Grundig G6

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Even though the G6 does not fit the definition of an ultralight, I'm very tempted to buy one as a spotting receiver to use on my upcoming trip to Peru. I'm going to be on the northern coast of Peru for several nights and a hotrodded E100 is going with me. I have very limited packing space, so the tiny G6 seems a perfect choice. I've looked over the specs and the manual and I can't find the answer to two burning questions:

1: What is the tuning resolution on MW.... surely, its at least 100 hertz to be able to resolve SSB on SW
2. For sure, does the SSB mode work on MW.

Help would be appreciated.

John B.

Steve Ponder <n5wbi@...>

John,

Read the G6 review by Ann E. Revelle on the Amazon webpage ...

http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-G6-Aviator-aircraft-Shortwave/dp/B0014T5UM4

<snip>
"Unlike some other radios, SSB tuning is also available on the
G6 on the AM band as well as on SW which is a very useful feature.
The separate ability to step tune in very small increments with the
jog dial setting is also excellent in my opinion once a signal of
interest has been located."
<snip>

Sounds like this person may have answered your questions!

73,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Thanks, Steve! That was an excellent review.

The G6 sounds like a winner, though I was disappointed to learn that the AM band only used the ferrite bar antenna, where SW was provided with an external antenna input port. I suspect that I'll be opening the back and installing an inductive loop from the ferrite bar to the antenna input port..... might even shorten the ferrite bar as I'm not interested in using the G6 Barefoot.

John B.

At 12:24 AM 8/16/2008 -0500, you wrote:

John,

Read the G6 review by Ann E. Revelle on the Amazon webpage ...

http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-G6-Aviator-aircraft-Shortwave/dp/B0014T5UM4

"Unlike some other radios, SSB tuning is also available on the
G6 on the AM band as well as on SW which is a very useful feature.
The separate ability to step tune in very small increments with the
jog dial setting is also excellent in my opinion once a signal of
interest has been located."

Sounds like this person may have answered your questions!

73,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

If there are any G6 owners out there, I'm still wondering about the MW tuning steps with the jog dial.  The review that Steve pointed me to talks of "small steps" or such, but I'm really hoping for at least 100 Hz as the smallest step in Slow.... for SSB use, natch.  Anybody got one??

John B.

At 12:24 AM 8/16/2008 -0500, you wrote:

John,

Read the G6 review by Ann E. Revelle on the Amazon webpage ...

http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-G6-Aviator-aircraft-Shortwave/dp/B0014T5UM4

"Unlike some other radios, SSB tuning is also available on the
G6 on the AM band as well as on SW which is a very useful feature.
The separate ability to step tune in very small increments with the
jog dial setting is also excellent in my opinion once a signal of
interest has been located."

Sounds like this person may have answered your questions!

73,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX

satya@...

I'm with John, and also wondering if with the small SSB tuning steps, one
can tune a couple khz down from a station and then zero beat back in, thus
prefering the lower sideband over the upper? Maybe even shaving the upper
one off? The ability to mimic true ECSS on the G6 would be incredibly
valuable.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

<http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-G6-Aviator-aircraft-Shortwave/dp/B0014T5UM4>http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-G6-Aviator-aircraft-Shortwave/dp/B0014T5UM4