Equinoxial Propagation in the Southern Hemisphere

Gary DeBock

For Gary, Vince and John in South Africa (and Horacio and Huelbe in South America),

This question was raised by one of our dedicated TP and TA DXers on the IRCA mailing list, and I'm sure that some of you could answer his question quite well. Do you notice that long-range DX conditions are much better in the months of August, September and October (like here in the Northern Hemisphere), or during the months of March and April? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

73, Gary DeBock

Having been an ardent TP and TA DXer for several seasons, I've noticed that in my part of the world, the Fall equinox far exceeds Spring equinox for TP and TA DX.  My question is thus:  Do our DU colleagues experience the same Fall/Spring differences (ie their Fall/Spring), or do they mimic our September superiority over March?  Has there been any research in this area, and explanation for the differences?  .....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.

Gary DeBock

Hello Huelbe,

Thank you for your information about Equinox DX in Brazil, which is much appreciated. I will forward it to Walt in Victoria, B.C., Canada.

73, Gary

In a message dated 4/1/2009 7:00:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, huelbe_garcia@... writes:

On Jan 9 2008 I sent a message YahooGroups "MW-BR" list reporting my surprise when a few Brazilian DXers were ables to listen do trans-oceanic station in the summer. Rocco Cotroneo replied on same day me more or less like this:

1) In North and North-East Brazil, LW and MW station could be heard all months of the year without much variation. Obviously, it depends heavily on gray-line as in any location.

2) In Bahia (central-east of Brazil), you can hear North America with good propagation condition.  However it is likely to hear
North America and European stations in (Brazilian) Summer due (north hemisphere) longer darkness period and less ionization. You can hear Middle-East all year at sunset. Africa stations are favored in (Brazilian) Winter.

3) In South-East coast of Brazil (eg São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro), it follow the same rule above, but with less signal strength due distance: Africa in Winter, Europe in Summer, Middle-east all months, and hardly, very uncommon, North America (as always).

4) However, in countryside of south-east one can hear some US stations between February and July.

5) In general, the best conditions for MW listening occurs in equinoxes (March-April,  September-October) when even China and Taiwan could get through. Rocco's best DXs were in these periodos.

6) Rocco has never worked in south of Brazil, but he would give a try with miles of wire :) so to listen AU and NZ stations.

7) Location is all :)

--hg

D1028Gary@aol.com wrote, On 01/04/2009 19:55:

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.

Vincent Stevens <vince999@...>

Hmmm...Difficult to tell really cos I don't listen every day...BUT..There is some kind of mid-winter anomaly that I've noticed. Signals from across both ponds seem to be best either side of this period. In fact some of the best N.American reception for me has come in midsummer recently (January)..and Aussie reception is good in May, August & Sept if I recall correctly..

Vince

Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession <http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?ncid=emlcntuscare00000003>.