High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights


dhsatyadhana <satya@...>
 

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the UltraLight DX
Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave loop on eBay from the
seller "noseknowsnose". It's a 3.5" Litz coil with a Q around 800. I
popped it into a small plastic box designed for old PC diskettes, used
double-stick foam tape to put a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I
stuffed some tissue in the box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to UltraLights,
making it easier to shade one sideband over the other or notch a pest
out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA


Gary Kinsman
 

Hello all,

As another alternative "portable" MW antenna for ultralights, the
Quantum Q-Stick works well with the DT-200VX (and presumably with
the DT-400W). Unfortunately, it doesn't do much at all with the
E100, which is a shame. It also works well with the larger E10 and
7600GR.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana" <satya@...>
wrote:

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the
UltraLight DX Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave
loop on eBay from the seller "noseknowsnose". It's a 3.5" Litz
coil with a Q around 800. I popped it into a small plastic box
designed for old PC diskettes, used double-stick foam tape to put
a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I stuffed some tissue in the
box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to
UltraLights, making it easier to shade one sideband over the other
or notch a pest out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA


dhsatyadhana <satya@...>
 

Hey Gary:

I've got the Quantum Stick as well - very nice for travel, and LW to
boot, plus it acts as a coupler. As you say, for some reason it
doesn't seem to do much for certain receivers - I get something on my
Eton e100, but not as much as I would expect. In fact, with most of
my Ultralights, the positioning seems to be the key - very finicky to
find the right position. Try putting the Q-Stick on the side of the
receiver such that the ferrite of the Q-Stick is in-line with the
ferrite in the e100 - this adjacent orientation seems to work better
than when the Q-Stick and receiver are face-to-face.

In comparing the Q-Stick and my home-brew just now with a variety of
ULRs and the Sony 7600GR, the gain and tuning sharpness on the home-
brew was substantially greater, often the difference between mumbling
audio and discernable reception, so it's become an instant accessory
in my ULR arsenal.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA


As another alternative "portable" MW antenna for ultralights, the
Quantum Q-Stick works well with the DT-200VX (and presumably with
the DT-400W). Unfortunately, it doesn't do much at all with the
E100, which is a shame. It also works well with the larger E10 and
7600GR.

Regards,
Gary


Gary Kinsman
 

Hi Kevin,

Your "ultralight loop" sounds great. Maybe you should go into
business selling them. Can you post a picture of it next to an E100
or a DT-200VX (for scale)?

And thanks for the tip on using the Q-Stick with the E100. I'll give
it a try. I agree that properly positioning the Q-Stick with the
ultralights is difficult.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana" <satya@...>
wrote:

Hey Gary:

I've got the Quantum Stick as well - very nice for travel, and LW
to boot, plus it acts as a coupler. As you say, for some reason
it doesn't seem to do much for certain receivers - I get something
on my Eton e100, but not as much as I would expect. In fact, with
most of my Ultralights, the positioning seems to be the key - very
finicky to find the right position. Try putting the Q-Stick on
the side of the receiver such that the ferrite of the Q-Stick is
in-line with the ferrite in the e100 - this adjacent orientation
seems to work better than when the Q-Stick and receiver are face-
to-face.

In comparing the Q-Stick and my home-brew just now with a variety
of ULRs and the Sony 7600GR, the gain and tuning sharpness on the
home-brew was substantially greater, often the difference between
mumbling audio and discernable reception, so it's become an
instant accessory in my ULR arsenal.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA


Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>
 

What was the cost of the loop coil ?

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot


--- On Tue, 9/2/08, dhsatyadhana wrote:
From: dhsatyadhana
Subject: [ultralightdx] High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:59 PM

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the UltraLight DX
Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave loop on eBay from the
seller "noseknowsnose" . It's a 3.5" Litz coil with a Q around 800. I
popped it into a small plastic box designed for old PC diskettes, used
double-stick foam tape to put a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I
stuffed some tissue in the box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to UltraLights,
making it easier to shade one sideband over the other or notch a pest
out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA



huelbe_garcia@fastimap.com <huelbe_garcia@...>
 

Hi Russ, Kevin

if you allow me, there are those homebrew coils at eBay, see:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/noseknowsnose

They're products seems very well made. However, I've never made a deal with this seller.

--hg


Russ Edmunds wrote:

What was the cost of the loop coil ?

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

--- On Tue, 9/2/08, dhsatyadhana wrote:
From: dhsatyadhana
Subject: [ultralightdx] High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:59 PM

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the UltraLight DX
Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave loop on eBay from the
seller "noseknowsnose" . It's a 3.5" Litz coil with a Q around 800. I
popped it into a small plastic box designed for old PC diskettes, used
double-stick foam tape to put a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I
stuffed some tissue in the box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to UltraLights,
making it easier to shade one sideband over the other or notch a pest
out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA




satya@...
 

Hi Russ and Huelbe:

That's the guy I did business with - quick shipment and a great coil.

Kevin

Hi Russ, Kevin

if you allow me, there are those homebrew coils at eBay, see:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/noseknowsnose

They're products seems very well made. However, I've never made a deal
with this seller.

--hg


Russ Edmunds wrote: What was the cost of the
loop coil ?

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 &amp; Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

--- On Tue, 9/2/08, dhsatyadhana wrote:
From: dhsatyadhana
Subject: [ultralightdx] High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:59 PM

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the UltraLight DX
Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave loop on eBay from the
seller "noseknowsnose" . It's a 3.5" Litz coil with a Q around 800. I
popped it into a small plastic box designed for old PC diskettes, used
double-stick foam tape to put a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I
stuffed some tissue in the box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to UltraLights,
making it easier to shade one sideband over the other or notch a pest
out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA




satya@...
 

Hey Russ:

Mine was different than the one the Ebay seller has now. Mine was made
from 180/44 and cost $21. The 220/46 he has now probably has a bit better
Q across the band, but cost $30. I get the sense that he might make
whatever people want, so you might want to contact him if you're
interested in one like mine.

Kevin

What was the cost of the loop coil ?

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>
FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

--- On Tue, 9/2/08, dhsatyadhana <satya@...> wrote:

From: dhsatyadhana <satya@...>
Subject: [ultralightdx] High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 9:59 PM






Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the UltraLight DX
Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave loop on eBay from the
seller "noseknowsnose" . It's a 3.5" Litz coil with a Q around 800. I
popped it into a small plastic box designed for old PC diskettes, used
double-stick foam tape to put a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I
stuffed some tissue in the box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to UltraLights,
making it easier to shade one sideband over the other or notch a pest
out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

















Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>
 

AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, satya@... <satya@...> wrote:



Hi Russ and Huelbe:

That's the guy I did business with - quick shipment and a great coil.

Kevin

I'm wondering if there's any significant difference for our purposes between the two types he offers ( there sure is a per unit price difference <g> ).


Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>
FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Sony ICF 2010 barefoot
Sony SRF-59 barefoot


Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>
 

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, satya@... <satya@...> wrote:

From: satya@... <satya@...>
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 9:02 PM






Hey Russ:

Mine was different than the one the Ebay seller has now. Mine was made
from 180/44 and cost $21. The 220/46 he has now probably has a bit better
Q across the band, but cost $30. I get the sense that he might make
whatever people want, so you might want to contact him if you're
interested in one like mine.

Kevin


The larger one listed he shows as 750 Q. The two smaller ones only 190, so I may indeed email him to see if he can do one more like yours. Thanks-


Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>
FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'
AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot


John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>
 

Kevin...

I must have missed the e-mail that described how you are using these loops w/ULR.  Are you connecting them directly to the ULR, with an inductive coil on the loopstick?  Or are you hooking them to a capacitor and tuning them, with side-by-side inductive coupling? Or are you pulling out the stock loopstick and substituting the coil... easy to do in the E100.  ????  Intensely curious.... and sorry if I missed a post.

John Bryant,
Ultralighting my way across Peru


satya@...
 

Hey John/all:

I posted a couple pictures earlier on the UltraLight group in the Photos
section, depicting how I placed the coil inside of an old 3.5" computer
diskette box, put a small variable capacitor on it, and Voila! a ULr-sized
passive loop, perfect for inductive coupling to an ULr. The high-tech
packing material is "papier toilette" in order to keep the loop from
bouncing around.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA


Kevin

Kevin...

I must have missed the e-mail that described how you are using these
loops w/ULR. Are you connecting them directly to the ULR, with an
inductive coil on the loopstick? Or are you hooking them to a
capacitor and tuning them, with side-by-side inductive coupling? Or
are you pulling out the stock loopstick and substituting the coil...
easy to do in the E100. ???? Intensely curious.... and sorry if I
missed a post.

John Bryant,
Ultralighting my way across Peru