DT-200VX vs.E100 Comments

MarkWA1ION

I am willing to send my E100 out there to Gary for whatever
alignments and antenna super-sizing experiments he may wish to try.
Presumably I could get back a seriously-hotrodded ultralight DX
machine by September or so, perhaps for a modification cost in the
sub-$100 range. But we can work out that detail later and, of
course, if the performance is truly jaw-dropping, price would be less
critical.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA

<<
Mark and Others,

E100 experimentation here has already produced models
significantly more sensitive than a stock 2010, but we (John, Guy and
I) are attempting to create radios with both sensitivity and
selectivity improvements, which will be capable of receiving multiple
DU's on ocean beaches this summer.

Receiving DU's on Ultralights is a tough challenge, because not
only are signal levels generally weak, but the directional bearings
are usually in-line with Seattle and Vancouver adjacent QRM, making
it impossible to null the locals. It's almost the same situation as
you described a few months ago, referring to QRM from NYC and other
semi-locals, as you chase TA's in Massachusetts-- only in this case,
the DX is much weaker. John was able to log multiple DU's at
Grayland with his directional Wellbrook array hooked up to an E100,
but for stock Ultralights, the DU action has been rare indeed. Last
Sunday at Grayland I was able to barely hear audio on 738-Tahiti on
an SRF-T615, and on April 20th, had unID audio on 531 looping in the
DU direction. But the tinkerers here in WA are looking for a lot
more than that, hi.

In about a month or so, Mark, it should be clear how successful
we will be, in creating the "Ultimate DXpedition Ultralight."
Assuming there is progress, I would be happy to modify an E100 for
you, although it would be primarily for fun, not $$. We hope many
more highly successful DXpeditioners like yourself will take up the
challenge of Ultralight TA chasing, especially if the E100 can be hot-
rodded into a "dream machine."

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

[...]

I too went for the E100 deal from Fry's (price a bit over $40).

My house interior is so riddled with RF digi-hash that I couldn't
really give it a fair sensitivity test yet. I'll have to take it
outdoors during the day over the weekend.

I have also noted the 1 kHz high readout quirk. A station on 1030
sounds best on 1031. Furthermore, selectivity seems sharper on the
lower side of an AM signal than when you go higher in frequency.
Roll-off 2 kHz below the apparent center occurs about as you would
expect it: the higher frequency audio gets scratchy and splatter-
like. But going 3 kHz above apparent center, perfectly readable
audio can still be had. At some point (about 2 kHz above center) it
actually sounds more muffled and bassy rather than the expected
scratchy / trebly sound that typically occurs when you tune to the
side of an AM signal. This just seems weird to me and makes me think
that something besides the center frequency readout accuracy needs to
be aligned.

In general I think the receiver has possibilities and, since I have a
number of other ultralight and semi-light portables, I'd consider it
a good "guinea pig" to send out to Gary to have him rework for a
larger external ferrite rod and to do whatever other magic he may
wish to perform (for a fair price) to turn this thing into a DX
machine capable of beating a stock Sony ICF-2010 or ICF-S5W, at least
in the sensitivity department.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

<<
Hello Paul (and John, Rob and others),

I'm glad you enjoy using your new E100, Paul. The 200 memories
and 1 kHz digital tuning steps give this model an edge over other
Ultralights, as proven by John's reception of multiple DU's, while
hooking it up to his Wellbrook array at Grayland. Even for casual
DXers, it has many superb capabilities.

The E100 just barely missed the cutoff for the 2008 Ultralight
Radio AM-DX Shootout (published on dxer.ca in February), so its
relative capabilities were not closely investigated at that time.
Because of that, and because other capable Ultralight models have
been "discovered" since February, a "Midsummer Ultralight AM-DX
Shootout" is seriously being considered (if there is sufficient
interest). This would compare the E100 and other new "contenders"
with the top models from the February shootout (SRF-39FP/59, DT-
200VX, SRF-T615, DT-210V, etc.) in the same format as the February
shootout, now posted on dxer.ca. What do you guys think?

John is correct in that 3 Washington state tinkering fanatics
are making 3 different E100 hot-rodding designs in 3 different,
bizarre ways. May the more reasonable, mainstream Ultralight
enthusiast group have mercy on us.

73, Gary

Guy Atkins

Hi Dennis,

I have owned a E10 for a while, and today received a couple of E100s that
were display models (got 'em for a song). I believe John Bryant has the E10
too..and we both have the big brother Eton E1.

I also got my E10 from Fry's for $30, and I really like the IF shift
feature, mainly because it means there is a 455 kHz filter inside, easily
swapped out for a narrower, better filter! So many of the small portables
these days have the tough to find 450 kHz IF filters.

So far I've been happy with the stock performance of the E10 on MW, but its
somewhat behind the DE1103.

73, Guy