Quantum QX-Pro Loop with E100 slider?

Gary Kinsman

Hi Brandon,

Another possibility is to use the Quantum Coupler inductively with
the stock E100 ferrite bar.

http://www.dxtools.com/QCoupler.htm

This is how I connect my QX Pro to my Sat 800, and it works very
well this way -- much better than with a direct connection.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Brandon Jordan" <bcdx.org@...>
wrote:

Hi folks. I am finally jumping in on the ultralight craze and
yesterday evening I ordered everything needed to make an E100
slider. It hit me today that I have one of the older model Quantum
QX-Pro ferrite antenna, the one with a 15" ferrite bar. What would
be the best option of using this with the E100 slider? My first
though would be to feed the QX-Pro output to the slider external
antenna input. I am just concerned that the signal from the 7.5"
slider antenna would degrade the nulling capacity of the QX-Pro.
Any thought on this?

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would sure appreciate
anything. I am especially interested on coming up with the best
way to utilize the large Quantum QX-Pro antenna. Thanks!

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Brandon,

Your plans for the Universal plexy radio stand as a Slider Mounting board sound great.   When you finish an experimentation cycle, I sure hope that you will give us a brief write-up and photos. (GREAT THINKING, BY THE WAY.... I hadn't thought of one of those plexy stands... just an excellent idea!)

I might suggest that you hook the Quantum Loop directly to the existing stock ferrite bar first and see how that works for you (there are a couple of articles about that on dxer.ca) You will loose the varicoupler aspect of the Slider+Ext. Antenna, but you will have a much bigger antenna hooked fairly efficiently through the stock ferrite bar.... If you are in an area with a lot of broadcast stations, you may get overloading... or you may not... If you do, the Slider as Varicoupler is the answer of course....

I guess what I'm saying is that you ought to take a couple of baby steps rather than one giant leap... since we are all still kijnd of feeling our ay along here.

ANYWAY, welcome aboard!!!

Sorry for the rushed response... I've kind of fallen into doing a 7-Day Ross Challenge and I gotta get back to the dials :>)

John B.

At 08:35 PM 12/4/2008 -0500, you wrote:

Hello Bcdx.org,

     Thanks for your post, and welcome to Ultralight DX fun.

     The designers of the slider E100's (John Bryant and I) have experimented with coupling external antennas to the slider loopstick ferrite bar by using an inductive coupling system, where a BNC connector runs to a small coil of wire on the ferrite bar, on the side opposite the coil.  This not only allows the effective use of high gain external antennas like EWE's, K9AY's and beverages, but the slider coil can still be used as a preselector, filtering out unwanted image and spurious signals.in urban and suburban areas.  In such cases, the high gain of the external antenna "swamps" the slider loopstick RF pickup, so that there is no incompatibility or "competition" between the two antenna systems.  John's fine article posted on dxer.ca., "Slider e100 as a Varicoupler" gives full details.

     To my knowledge, nobody has yet tried this slider E100 inductive coupling system with a smaller antenna, like the Quantum QX-Pro Loop.  This is one area of experimentation that is still uncertain. The 7.5" loopstick slider E100 by itself is capable of great sensitivity, as any owner knows.  During summer experimentation, experimental 17", 22.5" and 27" ferrite bars generally didn't provide the hoped-for great sensitivity benefits over the 7.5" models. After building your slider E100 and testing it out with the Quantum QX-Pro Loop, you may also discover that the 7.5" model provides a lot of "bang for the buck." But we certainly would be interested to know your results, either way.  Good luck on your slider project.

     73,  Gary DeBock

  .

Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Brandon Jordan <bcdx.org@...>

Hi folks. I am finally jumping in on the ultralight craze and
yesterday evening I ordered everything needed to make an E100
slider. It hit me today that I have one of the older model Quantum
QX-Pro ferrite antenna, the one with a 15" ferrite bar. What would
be the best option of using this with the E100 slider? My first
though would be to feed the QX-Pro output to the slider external
antenna input. I am just concerned that the signal from the 7.5"
slider antenna would degrade the nulling capacity of the QX-Pro. Any
thought on this?

As to my slider design, I think I am going with a design more
similar to John Bryant's. Instead of a wood frame, I am going to use
one of the plastic slanted portable radio mounts from Universal.
There will be enough clearance above the E100 at the top of the
mount to come up with some method of attaching the loopstick. I also
order one of the lazy susan base thingies from C. Crane that will
hold the plastic radio mount, and am thinking of mounting this onto
a nice wood platform and adding 360 degree markings around the edge
of the lazy susan for DF. Maybe mount a nice compass on the wood
platform to align everything properly. I am also thinking of
mounting a BNC connector on the verticle back part of the plastic
mount for the external antenna input.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would sure appreciate
anything. I am especially interested on coming up with the best way
to utilize the large Quantum QX-Pro antenna. Thanks!

Gary DeBock