newbie

Gary DeBock

Hello Jim,

     This is Gary (N7EKX), and welcome to our Ultralight DX group.  We are happy to have you with us, as we enjoy our first full DXing season with tiny AM pocket radios.

     If you are considering a purchase of one of the top-rated models, you might wish to check out the Summertime Shootout article posted on DXer.Ca, in the "Ultralight File" section.  This very detailed document will give you full information on all the top models, and how they compare in sensitivity, selectivity, nulling ability, spurs and images, AGC, audio quality, digital tuning noise, and quality control record.  After reading this article, you will be as well informed as any Ultralight fanatic, and certainly able to choose your dream radio for the DX season.

     DXer.Ca, our home web site, also contains many other interesting files relating to modifications, definitions (so you can know which radios qualify as official Ultralight models), suggestions for transoceanic DX chasing, antennas, etc.  We all are thrilled to enjoy this new form of AM-DXing, and you are joining the group at the perfect time.  Have fun, Jim!

     73,  Gary DeBock

Jim <banjojim@...>

hey, just joined. forgot who, but somebody from here mentioned this
group on mediumwave group.

anyway, i've played with pretty much all kinds of radio and own more
than my wife knows. i may even own an ultralite. i've got a grundig
mini100. what does this group consider an ultralite? i'm assuming a
cheapie pocket am/fm. i hear in another group a lot about a little
$20.00 sony. &#92;

last, is there a favorite? loaded question and i apologise, but i may
send a few $$$ to amazon for one soon.

thanks! jim n8rpi

satya@...

Hey Jim:

Welcome to the group! I hope you will find UltraLighting as interesting
and enjoyable as the rest of us here. Trans-oceanic receptions are
becoming more and more common as DXers figure out how to best use these
little wonders.

The definition of an UltraLight, and a Gallery and Compendium of top
available models, is available at the DXer.ca web site. Just click on the
Ultra-Light File Area icon near the top. Your Grundig Mini 100 is indeed
an UltraLight, but I can't say that the Mini 100 is in the top group.
Fortunately, there are exhaustive ratings as to what models you might want
to consider, depending on your situation.

The $20 Sony you've been hearing about is the Sony SRF-59, widely
available and the receiver that started the whole UltraLight phenomenon.
There is a lot of info on this receiver at the DXer.ca website, including
Gary DeBock's initial review, an SRF-59 Sourcebook, and others.

Again, welcome!

Kevin S.
Bainbridge Island, WA

hey, just joined. forgot who, but somebody from here mentioned this
group on mediumwave group.

anyway, i've played with pretty much all kinds of radio and own more
than my wife knows. i may even own an ultralite. i've got a grundig
mini100. what does this group consider an ultralite? i'm assuming a
cheapie pocket am/fm. i hear in another group a lot about a little
$20.00 sony. &#92;

last, is there a favorite? loaded question and i apologise, but i may
send a few $$$ to amazon for one soon.

thanks! jim n8rpi

robert ross

hey, just joined. forgot who, but somebody from here mentioned this>
group on mediumwave group

thanks! jim n8rpi

Hi Jim:

Welcome to the Ultralight Group from one of the Canadian contingent !!!! Nice to have you aboard....I really got a laugh from your comment that you "Owned more Radios than your wife knows about!!" HHAHAA....That pretty much sums up all of the guys on here I think!!

You'll find pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about Ultralight Radios..or ULR's as they sometimes referred to..we have guys who specialize in Trans-Pacific DX, Trans-Atlantic DX, Building External Antennas, Modifying their ULR's, Domestic DX'ing, and testing out Various new Models to see what's gonna be the next Hot DX Machine on the Block.....

We have Casual Listeners, HardCore DX'ers, and even Beginners...all with the same agenda..to have FUN with Ultralight Radios.

However Jim...don't let the Ultralight Moniker fool you....some of the DX that get's heard by our members is pretty HEAVY DUTY!! Hanging around this group is not for the faint of heart..you're gonna see loggings that you may not believe are possible on a Pocket Radio.....but as time goes on....you'll realize that the Sky is the limit when DXing with ULR's. Everyday the Guys on the Coasts and across the Ocean are logging amazing DX that just makes us all shake our heads in amazement.

Once you have logged a bunch of stations...we also have a Fine Awards Program and I look forward to receiving your Loggings someday soon for a few Awards!! Details of the Awards program can also be found on dxer.ca Website.

So...dive in and have a ball Jim. I think most of us are rather seasoned DX'ers who just got plain Bored of the Current AM BCB scene...and the start of the ULR Movement was just what the doctor ordered to bring some excitement back into the AM BCB Hobby!!

Any questions...fire away..there's a multitude of knowledgeable guys in the group who will be willing to help!!

73...ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Tim Davisson

Jim/N8EPI...Tried to send you an e-mail the e-mail listed on QRZ.com
(your ham calls...the voyager.net address)...but it bounced back
undeliverable.

Check out the little SRF-59. It's $14.99 at K-Mart's here in Akron. I
had to call 3 K-Mart locations...first 2 were sold out...finally got
one...now own a 2nd, and might likely buy a 3rd (for $15, why not? Hi,
hi!).

The nulling on this little, throw-back type analog mini-portable is
nothing short of amazing.

Give me an e-mail shout, if you wish: kd8gz@...

73's, and welcome to ULR DXing.

Tim, KD8GZ
Norton, Ohio

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

Jim - welcome. There are a lot of really great people here and I know
that any number of them would be delighted to help you get started. AM
DX'ing has needed a shot in the arm for a long time and DX'ing with
ultralight radios is just that.

73

At times I too have owned more radios that my wife was aware of.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jim" <banjojim@...> wrote:

hey, just joined. forgot who, but somebody from here mentioned this
group on mediumwave group.

anyway, i've played with pretty much all kinds of radio and own more
than my wife knows. i may even own an ultralite. i've got a grundig
mini100. what does this group consider an ultralite? i'm assuming a
cheapie pocket am/fm. i hear in another group a lot about a little
$20.00 sony.

last, is there a favorite? loaded question and i apologize, but i may
send a few $$$ to amazon for one soon.

thanks! jim n8rpi

Rick Pavelko

Hey Jim-

I just joined the group not too long ago myself. Welcome aboard!

I also have a mini 100. It has good selectivity, but the nulling and
sensitivity of the srf59 beat it. I just picked up an srf59 on Sunday
and have 40 out-of state stations logged already. It's a lot of fun!

Rick

Jay Heyl

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Tim Davisson <kd8gz@...> wrote:

Check out the little SRF-59. It's $14.99 at K-Mart's here in Akron. I
had to call 3 K-Mart locations...first 2 were sold out...finally got
one...now own a 2nd, and might likely buy a 3rd (for $15, why not? Hi,
Sony also sells them direct via the SonyStyle web site
(www.sonystyle.com). $14.99. They also have refurbs for $9.99. They
somewhat regularly run various specials, sometimes including free
shipping on all purchases. I got two refurbs for $19.98 delivered that
way. You just need to keep checking back to see what special is on
that day.

-- Jay

Jim <banjojim@...>

1st, thanks for the quick and numerous responses. at the moment i'm
setting up a new laptop computer, my priority at the moment. but in
the next couple days i'll start reading what was suggested. looks
fun. theres a couple fellows who takes great joy in these little
rigs in the odxa group.

the radio looks fun. logging, i probably won't do much with that. i
do some homebrewing and am too lazy to lable my bottles, so keeping
logs isn't in my psychie. playing with toys is. reminds me of when
i was a kid. i had a westinghouse am i got for christmas and would
stay up late most nights tuning around, amazed at the cities i got
here in southern michigan. i love shortwave, but get the same kick
picking up iowa.

the grundig mini, i actually got 2. bought one when i bought my
satillite 800 years back. then in registering the radio, i won a 2nd
one for visiting the site. free radio, can't top that!

last... gotta update my info at the arrl. i haven't used voyager
internet in many years, not sure it even exists. but thanks for
trying. i can be reached at banjojim@....

thanks again everybody, i look forweard to a new radio thats not
expensive!

jim n8rpi