ULTRALIGHT DX..... REPLY to JACK LEONARD..RE SONY SRF-T615 ULR

robert ross

franktowntrain wrote:

Hi Robert, I have been following your posts for a few days now and am
wondering how you like using the Sony SRF-615. I read a post in
DXer.ca by you (can't find it this AM) but I thought you said you got
back into DXing a little over a year ago with an SRF-59. I'm using an
SRF-59 but find the analog tuning difficult. How do you compare the
two? The price is stopping me at the moment from getting a 615.
Best regards
Jack Leonard

Hi Jack:

Welcome to the Group..and thanks for writing.....

I started out DXing with an SRF-59 in Jan/2008....but I switiched over to the SONY SRF-T615 about the beginning of Feb/2008. The SRF-59 is a GREAT Little Pocket Radio....But I wanted something with a DIGITAL READOUT for ease of Tuning.

I have been using the SRF-T615 ever since..and Boy am I glad I switched!! I just bought a 2nd One last month.....for a Back Up just in Case!! In my Opinion...It is the Best STOCK ULR going!! Some will argue that point........but there are others who will surely back me on this. It is a little (Or a LOT) on the expensive side.....but I don't regret buying 2 of them...and even with all the other sets I have ...it is still the one I always reach to for most of my DX!!

It's a Killer little Machine.......and probably one of the most ergonomic ULRs out there.

My Log Totals using this Radio....along with a few others from time to time is now 644 Stations Heard in 26 Months of ULR DXing.

Perhaps some of the other T615 Owners will chime in here...and tell you what they think of their T615's??!! The more opinions the Merrier...but I don't think you'd be disappointed...other than having to spend a few Extra Bucks Jack!!

The T615 has already been discussed a few times on the ULR Reflector Jack...if you check some of the back messages...you should see the messages about the T615.......

Regards...........ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW London, Ontario CANADA

bbwrwy

Jack:

Welcome.

Like Robert, I also started out with the SRF-59 and due to my
arthritic thumbs found the analog tuning troublesome. I have mostly
used a SRF-T615e as my primary ULR. The majority of the 581 stations
I've heard was with the "tiny giant". I've heard stations from across
the Atlantic and Pacific on the T615 using only its internal antenna.

Besides sensitivity, one of the receiver's pluses is its antenna,
allowing for very tight nulls - often better than larger loops. As
with any receiver I've used there is always a downside. The T615
doesn't handle strong adjacent frequency signals as well as say the
E100. This is mostly a problem during the daytime, for I rarely
encounter it at night.

There are lower cost alternatives to the T615. The one most often
mentioned is the Etón E100. It offers the possibility of future
modification. Another is the Sangean DT-400W.

For more on the subject I suggest you look at the www.dxer.ca website.
It contains a wealth of information on the ultralight receivers.
Unfortunately the perfect receiver has yet to be marketed

Best wishes and good DX.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'36"W
(near Perry OK USA)

franktowntrain <jleonard@...>

Richard, thanks for the advice. "arthritic thumbs" thats exactly the
same problem I have. You wouldn't think that would have any effect on
a hobby that mainly involves listening to a radio? You don't say but
are you using the T615 "barefoot"? I have an E100 but I'm a little
disappointed with it. How is the 615 at holding a signal? Although I
am trying to log as many stations as I can, occasionally find myself
stopping to listen if something interests me, and until I started on
this hobby very recently I was unaware at the great variety of stuff
on the MW frequencies.
Sorry, my mistake you did say that you are mainly using the radio's
internal antenna.
Thanks
Jack Leonard
Smiths Falls, ON
Canada

--- In ultralightdx@..., "bbwrwy" <richarda@...> wrote:

[...]

Thus far, I've only used my SRF-T615 barefoot. I'm not sure what you
mean by "holding a signal". The T615 is quite sensitive, but it will
not receive the very weak signals sometimes audible on a more
expensive communications set like my ICOM R75. Weak signals are
always going to be easier to hear with communications receiver I find
when the signal fades out on the T615 it's still audible on the ICOM
for awhile longer. But for a very miniscule receiver I find it
phenomenal.

Your E100 probably just needs a good alignment. Look at John Bryant's
article "The Eton E100: Disassembly & Alignment" posted at
www.dxer.ca. Once aligned, it should be as sensitive or even more
than the T615 at the high end of the AM band. However, it will still
be less sensitive at the lower end of the band. That's why DXers have
been modifying their E100 with "slider" antennas.

I would use my E100 more if it were not for the extreme nulling
capability of the T615. The Etón has advantages over the T615, such
as direct frequency entry and ability to be tune in 1 kHz steps. I
have heard Japan and Croatia in Oklahoma with a barefoot, stock E100.

Before spending a lot of money (almost double from a year ago) on a
T615, my suggestion is have your E100 re-aligned. If you don't feel
comfortable aligning it yourself, there is somebody here that will
help you.

Best wishes.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'36"W
(near Perry OK USA)

franktowntrain <jleonard@...>

Richard, thanks for your kind advice, I've just gotten in to AM Dxing
but finding it a very rewarding hobby if a little confusing as to what
equipment I should be using. Yes the price of the T615 is a problem
for me, I am considering the Sangean DT200VX after reading Gary
DeBock's 2008 shootout article on DXer.ca. He thinks the DT200VX is
worthy rival for the T615. Gary says.
"The 2007 Shootout digital winner, the DT-200VX, is tough competition
however , with superior memory capacity, superior immunity to urban RF
issues, and very competitive AGC and audio. The choice of these two
would basically depend on whether urban RF issues are
likely to be a major problem."
I can buy the Sangean unit here in Canada for less than half the cost
of the T615, that's a big difference. Unfortunately there is a 3 week
wait from the Canadian supplier right now, but I could handle that.
As to the Eton E100, I have come to appreciate that it is a very good
AM receiver and no doubt I will learn to use it better as time goes
on. As to alignment, I'm afraid I don't have the technical skills to
undertake that. I do notice when using the E100 that I can hear
sometimes 1 or two stations "under" the main signal I am listening to
and I think what you mean by alignment would probably help to seperate
those signals?
Thanks to all for the help and advice
Jack Leonard