E100 "birdies" near 640 kHz

Gary Kinsman

Hello all,

While comparing my E100 to my 7600GR and E10 -- all of which have 1
kHz tuning steps -- I hear hets near 640 kHz only on the E100, not on
the other two radios. So these hets are internally generated noises
or "birdies."

In the last day they've occurred on 637-639 kHz or 638-640 kHz, and
are strongest on the middle frequency (i.e., 638 or 639 kHz).

Does anybody else notice birdies near 640 kHz on their E100 units?

Thanks,
Gary

satya@...

Hey Gary:

You may be hearing an image two IF freqs (2 x 455 = 910) down from a
strong local, which is heterodyning with another station on 640; do you
have a fairly strong local station at 1550?

I have two locals at 1590 and 1680, and I get strong hets (if not audio)
on 680 and 770, respectively, especially during the day. If I null 1590
and 1680, the hets down-band go away. So, maybe try tuning to 640 and
rotate the e100 to minimize the het, which might tell you what direction
the offending local is in?

Note also that the digital display on the e100 has been known to be a khz
off, so what appears to be 638 or 639 could actually be 639 or 640.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

Hello all,

While comparing my E100 to my 7600GR and E10 -- all of which have 1
kHz tuning steps -- I hear hets near 640 kHz only on the E100, not on
the other two radios. So these hets are internally generated noises
or "birdies."

In the last day they've occurred on 637-639 kHz or 638-640 kHz, and
are strongest on the middle frequency (i.e., 638 or 639 kHz).

Does anybody else notice birdies near 640 kHz on their E100 units?

Thanks,
Gary

satya@...

Hi Gary:

I see you're on pacbell.net, which probably means that KFI-LA on 640 is
butting heads with an image from KYCY-San Francisco, KXEX-Fresno, or
KWRN-Apple Valley on 1550, depending on where you are in California.

73 - Kevin

Hello all,

While comparing my E100 to my 7600GR and E10 -- all of which have 1
kHz tuning steps -- I hear hets near 640 kHz only on the E100, not on
the other two radios. So these hets are internally generated noises
or "birdies."

In the last day they've occurred on 637-639 kHz or 638-640 kHz, and
are strongest on the middle frequency (i.e., 638 or 639 kHz).

Does anybody else notice birdies near 640 kHz on their E100 units?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Kinsman

Hi Kevin,

I live in Simi Valley, about 50 miles from KFI's location.

I was originally thinking along the same lines, but I don't have a
strong local on 1550, and rotating the radio doesn't change the
intensity of the het.

BTW, I think my E100 display is off in the opposite direction. When
the display shows 1 kHz high, the radio is tuned closer to the
desired frequency than when the display shows on frequency. In other
words, for 640 kHz, the display will show 641 kHz when tuned for
best reception.

Regards,
Gary