Submission for New Barefoot UL world record!

MarkWA1ION

I caught up on the later e-mails and found that greater than 7000
miles had indeed been done from the West Coast. Deep Africa would be
the only likely target from this area that would be in a similar
distance range and actually away from polar zones enough to be
feasible. Lesotho (1197) is around 7900 miles and had been heard (as
BBC) in the '90s by me on barefoot Sony ICF-2010 (no, not an
ultralight) at both the Granite Pier (Rockport) and Windmill Beach (S.
Yarmouth) sites.

Unfortunately both the effective radiated power level and schedule
regularity of Lesotho have deteriorated in the past 10 years. Now
it's a tough catch on good gear. We need a South African station in
the megawatt plus class like Saudi 1521. Or a high band Australian of
that kind of power for a dawn DX catch here.

If we could just blow up WQEW-1560 Radio Disney, India-1566 could come
into play. It's been logged at the Rowley, MA salt-marsh on a Drake
R8A and phased verticals (50 m separation), but that station making
the leap to a barefoot ultralight possibility would require 1560
(WQEW) and 1570 (CFAV/WNSH) getting out of the way somehow.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "MarkWA1ION" <MarkWA1ION@...>
wrote:

On 8 OCT 2008, I had UAE on both 1170 (Radio Sawa) and 1575 (Radio
Farda) on the barefoot Eton E-100 at Granite Pier - Rockport, MA,
USA.

My calculations show the distance to these as 6650 miles or 10702 km.

Could this be an Ultralight barefoot distance record ?

I thought some of the West Coast guys had greater than 7000 miles.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

MarkWA1ION

On 8 OCT 2008, I had UAE on both 1170 (Radio Sawa) and 1575 (Radio
Farda) on the barefoot Eton E-100 at Granite Pier - Rockport, MA, USA.

My calculations show the distance to these as 6650 miles or 10702 km.

Could this be an Ultralight barefoot distance record ?

I thought some of the West Coast guys had greater than 7000 miles.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

Gary DeBock

Hello Mark,

     Thanks for the very detailed list of distance record possibilities, from the east coast.

     From the west coast, it may be tough to beat 5AN-891 in Adelaide, Australia (8,230 miles, or 13,255 km, from Grayland) once somebody receives it for a decent stock Ultralight logging.  Both John and I received it easily with modified E100's, and it produced audio traces on a stock SRF-T615, but nothing substantial enough to be considered a logging.  Kevin's logging of 3LO-774 (Melbourne, Australia) from Seward, Alaska (7,684 miles, or 12,372 km) beat out multiple stock Ultralight loggings of VOA-1575 (Thailand) from Grayland.

     I suppose the ultimate challenge for both coasts will be India, or the nearby islands.  Tiny stock loopsticks will need a lot of propagation help, for a miracle like that to happen.

     73,  Gary

bbwrwy

Paul:

Congratulations.

Richard Allen,
36°22'51"N / 97°25'36"W

robert ross

At 04:05 PM 10/10/2008, you wrote:

Hi all,

nailed it at last!

1557 WYFR Kouhu,Taiwan. US OM in religious talk 1911 utc 10/10/08
So I respectfully submit this catch as a new Barefoot world record with
reception distance being 6264 miles / 10081 km.
Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland

Hi Paul...Man...you sure are making it difficult for us Poor Old Landlocked
ULR Dx'ers!!!! I heard some Chinese last week too.......but it was from CHIN Radio on 1540 in TORONTO!!!! AHHAHHAHHA.

TAIWAN to IRELAND.....on a BAREFOOT ULR....that is just TOO MUCH!!

A New World Record for Barefoot ULR's....where is this all gonna end????

I commend you Paul on an amazing Feat...you are doing all ULR DX'ers proud
with your continued efforts to Promote the ULR Hobby.

Great Work Paul........I don't think Gary Debock ever envisioned all of
this back last November when he first turned on his paltry little SONY
SRF-59....if only he had known!!

73....ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC
Enjoy Ultralight Radio DXing......It's like being a KID again!!

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)

Paul Logan

Hi all,

nailed it at last!

1557 WYFR Kouhu,Taiwan. US OM in religious talk 1911 utc 10/10/08

Had seen reports of good east Asian reception via the MWC this afternoon so thought I'd try for this one which I've heard a few times in the past on other set ups.

First hint of success was at 1858 utc hearing a yl in Chinese. Was being careful as Lithuania carries China Radio International on this freq ( although at this time they are listed as being in Russian).

Finally at 1911 with my UL in the palm of my hand standing beside the window looking out at a very wet Irish autumn night and an American voice fades up with religious talk! Was dominant for about 20 seconds before sliding back under France. Ferrite bearing was right for Taiwan.

The timings of the English and Chinese fit the WYFR schedule at http://www.familyradio.com/international/frame/

So I respectfully submit this catch as a new Barefoot world record with reception distance being 6264 miles / 10081 km.

I'm thrilled especially since I had thought I had this one some time back only to be dashed with the realisation that Lithuania also carried Chinese here.

I cant see me bettering this one for a while!.

regards and good dx to all,

Paul Logan,
Lisnaskea, N. Ireland

Listening Homepage: http://geocities.com/yogi540/
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiofotos/
Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogi540

Hello Paul,

     Congratulations on your outstanding reception of WYFR-1557 in Kouhu, Taiwan.  That certainly is an astonishing reception for an Ultralight, and the first time I've ever heard of a European DXer logging an east Asian.   You should be extremely happy, and justifiably so.

     I feel very reluctant to mention this, but in the competition for the all-time Ultralight barefoot world distance record, there have been three TP DXers (John Bryant, Dennis Vroom and myself) that have received VOA-1575 in Ban Rasom, Thailand, while DXing from Grayland, Washington with a stock Ultralight radio.  Dennis Vroom was the first to do it in the spring with an SRF-39FP, I was able to do it with both an SRF-T615 and DT-400W (an mp3 is posted in the Ultralightdx file area), and John Bryant just did it this week at Grayland with his SRF-T615.  These receptions all occurred at the Grayland Motel, a famous Washington state DXpedition site, and all were for a reception at a distance of 11,721 km, or 7,283 miles.  We just didn't update the record list yet to reflect this, and I'm very sorry for this oversight.

      Once again, congratulations on your outstanding logging, which in my own humble opinion, is far more impressive than the routine loggings of VOA-1575 at Grayland.  Perhaps the distance advantages that TP DXers enjoy is some minor compensation for our severe lack of possible DX countries, as compared to those DXers in Europe, and the East Coast of North America  :>)

     73,  Gary DeBock