New Sony ULR spotted on eBay: the ICF-40

satya@...

Hi all:

I've seen this elsewhere outside North America, but the ICF-40 is now for
sale on eBay, $36.99 delivered from an apparently reputable dealer out of
Korea. See item number 130305820932. The seller has three listed, so who
knows how many he actually has.

The ICF-40 is an analog set with speaker. If it's the SRF-39 or 59 with a
larger tuning dial and speaker, it could be an appealing unit! It's also
styled a bit more elegant than most. Based on the listed size and
apparent lack of esoteric features, this appears to be an ULR that meets
the definitions, so it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any
first- (or second-) hand knowledge of this!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

m_a_schuster

Nice catch!

Since it uses two AAA batteries, it's a good bet the circuit design differs from the SRF-x9 series which operate on a single cell. Also, being a non-NAM model it does not seem to cover the expanded MW band - at least from the dial markings. Perhaps a tracking adjustment could fix that!

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, satya@... wrote:

Hi all:

I've seen this elsewhere outside North America, but the ICF-40 is now for
sale on eBay, $36.99 delivered from an apparently reputable dealer out of
Korea. See item number 130305820932. The seller has three listed, so who
knows how many he actually has.

The ICF-40 is an analog set with speaker. If it's the SRF-39 or 59 with a
larger tuning dial and speaker, it could be an appealing unit! It's also
styled a bit more elegant than most. Based on the listed size and
apparent lack of esoteric features, this appears to be an ULR that meets
the definitions, so it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any
first- (or second-) hand knowledge of this!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

dhsatyadhana <satya@...>

Hey Mike:

You're right - the two battery feature makes it stick out, although the single battery models (SRF-59, M37V) don't have a speaker to drive, so perhaps the two batteries are for the speaker models?

As an analog set, aligning it out to 1700 khz is probably quite doable. The longer tuning dial looks like a good feature, and the "Bordeaux Red" versions common in Europe are, well, fetching!

I'm always the optimist, but my fear is that it shares the same circuitry as the S10-MK2, that rather dismal pocket radio that Sony still manages to market.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "m_a_schuster" <schuster@...> wrote:

[...]

Brett Saylor <bds2@...>

You can download a multi-language user's manual for that radio at this URL:

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/SONY/ICF-40-_3

It doesn't provide much information, but it does list the AM range as
526.5-1605.5 kHz,

Brett

satya@...

Thanks Brett - I saw that earlier to day as well. I noticed that it has a
tuning LED as the S10-MK2 has, and both are powered by two batteries (2
AAA for the ICF-40, 2 AA for the S10-MK2). So, given that they are at the
same price point, and about the same size, I wonder if it they are in fact
the same inside.

Hopefully someone will chime in here that has used the ICF-40???

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA