Gary DeBock Receives Ultralight Radio Founders Award

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     Apparently the multi-talented John Bryant is capable of much more than superb organization and fantastic technical innovation--  he also appears to be a Master of secret scheming.

     It was a total surprise to receive the attractive and unique Founder Award, expertly prepared by John, and presented by Guy Atkins last night.  The secret planning for this group effort was entirely successful, resulting in the complete astonishment of the recipient.  John created a very stylish and memorable Award design (only partially visible in the photo), which is a perfect example of his unique creativity.  Signatures of 13 prominent Ultralight DXers (John Bryant, Rob Ross, Kirk Allen, Gil Stacy, Allen Willie, Guy Atkins, Nick Hall-Patch, Steve Ratzlaff, Kevin Schanilec, Steve Ponder, Olaf Haenssler, Russ Edmonds and Mark Gerwlivch) grace the Award, which are all deeply appreciated.  Thank you all for your signatures, and thanks also to others like Joe Miller, who wished to sign but were unable to fax their signatures to John.  The other 100 members on the Ultralightdx Yahoo team are referenced in the Award, and I deeply appreciate the contributions from each of you, in creating the exciting Ultralight DXing culture that we enjoy today.

     As mentioned previously to John, I feel somewhat unworthy of such a high Award, but that certainly will not stop me from prominently displaying it on the wall!

     Ultralight Radio DXing is certainly a group sensation, fueled by the creative efforts of over 100 dedicated hobbyists.  Thanks to all who have contributed in making our first year so exciting and memorable, and I feel very honored to be a part of this innovative, creative team of highly enthusiastic DXers.

     73 and Best Wishes,

     Gary DeBock

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

A big fat
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
to Gary for a richly deserved recognition.... what a wonderful thing Ultralighting has become in the lives of many of us... rejuvenating a much-beloved hobby, letting us rewind the clock, or at least the log book, and START OVER.  Life doesn't let you wipe the slate clean very often. Thank you, Gary. When you heard that first NHK station, you could very easily said "Huh, how 'bout that!"  and then gone on with your normally busy life. You didn't and we all have this community of DXers, thanks to your leadership. Bravo!

Also, a huge
WELL DONE!
to the entire ultralightdx membership for managing to 100% keep a secret and let this little surprise play out.  It would have been so easy to accidently screw up and say something, or hit the wrong button as you sent your signatures. Really a great job, folks!

Thanks to all of you who signed the certificate and an apology to those who wished to do so, but either did not possess the technology or who couldn't meet the Draconian time schedule..............  The wording on the certificate ended with the phrase "and all of the more than one hundred members of the ultralightdx community. You were there, too!

John Bryant,
for the Awards Committee

Guy Atkins

November 21, 2008 [Puyallup, WA] - As the second year of the exciting ultralight radio (ULR) hobby begins, it's fitting to honor the DXer who started it all - Gary DeBock of Puyallup, Washington. On Friday night, Gary was the surprised recipient of an attractive, framed "Founders Award", beautifully designed and framed by John Bryant and presented by Guy Atkins on behalf of all ULR enthusiasts.

Gary's initiative, drive, and enthusiasm has given dozens and dozens of DXers new-found excitement for DXing. His reception of Japanese stations JOIB (747 kHz) and JOAK (594 kHz) in Puyallup on November 20, 2007 lit a fire in Gary, and he's done all he can to share the excitement with others since then. Gary's numerous articles on ultralight radio and many upbeat, helpful forum postings and emails have encouraged DXers to push the boundaries of what UL radios can accomplish. His discovery of the "slider coil" technique provided a simple way to greatly boost the sensitivity of small radios, helping to make them capable of eyebrow-raising DX formerly expected only of communications receivers.

Gary, thank you for almost single-handedly starting a new niche of the DXing hobby, and for your enthusiasm that has spread around the world in only a year!

Gary DeBock (right) receives Ultralight Radio Founder's Award from Guy Atkins

robert ross

Guy Atkins wrote:

November 21, 2008 [Puyallup, WA] - As the second year of the exciting ultralight radio (ULR) hobby begins, it's fitting to honor the DXer who started it all - Gary DeBock of Puyallup, Washington. On Friday night, Gary was the surprised recipient of an attractive, framed "Founders Award", beautifully designed and framed by John Bryant and presented by Guy Atkins on behalf of all ULR enthusiasts.

Gary.................Congratulations on the well deserved Award!! .......and thanks to Guy Atkins for the Official Press Release and photo of you and he during the Presentation.

No matter what they tell you..I had nothing to do with it!! AHHAHAHHAAA.......Blame John!! HAHAHAHA......

You da man Gary......hopefully our second year will be even more fabulous!!

I think that Award was signed by all the ULR Heavyweights Gary........so hang it proudly knowing it came from the Heart!!!

73..........ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
London, Ontario CANADA

bbwrwy

Congratulations Gary, you richly deserve the award. Also, thanks for
the help you've given me since I joined the ULR fun.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"M / 97°26'35"W

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

Gary - you're plenty worthy of the award. If you hadn't been curious
about what the SRF-59 could do, there are more than 100 of us who
would be DX'ing, but we wouldn't be nearly as challenged and not
having as much fun. You recognized the SRF-59 (and later the Sony
SRF-39FP; my favorite) as a DX capable radio that anyone can afford
and available almost anywhere. You made them better for those of us
not able to do that ourselves (at no cost), then you sought out other
small DX capable radios and wrote reviews of them.

I remember reading your review of the SRF-59 not long after it was
posted. The ultralight concept really appealed to me and I bought one
right away. I remember my jaw hitting the ground the first time I
listened to it.

I am grateful to all of you tech types who have come up with the mods
and add ons. They are way beyond my ability to duplicate but really
fascinating to hear about.

Are we having fun yet? You bet we are.

73