Article Now Available: Building and Operating the Digital SRF-39

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

At 02:11 AM 7/22/2008 +0000, you wrote:

very interesting read on your progress on the updated version of the
srf39 and a digital display.

i'm interested in where you got the vernier and which version of the
AADE display versions did you buy? it appears we would need to ask
Neil to modify one for us.

I THINK THAT IT IS HIS VERSION 1, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL NEIL THAT YOU ARE ORDERING ONE FOR THE SRF-39 series and he will pick the correct one and DO THE SPECIAL PROGRAMMING.  I PAID THE EXTRA $15 AND GOT THE TWO-LINE DISPLAY

i found a vernier at ocean state electronics that is similar but is
4:1 ratio in 180 degrees rotation at $15 plus shipping. your article
sort of implied that a higher ratio may be desirable?

YES, I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED IN THE ARTICLE THAT THE VERNIER CAME FROM OCEAN STATE, TOO. THEY ARE PRETTY HARD TO COME BY.  AND YES, I WISH THAT THE REDUCTION RATIO WOULD BE ABOUT DOUBLED.  I THINK THAT MIGHT BE AT LEAST PARTLY SOLVED BY A LARGER DIAMETER TUNING KNOB THAN THE ONE THAT I AM USING.  ALSO, THE VERNIER WAS QUITE STIFF WHEN I RECEIVED IT.  I SUSPECTED THAT IT MIGHT BE FROM TOO THICK A LUBRICANT, SO I GAVE IT A THOROUGH BATH IN WD-40 AND NOW IT IS QUITE FREE.  I WANTED IT FREE SO THAT I COULD TELL CLEARLY WHEN I HIT THE STOP AT EITHER END OF THE TUNING CAP.... IF NOT, THE MECHANICAL ADVANTAG OF THAT VERNIER DRIVE COULD DESTROY THE TUNING CAP IN A HEARTBEAT.

i'm still looking for some srf39's or may open up one of my 59's to
see whats involved with using it. the picture i found on the web shows
the tuning cap with the gear and knob removed leaving a shaft with
flats on it that may lend itself to connection to a vernier in a
different way than the 39

STANDARD 39S SEEM TO STILL BE QUITE AVAILABLE ON EBAY... BUT THE FPS SEEM TO BE GONE. BOTH HAE THE SAME DIAMETER TUNING WHEEL. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHERS.

thank you for the write up and any other help you can pass on.

YOU BETCHA.... ITS NICE TO KNOW THAT SOME FOLKS ARE READING THEM.  GOOD QUESTIONS, TOO!  tHANKS

JOHN B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest

ronshire2000

very interesting read on your progress on the updated version of the
srf39 and a digital display.

i'm interested in where you got the vernier and which version of the
AADE display versions did you buy? it appears we would need to ask
Neil to modify one for us.

i found a vernier at ocean state electronics that is similar but is
4:1 ratio in 180 degrees rotation at $15 plus shipping. your article
sort of implied that a higher ratio may be desirable?

i'm still looking for some srf39's or may open up one of my 59's to
see whats involved with using it. the picture i found on the web shows
the tuning cap with the gear and knob removed leaving a shaft with
flats on it that may lend itself to connection to a vernier in a
different way than the 39

thank you for the write up and any other help you can pass on.

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

I've finally found time to finish the long-promised article detailing adding an AADE Digital Frequency Display to and SRF-39. It's titled "Building and Operating the Digital Sony SRF-39" and its located on the third (last) page of files in our Ultralight Files Area of dxer.ca. For those of you fascinated by the performance of this family of Ultralights, here is a way to get a digital dial and a tuning know that can be operated fairly easily.