guess the reception proves that DXing dreams do occasionally come true :-)

There have been several recent refinements to the 9' PVC loop design, updating the plans written in the PVC Loop article posted on Ultralightdx, dxer.ca and am-dx.com. These refinements were mainly to ensure highly symmetrical coils in all types of weather. The huge tuned passive loop does require some real estate (and understanding neighbors), but the $52 investment in PVC pipe, wire and a tuning capacitor will thrill the socks off of most any DXer.

Some comments have been made in the past (not in this group) about Ultralight radios not being suitable for all-out transoceanic DXing-- I think we can now officially dismiss this idea :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 11/6/2009 6:32:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, richarda@... writes:

Gary:

Congratulations on the unusual catch. Like Kirk, I'm envious and sure it's one TP signal that won't be heard in Oklahoma.

I am thinking about building a loop similar to yours for use with my WiNRADiO G313e.

Best wishes for a good DX weekend.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N/97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)
Sony SRF-T615
Etón E100/Quantum QX Loop

Kirk <kirk74601@...>

Gary,

Fantastic catch there buddy! I'm feeling a bit green around the edges after reading your report:)

Kirk Allen
Pasadena, TX

_http://www.mediafire.com/?mzzyctztyzn_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?mzzyctztyzn)

The experimental 9' PVC box loop has been thrilling beyond all
expectations, and I hope to write a full report on its performance soon. Even in the
modest inland location of Puyallup, it is a DXer's dream antenna.

73 and Best Wishes,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA USA)

Horacio Nigro <hanigrodx@...>

I hope to get the 9' PVC box loop plans soon!

   Horacio A. Nigro

    Montevideo
    Uruguay

--- In ultralightdx@ yahoogroups. com, D1028Gary@.. . wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> A modified ultralight radio has apparently received a TP station that is an
> all-time west-coast first-- regardless of any ocean beach location, or
> advanced equipment used.
>
> The 594-KBS1 station in Yeongju, South Korea (10 kw), is usually covered
> up by the Japanese super-station JOAK (300 kw) in Tokyo, Japan, and almost
> never gets a chance to be heard on the west coast. The station had never
> been heard during any recent west coast DXpedition (according to Chuck
> Hutton), or even by Patrick Martin, who has lived on the Oregon coast for over 25
> years.
>
> During weird late October propagation, I was using the experimental (and
> somewhat fanatical) 9' sided PVC loop, which has the highest Q (and best
> performance) on the lower band frequencies. While DXing with a modified
> C.Crane SWP ultralight radio around local sunrise at 1430 on October 29th, I
> found the signal from JOAK seriously underpowered, and detected a weak
> co-channel TP playing KBS-type (Korean) music on the frequency. Listening further,
> the music station rose up in strength to compete with JOAK, finally having
> a female announcer using what sounded like Korean. I recorded an MP3 of the
> JOAK-UnID mix, and submitted it to Chuck. Chuck submitted it to Bill
> Harms, who confirmed the language as Korean. Chuck then informed me that in his
> opinion, I had received the 10 kw KBS1 station in Yeongju, South Korea. A
> link to the MP3 recording follows, which apparently is the first case of an
> Ultralight radio receiving an all-time new TP on the west coast. The
> recording features the male voiced JOAK announcer, with the music (and
> female-voiced) KBS1 station mixing strongly.
>
> _http://www.mediafir e.com/?mzzyctzty zn_
> (http://www.mediafir e.com/?mzzyctzty zn)
>
> The experimental 9' PVC box loop has been thrilling beyond all
> expectations, and I hope to write a full report on its performance soon. Even in the
> modest inland location of Puyallup, it is a DXer's dream antenna.
>
> 73 and Best Wishes,
> Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA USA)

bbwrwy

Gary:

Congratulations on the unusual catch. Like Kirk, I'm envious and sure it's one TP signal that won't be heard in Oklahoma.

I am thinking about building a loop similar to yours for use with my WiNRADiO G313e.

Best wishes for a good DX weekend.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N/97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)
Sony SRF-T615
Etón E100/Quantum QX Loop

bbwrwy

Gary:

Living in a rural area the neighbors aren't a problem and there's lots of estate for the antenna. The only obstacle is myself. I don't seem to get anything done. That why a barefoot ULR has been so attractive.

BTW: I caught JOUB 774 and JOAK 594 again the morning, plus several hets on my tiny T615.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)