Summertime Shootout File Uploaded to DXer.ca

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     The new Ultralight Radio AM-DX Summertime Shootout file has been uploaded to dxer.ca, including full information and photos on the SRF-S84, SRF-M97, E100, SRF-M37W, and DT-400W models.  Extremely detailed information is provided for sensitivity, selectivity, nulling ability, images/spurs, AGC, audio quality, digital tuning noise, and quality control record.  In addition, a bonus section is provided comparing all these models with all the other top-rated Ultralight radio models (SRF-59, SRF-39FP, SRF-T615, DT-210V and DT-200VX units).

     If you have any question at all about the top Ultralight radio models, the answer is probably available in this Shootout.  Get ready for a SUPER fall DX season!

     73 and Great Ultralight DX,     Gary DeBock

ronshire2000

the DT400W is available at this time at newegg for $54.99 including
the shipping at the following link. i ordered this morning and it was
shipped today also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882720041&nm_mc=OTC-Pronto&cm_mmc=OTC-Pronto-_-Home+Audio-_-Sangean-_-82720041

Ron N8APZ

ronshire2000

Gary, what a great job you have done putting together the 2008 summer
shootout. i haven't read everything yet but am very impressed with
your work. so much so i ordered a DT400W today. See previous post for
link from where i purchased it.

i did see one typo in the sensitivity table, in the SRF-T615 row, 3rd
column it reads "steady weak audio (30". my guess is should read
'steady weak audio (3)'. i'm not trying to lint pick but did notice it
and thought you may want to correct the file for future use.

Thank you very much for all your enjoyable hard work. i am sure
everyone will make good use of this info

Ron N8APZ

Steve Ponder <n5wbi@...>

Ron,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a second one for
myself. With the free shipping, it costs the same as
my first one that I purchased from Amazon that I had
to pay shipping for!

Gary D's confidence in these radios ...

After ordering three DT-400W review models for the
Summertime Shootout and having all three units arrive
from the factory in an excellent state of wide-band
AM sensitivity, I can strongly recommend this
innovative new receiver for any Ultralight DXer looking
for a thrilling fall DX season. It is highly unusual
for the Chinese factories to consistently perform
excellent AM alignments, but Sangean has apparently
managed to accomplish this. As long as you can
tolerate the yellow color, you'll love it :>)
makes me feel pretty good that this second one should
perform as good as my first one.

Plus, I personally think the yellow color is attractive!
The "yellow jersey" color is a conversation starter!
Good way to get others into the hobby!!

73,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX

texnote

What a wonderfully written, detailed, and professional report!

Thank you Gary.

[...]

**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find
your travel
deal here.

Ron and Paul,

     Thank you very much for your positive comments on the Summertime Shootout article.  It was fun to write, and I'm very pleased that it is proving helpful to Ultralight enthusiasts as they prepare for a thrilling DX season.

     Ron, I am aware of two typos that made it into the Shootout posted on dxer.ca, but haven't yet figured out how to edit them in the dxer.ca protocol (without re-posting the entire document).  Anyway, if anyone would like a perfect shootout file with superior photos, I would be happy to send it directly by email.

     The DT-400W's great AM performance was quite a surprise here, and a timely discovery right before the DX season.  Having had the dubious distinction of being responsible for driving the price of the SRF-T615 into the stratosphere because of my recommendation in the January 2008 Shootout, I would like to make amends by recommending that all interested hobbyists purchase their DT-400W models ASAP, before Sangean responds to the booming interest with a booming price increase.

     73,  Gary DeBock

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

I just ordered one from Amazon and it will be here on Friday. Finally
no more headphones or flashlights needed for outdoor DX. The weather
alert is a plus in my book.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Steve Ponder" <n5wbi@...> wrote:

Ron,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a second one for
myself. With the free shipping, it costs the same as
my first one that I purchased from Amazon that I had
to pay shipping for!

Gary D's confidence in these radios ...

73,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX

bbwrwy

Thanks Gary for the excellent review. As a result I purchased a
DT-400W and used it for the first time yesterday. The build quality
is excellent, as is the ease of operation.

With my example sensitivity appears best in the middle part of the AM
band. The daytime signal from WNAX-570 (5 kW @ 726 km) was barely
audible on the DT-400W while there was partially readable audio on my
SRF-M37W. There was no signal from KKLF-1700 (10 kW @ 337 km) noted
on the DT-400W, but it was barely audible on the M37W. Between about
700 and 1500 kHz the sensitivity is better than either the SRF-59 or
M37W I compared it with.

I could not hear KBUF-1030 (1 kW @ 355 km) with the DT-400W because of
slop from local KOKP-1020 (0.4 kW @ 26 km). I've only found the E100
was able to pickup KBUF at mid-day.

Adjacent channel slop from local stations can be rejected by turning
the receiver perpendicular to the objectionable signal. Nearby
KFXY-1640 (10 kW @ 40 km) was heard on 1630 and 1650 on the DT-400W,
but it was eliminated by rotating 90° to the signal. The station
overloads the M37W from 1620 to 1630 and it can't be cleared up by
rotating.

One of my complaints about the M37W was it couldn't receive any NOAA
WX station here. The DT-400W pulled in four different NOAA stations
clearly.

My conclusion is it's an outstanding receiver, and I recommend it to
all ULR fanatics. I suspect we will be seeing DT-400W modifications
shortly. I only wish it could be tuned in one kilohertz steps.

One question: Where is the receiver manufactured? I find no country of
origin on the DT-400W. I'd always thought Sangean was a Taiwanese
company.

Richard Allen.