Slider antenna vs. C. Crane Twin Coil

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Kirk Allen has also been doing some testing of a Barefoot E100 vs a Slider E100 vs a Slider + A Small Passive Loop (Select-a-Tenna and others) His preliminary findings (article to follow soon) are very much aligned with Kevin S's results.... Slider E100 is great by itself, Slider E100 + Loop is even better!  Like Kevin, all of Kirk's testing has been on domestic channels.

John B.

At 03:19 PM 1/2/2009 -0500, you wrote:

Hello Paul,

     The stock E100 has a poorly shaped, flat loopstick which makes inductive coupling with external passive loop systems marginal at best.  To my knowledge, every user of a Slider E100 has found it superior in DX performance to a stock E100 with either a Terk, SAT, Twin Coil, Q-stick, Quantum Loop or other accessory.  This is based on observations by Kirk Allen, Kevin Schanilec, myself and others.

     These passive and active loop systems usually provide a greater boost with other Ultralight radio designs, because of better-designed stock loopsticks in these other models.

     73,  Gary DeBock

In a message dated 1/2/2009 12:06:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, texnote@... writes:

Is there an update on this, by way of a comparison between the
slider antenna and the twin coil ferrite antenna?

> Hello Gary,
>
> Recently John Bryant gave a plywood-mounted Slider E100 to
Kirk Allen,
> and I gave plastic-mounted Slider E100 models to Kevin Schanilec,
and Colin
> Newell.
>
> Both Kirk and Kevin have mentioned that their Slider E100's
outperform
> certain external antenna accessories in sensitivity, and Colin
also has given
> a similar great report..
>
> As one of the designers of the Slider antenna, I try to avoid
criticism
> of competing antenna systems, and let others give their own report
on its
> superior capabilities. Within a few days, I think you will hear
more about
> these direct comparisons run by impartial observers, which of
course will
> persuade curious DXers much more than anything that I could say.
>
> 73 and Good DX,
> Gary DeBock
>

> **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email,
and
> favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
> ( http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.

texnote

[...]

Paul

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, D1028Gary@... wrote:

> Hello Gary,
>
> Recently John Bryant gave a plywood-mounted Slider E100 to
Kirk Allen,
> and I gave plastic-mounted Slider E100 models to Kevin Schanilec,
and Colin
> Newell.
>
> Both Kirk and Kevin have mentioned that their Slider E100's
outperform
> certain external antenna accessories in sensitivity, and Colin
also has given
> a similar great report..
>
> As one of the designers of the Slider antenna, I try to avoid
criticism
> of competing antenna systems, and let others give their own report
on its
> superior capabilities. Within a few days, I think you will hear
more about
> these direct comparisons run by impartial observers, which of
course will
> persuade curious DXers much more than anything that I could say.
>
> 73 and Good DX,
> Gary DeBock
>

> **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email,
and
> favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
> (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-
dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

Gary Kinsman

Hi Gary DeB.,

How does your slider antenna compare to the C. Crane Twin Coil
antenna? I use the latter inductively coupled with my E100, and it
allows reception of stations that are completely inaudible with the
internal ferrite bar.

I have fun using the Twin Coil with my E100, E10, DT-200VX, and
7600GR. Not only does it provide lots of gain, but it's convenient to
be able to rotate the antenna while leaving the radio stationary.

I have two Twin Coil "orphans" that I purchased for only $50 each.

Regards,
Gary

Gary DeBock