Eligible Stations

George Keller

Hi,

First, let me thank all of you who answered my newbie question (about
whether local stations count) last month and apologize for not
following up sooner.

I haven't had a chance to do any concentrated listening yet, only
grabbing 15 minutes here and there. I did log my locals, all 23 of
them. My total logged so far is 69, most with the DT-200VX but 15
were with the Mini 300 (all in late 2007).

A number of the locals (in New York City) are giving me headaches with
IBOC, some of them going 20 kHz off channel with strong QRM. The
DT-200 lets me do some nulling, but these 50,000 watt locals are still
murder. My goal is to log at least 100 bareback, and then I'm
thinking about buying a loop, maybe a Terk. Has anybody had any
experience pairing a Terk with a DT-200?

Good DXing,

George / W2GEK

Kirk Allen <kirk74601@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "George Keller" <gekeller@...>
wrote:

My goal is to log at least 100 bareback, and then I'm
thinking about buying a loop, maybe a Terk. Has anybody had any
experience pairing a Terk with a DT-200?

Good DXing,

George / W2GEK
Hi George,

I've not had any experience with the DT-200, but lately I've been doing
some comparisons between the Terk and the Select-a-Tenna. Both loops
are really good, especially when used in conjunction with the Eton E-
100 slider. (Well, in a lot of cases anyway)
So far I can't tell any difference between the performance of those
two. I know this doesn't specifically answer your querry, so just take
it for whatever it's worth.
73's.
Kirk Allen
Ponca City, OK

satya@...

Hey George:

I agree with Kirk - the Select-A-Tenna and Terk are essentially the same
antenna and their performance should be fairly indistinguishable. Radio
Intel found this to be true.
(see http://www.radiointel.com/review-2loop.htm ).

Any ULR will respond well to an air-core loop like the Terk, while it is
more unpredictable using a ferrite passive loop like the Quantum Stick.
Given the Terk's price, it's really hard to go wrong. The gain with the
DT-200 should be about equal to that of a slider e100 - I have found that
a Sony SRF-59 with a Terk loop is much more sensitive than even a
fully-aligned Sony S5W, the barefoot sensitivity king. If you are handy
with a soldering iron, retrofitting the DT-200's filter with something
more narrow would give you quite the rig.

Re Select-A-Tenna: I know that the Select-A-Tenna has a version that is
active as well, but at that price (200 bucks or so?) you may as well get a
Quantum Loop with a Quantum Coupler and have the steerability, variable Q
and variable gain controls.

Hope this helps - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

wrote:

My goal is to log at least 100 bareback, and then I'm
thinking about buying a loop, maybe a Terk. Has anybody had any
experience pairing a Terk with a DT-200?

Good DXing,

George / W2GEK
Hi George,

I've not had any experience with the DT-200, but lately I've been doing
some comparisons between the Terk and the Select-a-Tenna. Both loops
are really good, especially when used in conjunction with the Eton E-
100 slider. (Well, in a lot of cases anyway)
So far I can't tell any difference between the performance of those
two. I know this doesn't specifically answer your querry, so just take
it for whatever it's worth.
73's.
Kirk Allen
Ponca City, OK