Down Under Success!

Gary DeBock

Congratulations John,

     Your receptions of 5AN and 4TAB-891 are fantastic, and show that Ultralight DXing is the perfect cure for DXing boredom!  There are many new challenges in Ultralight DXing, even with your breakthrough loggings of the first DU's, using your trio of Ultralights hooked up to the Wellbrook array.  You should feel very proud, in hearing the first definite ID's from Australia, the last area in the world to be logged by North American ULR DXers

     As Guy Atkins and I join you at Grayland on Sunday night,  I'll be bringing the latest in hot-rodded Ultralights, as well as the 19.5" loopstick ICF-2010, to try my own luck.  My stock SRF-T615 also will be eager for another shot at the 531-DU station, which never ID'ed during a 10 minute stretch on April 20th :>)

     The last time at Grayland, some audio from 2YA-567 was heard on the 20" loopstick SRF-39FP, but splatter from KVI-570 was just too much to pull out any ID's.  So if you are looking for some new challenges, John, you might try for this and other New Zealand stations, if propagation allows.

     Congratulations again, John, and I'm very happy that an experienced DXer like yourself has discovered the supreme thrill of DU chasing on the Ultralights, which is something like the ultimate challenge in this exciting new form of intercontinental AM-DX.  See you on Saturday (along with Ruth, Danny and the "Frankenlights").

                                                                                             73,  Gary

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Once again, ultralighting came to the rescue! Despite deploying the Wellbrook Array, the mediocre Trans-Pacific DX conditions reported widely elsewhere would have garnered me a very mediocre and depressing morning.  Using my Winradio 313E, and starting two hours before dawn, I noted over 40 channels with various levels of hets, prior to dawn enhancement. Most were below 1116. I even had threshold audio on a dozen of the usual suspects: 702, 738, 756, 774 (JJ at about 1130), 891, 1017, 1028, 1098, 1116, 1134, 1287 (prob.JJ) 1512 and 1611.

As dawn enhancement began at 1145, I noted more threshold audio on 648, again on 738 (DU). On 774, NHK was coming in well enough that I tried all three Ultralights that I had hooked to the array. (National SRF-39, DT-200VX mod., E100) The E100 was the best, overall, and I happily listened to a few phrases of Japanese during, I think, a language lesson.  That was my first-ever TP with an ultralight receiver. Felt real good! Soon after that, the JJ faded away and pre and post dawn were both exclusively DU. They were all at threshold or just above, with 8 or ten rising to language recognition level.  Each of those was DU, about 1/3 NZ and the rest Aussie. None were at a level to be receivable on the Ultralights, even hooked to the array.

Then I stumbled upon 891, right at dawn (1215) and it was at (just) listenable levels. I tried the E100, expecting 891 to be swamped by whatever was on 890... or by splatter from that dastardly Canadian on 900. Not so, Tonto!  There sat the DU, coming in almost as well on the E100 as on the 313E. I then tried the DT-200VX and the National SRF-39 and got the DU on each, with somewhat reduced S/N. Happily, 890 is pretty much an open frequency after Mr. Sun knocks out the 890 Chicago station about an hour before our dawn... and the array was looking due SW, away from the Victoria station on 900... My ship had come in!

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but happily, conditions stayed stable for over 15 minutes.  There were actually two stations on 891 and I was hearing each quite well. They were 5AN, ABC Adelaide and 4TAB Townsville. Each would dominate for two or three minutes with very little interference from the other. Then, almost like flipping a switch, they would reverse. 4TAB was running their usual horse racing programming, with race calls and betting payouts. I heard mention more than once of TAB. When 5AN was in, it was running the some talk/public affairs and some popular music. I heard mention of "Morning Melody," possibly the program name. The music to my ears, though, was hearing them go to ABC News at 1230, with an ID as "ABC ADELAIDE!" After that, I had a brief celebration, dancing around the campfire, shouting various Chickasaw war hoops and generally acting stupid. It felt REAL good!

At 1230, dawn had happened 15 minutes earlier and I knew that things would likely close down within 20 more minutes or so.  It was time to try for the Hawaiians, now that dawn had diminished their continental co-channels. I heard three potential Hawaiians before things faded out at 1245. 760 (prob. KGU) had relig. talk by a female preacher (this matches their format); 1110 (maybe KAOI?) had trucker talk and 670 (maybe KPUA) was running a news program called "Wall Street Journal This Morning." It may be very difficult to determine whether any of these were Hawaiians, since they are all syndicated programs and the propagation only seems to work from about 1220 to 1245. I'm here for three more mornings, so..... maybe a local commercial or PSA at the half hour???

I did get one opportunity to compare the 12" x 1" ferrite booster bar to directly connecting the Ultralight radio to the Wellbrook array. I couldn't hear any audio at all on 891 with the ferrite, while I had 100% intelligibility with direct connection to the array.  During the DX session here at the beach, there was no sign of overload of the Ultralights that were connected to the array.

Well, now I can complete that article on adding a MW antenna input port to portable radios :>)

Reporting live from the Local Tavern and wi-fi hotspot in Grayland, Washington,

John B.
WinRadio 313E, Ultralights
Wellbrook Array to SW and NW
Grayland, WA, USA

lrdheat

"The music to my ears, though, was hearing them go to ABC News at 1230, with an ID as "ABC ADELAIDE!" After that, I had a brief celebration, dancing around the campfire, shouting various Chickasaw war hoops and generally acting stupid. It felt REAL good! "

Nice going, and great description of your setup, and of the thrill of DU reception! Do you think voice would have been heard on any of the ultralights barefoot?

Thanks for sharing this with the group

Richard "Heatwave" Berler

lrdheat

"I did get one opportunity to compare the 12" x 1" ferrite booster bar to directly connecting the Ultralight radio to the Wellbrook array. I couldn't hear any audio at all on 891 with the ferrite, while I had 100% intelligibility with direct connection to the array."

I guess this answers my question about picking up the DU barefoot. Your array must be quite awesome. I'm amazed that these ultralights can handle a significant antenna without overloading.

Best of luck to Gary with 531!

Heatwave

robert ross

John:

Way to Go Brother!!!!!! From way over here in the land too far away to
ever log Austrailia on an Ultralight.....I extend my congratulations to you
on being the first DX'er to positively ID an Aussie with an Ultralight
Radio!! There are a Pile of us who truly know just what you have
accomplished with these Receptions John.......you have taken the Challenge
to the final frontier...I don't know what else can be heard that will top
this. Your hard work and dedication to ULR DX'ing has made us all proud!!

I guess about all you can do now is try to log 100 Aussie's in a Week!!
HAHAHHA......Good Luck!!

I'm sure this is making your Summer on the west coast all the more
enjoyable......

Hopefully the conditions will stay for Gary and Guy on the weekend!!

73...ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)