Spanish speaking stations

Allen Willie

Hi John,

Welcome aboard our group . I don't speak Spanish myself either but after being here in the North Atlantic for the past 7 years I've sort of  got an ear for Spanish from hearing all the Transatlantics from Spain  here in Newfoundland  nightly.

I've found through my own experience  that  repitition is the key, listening to a Spanish station over several different times for a lengthy period  each time can help.

Even though a person may not fully understand the entire speech, certain words similar to English in amongst the speech tend to stand out as recognizable to the listener.

As John Cereghin in Deleware mentioned the top of the hour at ID time is probably the best time to figure out what  the station is , but  even off the top of the hour I've found through this method of repitition it  has yielded me some great catches as well .

Best of DX

Allen Willie
St. John's, Newfoundland

MarkWA1ION

One thing that makes ID'ing stations from Spain easy is all the
parallel channels, e.g. RNE on 531, 558, 567, 576, 585, 603, 621,
639, 657, 684, 729, 738, 747, 774, 801, 855, 936, 972, 1107, 1152,
etc.

Other networks in Spain such as COPE, SER, and EI have similarly
large groups of parallel frequencies.

Cuba's Progreso, Rebelde, and Reloj networks are also large with
many parallel channels. The clock-ticking and once-a-minute
Morse "RR" beeps on the Cuban Reloj stations such as 570 blowtorch
make ID'ing those quite simple.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

--- In ultralightdx@..., Allen Willie <vo1_001_swl@...>
wrote:
[...]

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

I speak about three phrases of street Spanish and that is all, but I've come to love DXing Spanish-speaking stations.... So far in Ultralighting, I'm almost to cross the 50 Latins Heard barrier and loving every minute of it.  I also have logged about a dozen SS language US stations. I should mention, too, that combined with the other two Okie Ultralighters, we have now heard just over 100 Latin stations... Kirk and Richard Allen (the other two) don't speak anymore Spanish than I do.

Mark mentioned parallels... that works well for a number of different circumstances with the Spanish, the Cubans and  few of the Mexicans.  There is also the possibility of SW parallels in some cases and paralleling live feeds on the internet, too. Google helps a lot.

For Mexicans, there are two EXCELLENT references.  The IRCA Mexican Log is top-rate and I find it very useful.  It sounds dumb, but the listing of the Spanish pronunciation of the Alphabet in the IRCA Log has helped me immensely with call letters. The Mexican Log is available on-line and modestly priced.  The other "don't be without it" resource for Mexican is the Mexican List kept privately by one of the dean of the hobby, John Callerman. That list, last updated about a year ago is meticulously researched and contains a wealth of information.  I could share that list with anyone interested, I'm sure....  Contact me off-list.

Finally, I find recording the catches is critical to IDing foreign language stations of any sort, but especially the Mexicans.... I still don't have that alphabet memorized even yet... and reviewing the audio and even enhancing it with Cool Edit Pro has gotten me about a third of my confirmed IDs.  If you have not yet started recording from Ultralights and are unsure of the techniques, I've edited a composite article on that subject that will be released in just the next day or two. You may find that useful.

So.... don't dodge the Spanish.... it can really be fun and you DO NOT have to understand much to positively ID the station...  Besides that, if you don't understand the language, you don't have to listen to the program.... now, if I could just get Rush and a few others to start speaking Spanish or ANYTHING except English...

Good luck and Hasta La Vista, Babee!

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array

wrote:
[...]

Brandon Jordan <bcdx.org@...>

Another good resource for XE stations, free that I might add, is the KOMEX List from Finnish DX Association, and it can be downloaded here:

http://www.tapiokalmi.net/dx/koje/koje1.html

For you GeoClock fans, check out the KOMEX version for GeoClock. Pretty nifty!

73,
Brandon