Another One From the Graveyard and a Modest Proposal

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

Another new UL station this morning:

1340 WYCB Washington DC, ID, into downtown DC church service on a
Sunday morning at 0800. UL station #431.

And a suggestion to add more work for the awards committee- how about
an award program from UL graveyard DXing? We have it for foreign and
regular domestic DXing, and graveyard DXing is a sub-section of the
hobby in its own right.

Hmmm?

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

John,

We already have GY distance Records and I was very underwhelmed by the response to such (the Unlimited one went 6 months after announcement without anyone even submitting a logging and the Barefoot has had only two/three submissions, mostly from Allen Willie.)

We might add one or two Awards to gage interest. What would you suggest???

John B.

At 01:11 PM 11/30/2008 +0000, you wrote:

Another new UL station this morning:

1340 WYCB Washington DC, ID, into downtown DC church service on a
Sunday morning at 0800. UL station #431.

And a suggestion to add more work for the awards committee- how about
an award program from UL graveyard DXing? We have it for foreign and
regular domestic DXing, and graveyard DXing is a sub-section of the
hobby in its own right.

Hmmm?

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE

robert ross

At 08:45 AM 11/30/2008, you wrote:

John,

We already have GY distance Records and I was very underwhelmed by the
response to such (the Unlimited one went 6 months after announcement
without anyone even submitting a logging and the Barefoot has had only
two/three submissions, mostly from Allen Willie.)

We might add one or two Awards to gage interest. What would you suggest???

John B.

Hi Folks:

I think one of the problems with the Graveyard Distance Records, is
that in general...most Graveyard Receptions are rather short Distances,
there are exceptions of course. A 500 Mile GY Reception is pretty
good....but in the scope of the worldwide DX we've been hearing...a lot of
DX'ers wouldn't even report that as a Possible Distance Record. Even a 1000
Mile reception seems pale compared to the TP and TA stuff everyone is
hearing!! I have logged a pile of GY'ers with the Ultralights....but none
of them have been at a great distance. Allen Willie and Kirk Allen have
heard a few Good ones lately..and I believe they have been reported and
recorded in the records. Maybe we should make a concerted effort to monitor
the GY Freqs a little better...and see if we can't get some new records
recorded!! I'm a firm believer that if you spend time at the dials on
certain frequencies..the stations will come. You just have to be there at
the right time!!

Maybe something we can look at is...a "TOTAL GY STATIONS HEARD" Award????
What does everyone think about that?? Maybe we can get some input from the
UL Members...and then the Committee can talk about implementing an award if
its warranted??!!

Maybe John can design a Nice certificate with a TOMBSTONE on it
!!HAHHAHHA...Just an Idea!!!! I don't think adding this award would be a
Burden to me as far as checking Logs....It may add some work to John's Busy
Schedule.....but I think it may be something we can look at. John and
Gary....what do you think?? More importantly...let's hear from the
membership!!! It's you guys this whole Awards Program was intended for..so
let us know if a Graveyard Award is something that you would like to see!!

We all ears......

73....ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC
Enjoy Ultralight Radio DXing......It's like being a KID again!!

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)

Joseph Miller <radiodxer2000@...>

Maybe something we can look at is...a "TOTAL GY
STATIONS HEARD" Award????
What does everyone think about that?? Maybe we can get some
input from the
UL Members...and then the Committee can talk about
implementing an award if
its warranted??!!
I think that is a fantastic idea. Even though I live close to a major city, and have local stations on half of the GY channels, I consider it a real treat to hear anything different. But if the committee doesn't feel overwhelmed with the certficates and awards, I like the idea very much.

73 de Joe Miller, Troy, MI

Carl DeWhitt

---
I like the idea of a total GY stations heard award.Perhaps it would
encourage more of us to do more GY dxing.
Carl DeWhitt
Walland,Tn.

In ultralightdx@..., Joseph Miller <radiodxer2000@...>
wrote:

Maybe something we can look at is...a "TOTAL GY
STATIONS HEARD" Award????
What does everyone think about that?? Maybe we can get some
input from the
UL Members...and then the Committee can talk about
implementing an award if
its warranted??!!
I think that is a fantastic idea. Even though I live close to a
major city, and have local stations on half of the GY channels, I
consider it a real treat to hear anything different. But if the
committee doesn't feel overwhelmed with the certficates and awards, I
like the idea very much.

73 de Joe Miller, Troy, MI

Gary DeBock

John C., John B. and the Group,

     Graveyard DXing is kind of a "final frontier" of domestic DX chasers, so as long as the Awards Committee could handle the extra administrative work, I agree with John Cereghin that more recognition should be given for outstanding accomplishments in this area.  The "300 in 30 days" DXers seem to gravitate to the Graveyard after successfully meeting the challenge (no morbid pun intended), since these frequencies typically provide the most productive source of new DX loggings.  In addition, there certainly is a major challenge involved in attempting to sort out multiple ghostly signals in hopes of catching an elusive ID, or identity clue. Logging distant Graveyarders is an extra challenge, on top of the already formidable task of sorting the local maze of ghostly signals.

     This type of competition would also possibly spur experimentation on more directional antennas, and other technical innovations.  From the beginning, the theme of Ultralight DXing has always been taking on huge challenges with very simple receivers, and relying on personal skill and determination to make fantastic receptions. I agree with John C. that Graveyard DXing is a special challenge, which needs to be specially recognized and awarded.  100 Graveyard stations logged would be an outstanding accomplishment, perhaps equally formidable (in effort required) to the Master TP, or Master TA DXer award.  It would also be great to have a major Ultralight DXing challenge available for everybody on the North American continent, even those with little hope of chasing TP's or TA's.  It sounds like a super idea, although with my west coast location the Graveyard has little life to offer :>).

     73,  Gary

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

I guess one reason why I proposed a GY Award is that anyone can do it,
regardless of where you are or the kind of UL radio or antenna you
have. Not everyone can have a lot of luck with TA, TP or Latin DXing
but everyone has 6 graveyard channels they can work on. Your results
won't be as exotic as North Korea or Greenland, but there is a unique
challenge to Graveyard DXing that gives it a charm all its own.

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

John,

I would think that total number of GY stations would work, with
certificates or endorsements starting at 25 stations and then every 25
stations after that or something. Distance isn't as important for the
GYs as numbers of stations. Maybe make 100 stations the level for
Master UL GY DXer.

John Cereghin

--- In ultralightdx@..., "John H. Bryant" <bjohnorcas@...>
wrote:

[...]

satya@...

Hey all:

Like Gary et al, I think a GY category would be a great idea!

It also presents perhaps one of the few ooportunities to use some sort of
handicapping system. As Gary mentioned, there are fewer GY stations for
us Westerners to hear within a 1,000 or so mile radius. There are a
little over 200 such stations within a 1000 mile radius of me. If I got
50 of those, not only would I be pleased as punch, but it would be in the
same category as someone elsewhere in the country hearing 100 if there
were 400 within 1,000 miles.

So, maybe "Hearing 25% of the GY stations within 1,000 miles" could be a
target/award to pursue?

(I picked 1,000 miles arbitrarily - my longest distance for a GY station
is currently 742 miles.)

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

[...]

AOL.com.

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Sounds to me like the Graveyard Stations Heard award is a consensus.  I do think that it would make sense to design a special award, with an appropriate graphic.  Give me a week and we'll institute such.

Last winter and Spring here in Oklahoma, I did GY DXing using my 535 and recording every TOH on a particular channel from before SS until after SR. I did that for 5 months - every night - and managed to hear about 120 stations on the 6 GY frequencies, BUT this was with my Wellbrook array....  I think that you were right on, having the Master GY DXer Award at 100.... and I do think that is possible from the NW, but it is sure easier (but still VERY difficult) in the middle of the country.

I gotta say though that durn Kirk Allen has managed to hear farther on the GY channels than I ever did and he was using a stock E100 and a Select-a-Tenna.

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT.

In my one day of domestic DXing back here, I've decided to try out a new Slider e100 without the selectivity mod. The Murata filtered Slider e100 is so selective that the audio is still less than optimum, even off-tuning 1 kHz.  Its absolutely wonderful on those transoceanic splits, but I think the stock selectivity might just work better doing domestics.  I will do some real-time A/B testing and report (and reread what Gary had to say in his latest article, too.)

John B.
Stillwater, OK, USA
Rcvrs: Hotrodded NRD-535, Slider e100's
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array