DXing tomorrow AM from Pimentel, Peru

Gary DeBock

Hi John,

     Good luck on chasing the TP's and DU's tomorrow-- or maybe down there they are UP's and HU's?? (Upper Pacifics and Here Unders).

     It will be very interesting to know what your modified E100 and the Kaito 1103 can hear from Pimentel, Peru.  If this morning's superb conditions continue tomorrow, you should have a fantastic time right on that ocean beach pier.

     Yes, it was the worst possible morning to sleep in, although at 1330 there was still enough exceptional propagation to log 639-CNR1 in Beijing, 675-Hohhot (presumed), and 918-Shandong, all on the modified E100 with the 7.5" Slider loopstick.  Only 5 more Ultralight TP's, and I'll be ready for the "Master Ultralight TP DXer" award--  which you qualified for way back in July after two trips to Grayland with the Wellbrook array :>)

     73,  Gary

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

We've been in Peru for four days, having a great time seeing pre-Inca archeology on the North Coast and staying at Chiclayo.  I've arranged through friends of friends (with a cousin or two thrown in) to be met by a car at our hotel at 2:30AM local time.  We'll drive about 20 minutes straight west of Chiclayo to the little beach community of Pimentel.  There is a 600 foot pier extending into the open Pacific, pointing SW  at Australia that is easily visible on Google earth. Unless the pier is too noisy, I'll string out a 400 foot BOG on the pier (that would be a BOP, I believe!) and DX from there from 0900 to 1200 UTC on Monday.

If the pier is too noisy, we'll go just south of Pimentel on the Pan-Am highway and string a 400 foot BOG onto the sand.

I'm using a hotrodded E100 and a Kaito 1103 spotting receiver, both of which have` been modified to connect directly to the BOG.h

I'm afraid that this will be my only opportunity to DX from the coast as there are security problems in Trujillo (our next stop south of Chiclayo and then we head into the Andes.  I'll definitely do a night bandscan from Macchu Picchu, tho.

Very encouraged about the reports of TP conditions this morning, even if you guys couldn't get up at a reasonable hopur :>)

John B.
Chiclayo, Peru

Guy Atkins

Good luck with the DX locations, John!

You weren't kiddin' when you said it was visible on Google Earth. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I also looked at all the photos associated with the pier, and I see that a powerline runs the full length of the pier...hope that's not a problem. I also noted that the boards in the pier look very treacherous--lots of big gaps and broken planks that you could twist an ankle on! Take care out there in the middle of the night.

I wonder if you'll encounter any fishermen at that early hour as they get ready to shove off for their fishing expedition for the day. They might think you're putting out 400 feet of free fishing line for them  :^)

I have a suspicion you'll find the beaches to the south a lot more suitable, but good luck in any event; we look forward to hearing your results.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

[...]

robert ross

At 07:12 PM 9/14/2008, you wrote:

I'm using a hotrodded E100 and a Kaito 1103 spotting receiver, both of
which have` been modified to connect directly to the BOG.h

I'm afraid that this will be my only opportunity to DX from the coast as
there are security problems in Trujillo (our next stop south of Chiclayo
and then we head into the Andes. I'll definitely do a night bandscan from
Macchu Picchu, tho.
John B.
Chiclayo, Peru

John....Glad to hear you are having Fun in Peru and getting to see lots of
Interesting Stuff....that most of us will never get to see!!

Good luck out on the pier.....hope the DX is wailing onto the Pier for
you...and be careful out there!!

You realize that you may very well make the VERY FIRST Ultralight
Logging from PERU!! Everything you hear will be a record for PERU!!

Let us know how you do.

73.......ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)