Rookie question on tuning steps

Nancy <naf1234@...>

OK, bear with me and my rookie question, as I'm brand new to the
ultralite/dxing hobby. I have an old radio shack pocket radio with
digital display that looks identical to the Sangean DT-200VX. It
allows me to search/select frequencies but only in 10KHz increments.
If the other digital radios are like mine, then how do folks tune into
international stations in the middle of the steps, like 774 KHz? I can
see how it could be done with an analog, rotate-the-wheel kind of
radio, or with a digital radio (like my SW Grundig 400PE) that allows
me to adjust the steps to 1 KHz, but I don't see how to reach those
intermediate frequencies if my radio only goes in 10KHz increments.
I'm sure there's an astoundingly simple answer that I'm just not
getting. Thanks for any wisdom you can share on the topic.

Nancy
Sacramento, CA

Jay Heyl

satya@...

Hi Nancy:

Per the CCrane web site, to change to 9 khz tuning on the Sangean DT-200VX:

"To change from 9 kHz to 10 kHz turn the radio off, press and hold the
"Up" tuning button and then press the power button at the same time. To
change from 10 kHz to 9 kHz press and hold the "Down" tuning button and
then press the power button at the same time."

Hope this works!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

Per the CCrane web site, to change to 9 khz tuning on the Sangean DT-200VX:

"To change from 9 kHz to 10 kHz turn the radio off, press and hold the
"Up" tuning button and then press the power button at the same time. To
change from 10 kHz to 9 kHz press and hold the "Down" tuning button and
then press the power button at the same time."

Hope this works!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

_________________________

The change of frequency setups on the Sangeans is a bit tricky - it takes some practice. I don't know if your receiver is identical or not, but be patient with it...

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

Nancy <naf1234@...>

Hi Jay:

Is the eton e100 considered an ultralight in the barefoot class even
though it looks kind of big in the pictures and has an antenna?
Nancy

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jay Heyl" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Nancy <naf1234@...> wrote:

allows me to search/select frequencies but only in 10KHz increments.

Some of the ultralights are analog, so there are no frequency steps.
Tuning
is continuous.

Some of them, like the currently hot Eton E100, allow "fine tuning"
in 1kHz
steps.

With some of them, the manufacturers have finally realized their
radios may
eventually be used in places where 10kHz does not work well. They've
added
the ability to switch between 9kHz and 10kHz steps.

Some, again like the E100, combine switchable 9/10kHz steps with
1kHz fine
tuning.

The frequency step is definitely something to look out for when
shopping.
Even if a radio allows switchable 9/10kHz steps, it's still nice to
be able
to off-tune 1kHz sometimes to get away from adjacent stations.

-- Jay

Nancy <naf1234@...>

Hi Kevin:
That sounds like a neat trick - I'll try in on my little radio shack
transistor tonight.
Nancy

--- In ultralightdx@..., satya@... wrote:

[...]

I'm going to test out your idea on my radio shack transistor tonight.
Thanks!
Nancy

[...]

Yes, the Eton e100 is definitely an Ultralight. Despite the pictures, it
does fit into one's shirt pocket, and the whip antenna for FM and
shortwave doesn't preclude it from being an UltraLight. I'm on the
Definitions Committee, and I recall that we looked closely at the e100's
size and features. It's amazing what they got into that little package!

By barefoot we mean nothing added to what came from the factory, so no
inductively-couple antenna (like a Terk or Select-A-Tenna), filter
replacement, or other modifications. You can align it to perform properly
as-designed, but no change or addition of hardware is allowed to stay in
the Barefoot category.

Hope this helps - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

Is the eton e100 considered an ultralight in the barefoot class even
though it looks kind of big in the pictures and has an antenna?
Nancy

Nancy <naf1234@...>

Hi Steve:
This does help. I think I was getting confused between the barefoot
definition in the ultralite contest at dxer.com which doesn't appear
to allow a radio with shortwave capability vs. the typical barefoot
definition. Thanks.