DT-400W Performance

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     The new Sangean DT-400W was the big surprise of the 5 models tested in the Summertime Shootout, and does indeed have wide-band sensitivity superior to all other Ultralight models (including the SRF-T615 and the E100).  In order to confirm that this was not a fluke, three DT-400W models were ordered, and all three had the same great AM performance.  Accordingly, Ultralight enthusiasts can have confidence in ordering this model, for highly sensitive Ultralight DXing this fall season.

     Full details on the DT-400W evaluation, including its relative performance against the E100 and SRF-T615 models (as well as all other top Ultralight models) will be contained in the Summertime Shootout review, which is in the final stages of completion and should be available very shortly to all enthusiasts.

     73, Gary DeBock

Hello Paul,

     The DT-400W has an outstanding FM section, with sensitivity and selectivity equal to the best Ultralight models (E100 and the AM-turkey model DT-220V, which is outstanding on FM).

     The DT-200VX RF board has been completely redesigned in this new DT-400W, making the AM sensitivity significantly more wide-band than that of the DT-200VX.  It is also more wide-band than any other Ultralight model, including the previous best unit, the $100+ SRF-T615.  So yes, I do think it is worthwhile for a DT-200VX owner to purchase a DT-400W.  I am a DT-200VX owner, and I purchased three DT-400W models....to ensure that the great performance was no fluke, before rating it tops in the Shootout. It's no fluke!

     73,  Gary

texnote

Gary,

How's the DT-400W on FM as compared to other ultralights?

Paul

texnote

... also, for those of us who have a Sangean DT-200VX, is getting the
DT-400W worth it (AM and FM)?

Paul

--- In ultralightdx@..., "texnote" <texnote@...> wrote:

Gary,

How's the DT-400W on FM as compared to other ultralights?

Paul

Joseph Miller <radiodxer2000@...>

Thx Gary,

A nice picture and short description can be seen at:

73 de Joe, KJ8O

From: D1028Gary@... <D1028Gary@...>
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 7:38 PM

Hello Guys,

     The new Sangean DT-400W was the big surprise of the 5 models
tested in the Summertime Shootout, and does indeed have wide-band
sensitivity superior to all other Ultralight models (including the
SRF-T615 and the E100).  In order to confirm that this was not a
fluke, three DT-400W models were ordered, and all three had the same
great AM performance.  Accordingly, Ultralight enthusiasts can have
confidence in ordering this model, for highly sensitive Ultralight
DXing this fall season.

     Full details on the DT-400W evaluation, including its relative
performance against the E100 and SRF-T615 models (as well as all
other top Ultralight models) will be contained in the Summertime
Shootout review, which is in the final stages of completion and
should be available very shortly to all enthusiasts.

     73, Gary DeBock

bbwrwy

Mark: The DT-$00W can be set to either 9 or 10 kHz steps. The 9 kHz
band is 522 to 1629 kHz. No provision for 1 or 5 kHz tuning. The
closest you can get to 555 kHz would be 558 kHz.

Request, can you suggest 10 or 12 stations from across the Atlantic
that we DXers in the heart of the continent might hear if conditions
are right? Thanks.

Richard Allen.

Galassi <w.matilda@...>

MarkWA1ION ha scritto:
Before I pull the trigger and order a Sangean DT-400w, I have one crucial question for the assembled multitude. Can the receiver be set to 9 kHz multiple AM channels as well as to 10 kHz spaced ones ?
Also, is there any ability to tune to the few "oddball" 5 kHz spaced channels (such as the St. Kitts stations on 555 and 895) ?

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA
Same question here, by a european listener :-) .
Hallo to mr.Connelly and all the ultralighters!

Good Dxing

Giampaolo Galassi, Italy