E100 may be On The Way OUT!

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Like Gary,

I can't decide just which radio I'd take with me on a DXpedition if I could only take one.... I love my T615.... However, as an all-around radio that I use to DX and to set on my desk to listen to.... and prop by the bed at times, the E100 wins hands down. I love that radio.

After Dennis mentioned having trouble finding one locally in Washington, I wondered once again at the great deal that Gary and Robb got on those two units that they bought ($27!) Now why would a good company be selling a $100 radio for $27? I went on line to buy mine about 6 weeks ago and didn't find that $27.00 deal, but I saw several outlets had them for $39.00. I got one of those... still, a great deal for a $100 radio. With Dennis looking for one and me about to recommend an E100 (has SW, too) to friend Kirk Allen, I decided to look on line. A lot of things have changed in 6 weeks since I last looked. I could Google only one $39.00 deal and that was at Overstock.com.... when I went there, it was marked "temporarily out of stock." Yeah, right. There were very few places left that had E100 at any price.... and showed them in stock. There were a couple of places, ebay stores and Amazon stores that seemed to have them at about $65 to $75. I did notice that two were being auctioned on ebay... one had a "Buy It Now" button for $49.95 for a NIB unit. I bought it.... I really wanted one totally stock unit and, as I say, I love this radio.

Anyway, I went to the Eton corporate site and they showed the E100 in their gallery of Past Models!!! They show a $60 E1100 now in the Line that looks exactly like the E100, with the numerical entry pad removed and few to no memories, apparently. It did show four outlets where you could buy the E100... J&R, Universal SW, National Geographic and some sports/outdoor store. I went to two of them and they were "Temporarily Out of Stock." Universal seemed to still have them for $100, but I wonder.

So, if you want to join the ranks of the E100 owners, it looks like you better get busy

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)

Gary DeBock

Hello Guys,

     This was very surprising news, but it now seems a reality.  The E100 was the best digital Ultralight I've ever tested for selectivity, and its sensitivity (after full alignment, which always improves the low band greatly on those models with a movable loopstick coil) is superior to any other Ultralight on the high band, and just a shade lower than the SRF-T615 on the low band.

     If you have interest in this model, it's recommended that you act quickly to nail one down, even at the price of $80 to $100.  They are fully worth it, and the Ultralight enthusiasts may not see another such full-featured pocket radio for a long time to come.

     It's a shame they are being discontinued, as I personally had plans to hot-rod this model with super loopsticks, as an ideal digital DX platform.  It also has a 455 kHz IF, which makes it suitable for conventional IF filter selectivity modifications.  Along with the highly competitive SRF-T615, its value as an Ultralight DXpedition portable is unsurpassed.  So if you would like one of these exceptional units, it's time to search around.

                                                                    73,  Gary

Guy Atkins

Don't forget the similar, but larger E10 model, which is a hot performer also. It's size perhaps takes it out of UL status, yet it has a lot of good things going for it.  The radio has TWO bandwidths, including a very effective narrow filter (actually there are two narrow filters to choose from in addition to wide...one is 455 kHz IF, so it's a candidate for a mods). Factory refurbs of the E10 are selling for $29.99 at Fry's stores (I don't know if they are available on the Fry's Web site for that price).

73, Guy

[...]

.

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Guy,

Thanks for the Heads UP on the refurb E10 at Frye's for $30. That is a great price for a nice radio. Unfortunately both the selectable filtering and the size rule it out of the Ultralight category, as you suggest.

The E100 was really a slightly modified Tecsun PL-200, so Eton was really at the mercy of Tecsun (a giant Chinese electronics mfg.) as to when to discontinue the E100.  I just found this morning that the E1100 $60 replacement radio is also a dressed up Tecsun.  Both have about the same case as the E100, but without numeric keypad entry. The E1100 may well be an excellent Ultralight... and the E100 was one of the few with direct numerical entry, so maybe all is not lost... if the E1100 measures up.

Time will tell.

John B.

At 07:58 AM 4/23/2008 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

Fry's isn't selling any E10's on their web site. I really didn't need
another radio but last November when they were selling them for $29.99
on their web site I couldn't resist. After that they raised the price
to $39.90, still a great deal. It was a refurb but not advertised as
such. That really didn't bother me; mine has a few very minor scratches.

I didn't think I'd ever buy a single conversion radio but the very
clever IF shift really works. I have a local on 1490 (one mile away)
and it moves the image from 580 (listenable station there) to 590 (no
signal there). Images of really strong SW stations are very weak;
definitely unexpected in a single conversion radio. SW reception is
excellent off the whip and it handles an indoor wire with no problems.
The wide filter is too wide but it makes for great fidelity on strong
stations.

A couple of oddities. What's with the antenna trim? Why is it needed?
Also the 1100mah AA NiMh (no, that's not a misprint) batteries. They
were .70 VDC upon arrival and the radio wouldn't charge them. There
are quite a few postings on Eton/Grundig Yahoo Groups from people who
had the same experience. I charged them outside the radio the first
time around and they've been fine ever since.

This might seem like an unfair comparison but I put it up against my
Kaito KA1103. The Kaito is a little more sensitive but the E10 is
pretty damn close.

I don't think the E10 is worth full price, which is $130.00. For
another $20.00 the Eton E5/Grundig G5 are supposedly as good as the
KA1103 (almost identical circuitry and both are built by Degen/Kaito)
and have SSB reception (the E10 doesn't).

The E10 has exceeded my expectations. The build quality is excellent.
I think it will replace the KA1103 as my travel radio.

73