South Korea in Ireland on an UL!

Paul Logan

Hi all,

not much listening done recently but one really welcome log tonight

1566    HLAZ Jeju, FEBC    250kw    S.Korea    20:00    27/10/2008    5800miles    9331km

Time pips at the top of the hour then om in presumed Korean and choral music.

Distances are approx - anyone got the long/lat of the transmitter site?

Realised it was possible when I noticed the strength of China on 1521 and heard Taiwan dominating on 1557.

I have been hearing this over the last nights on my main set up but every time it has peaked it was with choral music and the language was very hard to make out. Only the 2nd time ever that I have nailed this one so very pleased.

Wonder is Japan a possibility from here...

regards

Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland

Listening Homepage: http://geocities.com/yogi540/
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiofotos/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogi540

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

WHAT A CATCH!!!

Paul, I sure hope that you are planning to enter the World-wide contest that is contained in the Fall Follies.... either Barefoot or Unlimited.  You ought to do very well, even against those of us listening across the Pacific!  Both Oct 25 and Oct 27 were STUNNINGLY GREAT DX conditions across the Pacific... between about 1200 and 1500, when I was listening.  Several of the other Tree Huggers up here were also on during that time period and did very well, too.... maybe it will continue for another day or two!!!

Enter the contest!!!  Its your five longest distances heard anytime between last Friday at 30 minutes before LSS and Next Monday, Nov.3 at 30 minutes past LSR.

John Bryant

At 11:24 PM 10/27/2008 +0000, you wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

      Congratulations on your HLAZ-1566 logging.  That station is one of the "top seven" TP's heard on the west coast here, and is frequently logged barefoot by DXers at Grayland and other coastal locations (a barefoot DT-400W recording of it is in the Ultralightdx file section).

     Your east Asian loggings on the Ultralights are really outstanding, and we hope you will continue to chase Japan, and other Far East countries.

     73,  Gary

MarkWA1ION

What amazes me is that Paul can have China on 1521 and Taiwan on 1557
when, here on this side of the pond, Saudi Arabia is smokin' loud on
1521 (with low-power Spain as that channel's only other occupant) and
France does a pretty good job on 1557 - sometimes at similar level to
WQEW 1560 NYC. I'd think that even relatively clear 1566 would be a
challenge with 2 UK stations (admittedly low power) plus Benin, Iran,
and India.

In the '70s, when China was on 1525, it was heard widely at North
American coastal sites, especially in autumn around sunset in the New
England states, Long Island, and the NJ shore.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

<<
Hi Paul,

Congratulations on your HLAZ-1566 logging. That station is one
of the "top seven" TP's heard on the west coast here, and is frequently
logged barefoot by DXers at Grayland and other coastal locations (a
barefoot DT-400W recording of it is in the Ultralightdx file section).

Your east Asian loggings on the Ultralights are really
outstanding, and we hope you will continue to chase Japan, and other
Far East countries.

73, Gary

Paul Logan

Hi Mark,

this kind of reflects what I think when I see Allen's logs from Newfoundland - he hears stuff that just goes right over my head!.

Urumqi on 1521 is an easy catch here at sunset and after, there is about 45 degrees between it and Saudi at my location so separating them is easy. In fact Saudi doesn't even dominate 1521 here which is more of a mix of English locals plus it and Urumqi.

As for Taiwan 1557 there is at least 55 degrees separation between it and the English locals that dominate - France is down in the mix and never really dominates this channel here.

Same for 1566 Korea with about 65 degrees between the English locals and Cheju. this channel is very difficult - when one English station was here it was reasonably easy to null but with two its really problematic. Benin is possible here most nights on fade downs from the UK but India or Iran are now very difficult.

Theres a sweet null point to my north east on all of these that kills the UK and with a little luck lets the far easterners through. They come up for a bit but seldom sit for long. With the exception of 1521 which is often a powerhouse signal.

Heres an example of it dominating 1521: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0O_D604nfQ

I managed 1557 Taiwan at 1800 tonight clear WYFR interval tune on the top of the hour.

[...]

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

Which radio and antenna?

--- In ultralightdx@..., Paul Logan <paulloganradio@...>
wrote:

[...]