Date   

Re: Grundig Satellit 750 LW performance

Carl Roberts
 

If you would like to look into rehabing the sony 2010, many in the group reccomrnd Rod Walburg (KB8DNS). Look him up via his call on QRZ.COM

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Alice N" <alken211@...> wrote:

In Jan. 2010 I replaced my trusty 25 yr-old Sony 2010 with the Grundig Satellit 750. This was done because the 2010 had become progressively insensitive. On the SW and MW bands with the built-in whip and the rotatable MW antennas, the 750 is quite sensitive: I can hear hams as far as Europe on 20 meters; and as far west as Iowa on the MW band. The set sits on a desk in front of a window.
My big problem is the noisy,image- ridden LW band. I can only hear two NDBs*(very weakly, at that), and sometimes, at nite, an Ontario NDB on 515 Khz. When I first owned the 2010, the LW band was loaded with beacons, at another QTH, near Jamaica Bay. When I moved to my present QTH, here in Flushing, NY, in July 1991 the three stations mentioned above were all that were left of my NDB DXing. I bought the 750 to once again hear my LW beacons: but no such luck!
Any advice or insight from other 750 owners or LW NDB buffs would be greatly appreciated.
Vy 73 de
Ken-K2JLK in Flushing, NY(NYC)
*NDB=non-directional beacon


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

Albert
 

I have the Silver SRF-59 wonder if the black one would work better....? I know its better looking, well at least to my eyes...but is it worth 29 bucks....probably not. After all my SRF-49 is black, but you know the SRF-59 has a better tuner, its just slight, but stronger on signals. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Gees whats a SONY SRF-T615, guess I'll have to go Google it.

Oh did I mention caught WBZ Boston,Ma last just before turning in, on the PL-301? Thats about 30 DX stations in the last four days on that one. I know big deal, you guys with those fancy Sony's can do that in hour. Especially those guys in Newfoundland, I think they are cheating....LOL ;-)

Ya know DX is tough out here on the flatlands of the mid west, well, actually I live on a small hill so I should,t complain.

Good DX to all,
Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Robert S.Ross VA3SW" <va3sw@...> wrote:

On 14/05/2011 5:11 PM, Albert wrote:

The one I have has been very good, amazing receiver for 14 bucks.

So now I have SRF-49, SRF-59, and SRF-37V. Everyone of them are good
radios.

This whole DX Ultra light radio thing has gotten out of hand here at
my home front. They are so reasonably price I can't resist buying them!

I am expecting a delivery of a Sangean DT400W Monday. Even I know this
better be the last of a while, not to mention what my wife has to say!

So far the Sangean PL-310 has been my little darling and most used.

Now lets see didn't I read about a Fancy Sony.......

Big Al

Al...it's a DISEASE!!!!! I think I am just shy of 30 ULR's now!!!!!!
Stop now while you still have the Willpower!! HAHHAHHAA..... I even have
as many as 4 of the same Models!!!! I have 3 SONY SRF-T615's.....and I'm
fighting back a STRONG URGE to buy another another one to put away in
case any of them dies on me!! I have 2 of them in Service...and one
stashed away already!! They are my Favourite ULR having logged 929
Stations on a ULR....Most of them on a Barefoot T-615!!

Long as we're having FUN and Not harming anyone...what the hell eh??!!

73....ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA


Newfoundland Ultralight Radio Trans-Atlantics & Domestics Report May 15

Allen Willie
 

Hello To All,

An early morning sunrise DX session yielded 8 new stations for the Bristol's Hope ULR logbook with a few unidentifieds also as follows:

840-WHAS-Lexington,Kentucky 7:02UT/15 Talk show,ID
1120-KMOX-St. Louis,Missouri 7:04UT/15 "The Voice of St. Louis, 11-20 KMOX" ID ,tax promo
1150-CKOC-Hamilton, Ontario 7:17UT/15 Oldies songs,ID
1160-Unidentified 7:19UT/15 Spanish talk by man and woman,mentioned Argentina "Radio" (fade) ID
1200-CFGO-Ottawa,Ontario 7:22UT/15 Sports talk
1280-WADO-New York,New York 7:35UT/15 Spanish news & talk
1480-WMDD-Fajardo,Puerto Rico 7:47UT/15 Latin Tropicale type music, Sonido 1480 ID
1490-Unidentified 7:51UT/15 Spanish talk,music DJ ment. Cinque
1520-Unidentified 7:53UT/15 Spanish talk & music (possibly WVOZ Puerto Rico)
1550-CBE-Windsor,Ontario 7:43UT/15 CBC Overnight program
1620-WDHP-Frederikstad,US Virgin Islands 7:45UT/15 BBC News program

Receiver : SRF-M37V barefoot

Good DX

Allen Willie
Bristol's Hope, Newfoundland
47:43N 53:11W
http://nldxers.110mb.com


Log for new sony srf-59

Harold Cheetham
 

well here's what I have logged for the last 2 nights on the new sony srf-59.miles are distance from my house to station.

5/13
8:20 pm -1060- KYW - Philly,PA - 236 miles
8:25 pm - 1180 - WHAM - Rochester,NY - 35 miles
8:30 pm - 1590 - WAUB - Auburn,NY - 32 miles
8:37 pm - 740 - CFMZ - Toronto,On - 140 miles
8;38 pm - 570 - WSYR - Syracues,NY - 49 miles
9:07 pm - 1580 - CKDO - Oshawa,Ont. - 96 miles
9:22 pm - 1110 - WBT - Charlotte,NC - 596 miles
9:24 pm - 1020 - KDKA - Pittsburg,PA - 237 miles
9:25 pm - 850 - WKNR - Cleveland,Ohio - 273 miles
9:54 pm - 1090 - WBAL - Baltimore,MD - 267 miles
9:55 pm - 85- WEEI - Boston,MA - 301 miles

5/14
8:53 pm - 800 -CJBQ - Belleville.On - 54 miles
9:00 pm - 1080 - WTIC - Hartford,Conn - 239 miles
9:06 pm - 1130 - WBBR - New York,NY - 228 miles
9:07 pm - 1360 - WYOS - Binghamton,NY - 100 miles
9:58 pm - 1290 - WNBF - Binghamton,NY - 99 miles
10:02pm - 1120 - KMOX - St.Louis,MO - 744 miles
1010:pm - 900 - CHML - Hamilton,ON - 274 miles
10:35pm - 780 - WBBM - Chicago,Ill - 563 miles
10:38pm - 770 - WABC - New York City - 224 miles
10:40pm - 760 - WJR - Detroit,MI - 321 miles
10:41pm - 720 - WGN - Chicago,Ill- 563 miles
10:42pm - 680 - CFTR - Toronto,ON - 128 miles

This a fantastic little radio.With the headphones that came with it it almost sounds like stereo on AM.

thanks
Harold
KC2VBL


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

robert ross
 

On 14/05/2011 5:11 PM, Albert wrote:
 

The one I have has been very good, amazing receiver for 14 bucks.

So now I have SRF-49, SRF-59, and SRF-37V. Everyone of them are good radios.

This whole DX Ultra light radio thing has gotten out of hand here at my home front. They are so reasonably price I can't resist buying them!

I am expecting a delivery of a Sangean DT400W Monday. Even I know this better be the last of a while, not to mention what my wife has to say!

So far the Sangean PL-310 has been my little darling and most used.

Now lets see didn't I read about a Fancy Sony.......

Big Al



Al...it's a DISEASE!!!!! I think I am just shy of 30 ULR's now!!!!!! Stop now while you still have the Willpower!! HAHHAHHAA..... I even have as many as 4 of the same Models!!!! I have 3 SONY SRF-T615's.....and I'm fighting back a STRONG URGE to buy another another one to put away in case any of them dies on me!! I have 2 of them in Service...and one stashed away already!! They are my Favourite ULR having logged 929 Stations on a ULR....Most of them on a Barefoot T-615!!

Long as we're having FUN and Not harming anyone...what the hell eh??!!

73....ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

Albert
 

The one I have has been very good, amazing receiver for 14 bucks.

So now I have SRF-49, SRF-59, and SRF-37V. Everyone of them are good radios.

This whole DX Ultra light radio thing has gotten out of hand here at my home front. They are so reasonably price I can't resist buying them!

I am expecting a delivery of a Sangean DT400W Monday. Even I know this better be the last of a while, not to mention what my wife has to say!

So far the Sangean PL-310 has been my little darling and most used.

Now lets see didn't I read about a Fancy Sony.......

Big Al

--- In ultralightdx@..., Jay Heyl <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 18:37, R. Mark Barnett <orgelkraft@...> wrote:



A local store had SONY SRF-59 on sale for $12 plus change and I couldn't
resist picking two up. I read somewhere that the new ones aren't as good as
the older ones. I'd say they must have got a dud because these seem just as
good as the one I bought several years ago. I wanted one to "build into" a
loop I'm building and the other is a spare.
The consistency of the QC on the SRF-59 is all over the map. This is why
you'll hear some people praising them and others referring to them as a
waste of money. I have three. The first is a true gem. Excellent
performance. Based on this experience I bought two more to experiment with.
One was a total dud and the other was good, but not as good as the first
one. By adjusting the antenna and tweaking the settings by ear I was able to
improve the bad one considerably.

I then modified the case and added a reduction drive to the tuning so it's
now a breeze to tune, even at the high end of the dial. The only problem is
I lost the tuning needle in the process so the only way to know what you
have tuned is by ID and inference. Considering the inaccuracy of the tuning
needle, I figured it was a fair trade off.

-- Jay


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

Jim Brown
 

I am amazed at the price of the sony in the US here in UK you are talking around $32!!! but still great fun
Jim

--- In ultralightdx@..., "kc2vbl" <kc2vbl@...> wrote:

Got my Sony SRF-59 today.Couldn't find one locally so had to order one from company online.Played it at work in brick building at my desk with 2 computers and was really suprised at the sound quality and reception.Usually with all the florescent lights and computers AM reception is usually just about nil.Can hardly wait to get home and try it out later tonight.For the price it seems like one great little radio.Paid $18 which included shipping and tax.


Re: Hello everyone

Albert
 

Bought it off Ebay, from Thinkpan in San Diego, California. The had a high rating. One of the only U.S. dealers. took 4 days to get to me.
I made them an offer they couldn't refuse! Try lowering the price.

By the way I learned a new trick with the PL-310 which you may use on the PL-380. using 1 or 2K bandwith setting and dialing the frequency 1KC up or down from the center helps the background become quiet.

Enjoy,

Big Al NOCEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "mediumwavedx" <mediumwavedx@...> wrote:

Hi Albert,

Glad you are liking your new PL-310. Been using the PL-380 here for some time.

Can I ask where you purchased your PL-310?

Thanks, Bill


--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:

After playing with the Tecsun PL-310 for the last 4 days I have to say it is a good little radio in most respects. The one I got though has a lot of soft-mute noise on MW that can be distracting. I noticed though on earphones it not as noticeable for some reason. Using a AN100 coil antenna cleans up a some of this also. I find using 3 to 4k on the bandwidth setting seems to work best. I have managed to log over 20 ULDX stations in 3 nights with this radio so it works fairly well. Local strong MW stations sound good and clean on daytime reception, I can not detect and back ground noise on them.

SW and FM are really excellent, there is one marginal station I listen to every morning (Denis Miller program)that was really hard to bring in with every other radio I own, except the Grundig S750. Well the PL-310 kicks all their pants! It gets perfect reception on that
frequency!

I assume the PL-380 must be similar in reception traits from all I have read. I think it is more available at US dealers.

73's for now.
Big Al N0CEK


--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:

Received th PL-310, first thoughts is its noisy. But have to have a learning curve on how to use it. When you get it on a signal it does sound good. will try it out tonight vs the Sony SRF-M37V which I seem to use most.

Now have 11 DX stations log in, hope fully will get some more tonight.

Big Al
--- In ultralightdx@..., Keith Rennie <krennie@> wrote:

Welcome Al.
I love my 310. It's similar in performance to it's Tecsun brothers, but has
a tuning knob instead of the thumb wheel.
Enjoy!
Keith


-----Original Message-----
From: ultralightdx@... [mailto:ultralightdx@...]On
Behalf Of Albert
Sent: May 8, 2011 09:46
To: ultralightdx@...
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Hello everyone



Last night and this morning logged 6 stations from around the states on my
SRF-M37W.

Now understand I never thought of these little radio's as DX finders! :-)
So I just did a little listening last night to the Sony SFR-49 and the
SRF-M37W which I prefer with a set of Koss noise cancelling buds.

Both of these little radio's were outstanding in performance and where as
good as my GE Super Radio 1, which isn't a slouch! Amazing they have been
laying around the house for 5 or 6 years and barely used.

I have been verifying the SRF-49 frequency count with a Grundig G3 and it
is having a hard time keeping up with the hard to hear signals the two
Sony's are digging out!

Thanks to all who have opened this old Hams eyes to a new fascination.

Last Note, awaiting a new Tecsun PL-310 in the mail. Does anyone have one
of these and how do you like it.

Big Al,
N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:
>
> Have been enjoying this thread for the last two days, I find it amazing
what can be done with the Ultralight radio's.
>
> We have been in Boston for the last two weeks, new grandson visit with
my son. Normally my QTH is near St.Louis, Missouri. For whatever reason I am
getting a lot of QRM here at his house on my Grundig G5 which makes me
believe this is not the best DXing spot.
>
> Guess I never realized it but I have a few UL rigs, including the Sony
Sony SRF-49, SRF-M37W, ICF-S10MK2 and a very old Sony TR-620(1963). Don't
know if it would qualify as UL but also a Zenith Royal 500H which is a
pretty good receiver.
>
> Until later, good DX.
>
> Big Al
> N0CEK
>


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

R. Mark Barnett
 

Maybe I'm just lucky with the QC... anyway there are still good new SRF-59s around to be bought. I plan on putting gear reduction tuning into my project rig. If I get real ambitious I'll add the LCD display. I haven't picked up a Tecsun yet.... been too busy trying to retire.

Mark Barnett   N8PGV

GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child near YOU is DYING for a transplant!  
http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  

Organize a Bone Marrow Donor Drive in YOUR Town or Church!



--- On Fri, 5/13/11, Jay Heyl wrote:

From: Jay Heyl
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Got my Sony SRF-59 today
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 9:46 PM

 

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 18:37, R. Mark Barnett <orgelkraft@...> wrote:


A local store had SONY SRF-59 on sale for $12 plus change and I couldn't resist picking two up. I read somewhere that the new ones aren't as good as the older ones. I'd say they must have got a dud because these seem just as good as the one I bought several years ago. I wanted one to "build into" a loop I'm building and the other is a spare.

The consistency of the QC on the SRF-59 is all over the map. This is why you'll hear some people praising them and others referring to them as a waste of money. I have three. The first is a true gem. Excellent performance. Based on this experience I bought two more to experiment with. One was a total dud and the other was good, but not as good as the first one. By adjusting the antenna and tweaking the settings by ear I was able to improve the bad one considerably. 

I then modified the case and added a reduction drive to the tuning so it's now a breeze to tune, even at the high end of the dial. The only problem is I lost the tuning needle in the process so the only way to know what you have tuned is by ID and inference. Considering the inaccuracy of the tuning needle, I figured it was a fair trade off.

  -- Jay


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

Jay Heyl
 

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 18:37, R. Mark Barnett <orgelkraft@...> wrote:


A local store had SONY SRF-59 on sale for $12 plus change and I couldn't resist picking two up. I read somewhere that the new ones aren't as good as the older ones. I'd say they must have got a dud because these seem just as good as the one I bought several years ago. I wanted one to "build into" a loop I'm building and the other is a spare.

The consistency of the QC on the SRF-59 is all over the map. This is why you'll hear some people praising them and others referring to them as a waste of money. I have three. The first is a true gem. Excellent performance. Based on this experience I bought two more to experiment with. One was a total dud and the other was good, but not as good as the first one. By adjusting the antenna and tweaking the settings by ear I was able to improve the bad one considerably. 

I then modified the case and added a reduction drive to the tuning so it's now a breeze to tune, even at the high end of the dial. The only problem is I lost the tuning needle in the process so the only way to know what you have tuned is by ID and inference. Considering the inaccuracy of the tuning needle, I figured it was a fair trade off.

  -- Jay


Re: Got my Sony SRF-59 today

R. Mark Barnett
 

A local store had SONY SRF-59 on sale for $12 plus change and I couldn't resist picking two up. I read somewhere that the new ones aren't as good as the older ones. I'd say they must have got a dud because these seem just as good as the one I bought several years ago. I wanted one to "build into" a loop I'm building and the other is a spare.

Mark Barnett   N8PGV

GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child near YOU is DYING for a transplant! 
 
http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  

Organize a Bone Marrow Donor Drive in YOUR Town or Church!



--- On Fri, 5/13/11, kc2vbl wrote:

From: kc2vbl
Subject: [ultralightdx] Got my Sony SRF-59 today
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 4:36 PM

 

Got my Sony SRF-59 today.Couldn't find one locally so had to order one from company online.Played it at work in brick building at my desk with 2 computers and was really suprised at the sound quality and reception.Usually with all the florescent lights and computers AM reception is usually just about nil.Can hardly wait to get home and try it out later tonight.For the price it seems like one great little radio.Paid $18 which included shipping and tax.


Got my Sony SRF-59 today

Harold Cheetham
 

Got my Sony SRF-59 today.Couldn't find one locally so had to order one from company online.Played it at work in brick building at my desk with 2 computers and was really suprised at the sound quality and reception.Usually with all the florescent lights and computers AM reception is usually just about nil.Can hardly wait to get home and try it out later tonight.For the price it seems like one great little radio.Paid $18 which included shipping and tax.


Re: Batteries not fitting?

ginger_92@rocketmail.com
 

Thanks for the tip, I kinda gave up on rechargable's but still have the charger for NIMH so Ill give it a shot.

Ginger OKC

--- In ultralightdx@..., "chuck_rippel" <Chuck.Rippel@...> wrote:

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries and while their slightly increased diameter makes things just a little tight, they install just fine.

Chuck Rippel

2nd Generation Sanyo Eneloop batteries:

http://www.eneloop.info/home/the-new-improved-eneloop.html


--- In ultralightdx@..., "ginger_92@" <ginger_92@> wrote:

Anyone else have problems getting batteries to fit their radio?

Ginger OKC


Re: Hello everyone

mediumwavedx
 

Hi Albert,

Glad you are liking your new PL-310. Been using the PL-380 here for some time.

Can I ask where you purchased your PL-310?

Thanks, Bill

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@...> wrote:

After playing with the Tecsun PL-310 for the last 4 days I have to say it is a good little radio in most respects. The one I got though has a lot of soft-mute noise on MW that can be distracting. I noticed though on earphones it not as noticeable for some reason. Using a AN100 coil antenna cleans up a some of this also. I find using 3 to 4k on the bandwidth setting seems to work best. I have managed to log over 20 ULDX stations in 3 nights with this radio so it works fairly well. Local strong MW stations sound good and clean on daytime reception, I can not detect and back ground noise on them.

SW and FM are really excellent, there is one marginal station I listen to every morning (Denis Miller program)that was really hard to bring in with every other radio I own, except the Grundig S750. Well the PL-310 kicks all their pants! It gets perfect reception on that
frequency!

I assume the PL-380 must be similar in reception traits from all I have read. I think it is more available at US dealers.

73's for now.
Big Al N0CEK


--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:

Received th PL-310, first thoughts is its noisy. But have to have a learning curve on how to use it. When you get it on a signal it does sound good. will try it out tonight vs the Sony SRF-M37V which I seem to use most.

Now have 11 DX stations log in, hope fully will get some more tonight.

Big Al
--- In ultralightdx@..., Keith Rennie <krennie@> wrote:

Welcome Al.
I love my 310. It's similar in performance to it's Tecsun brothers, but has
a tuning knob instead of the thumb wheel.
Enjoy!
Keith


-----Original Message-----
From: ultralightdx@... [mailto:ultralightdx@...]On
Behalf Of Albert
Sent: May 8, 2011 09:46
To: ultralightdx@...
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Hello everyone



Last night and this morning logged 6 stations from around the states on my
SRF-M37W.

Now understand I never thought of these little radio's as DX finders! :-)
So I just did a little listening last night to the Sony SFR-49 and the
SRF-M37W which I prefer with a set of Koss noise cancelling buds.

Both of these little radio's were outstanding in performance and where as
good as my GE Super Radio 1, which isn't a slouch! Amazing they have been
laying around the house for 5 or 6 years and barely used.

I have been verifying the SRF-49 frequency count with a Grundig G3 and it
is having a hard time keeping up with the hard to hear signals the two
Sony's are digging out!

Thanks to all who have opened this old Hams eyes to a new fascination.

Last Note, awaiting a new Tecsun PL-310 in the mail. Does anyone have one
of these and how do you like it.

Big Al,
N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:
>
> Have been enjoying this thread for the last two days, I find it amazing
what can be done with the Ultralight radio's.
>
> We have been in Boston for the last two weeks, new grandson visit with
my son. Normally my QTH is near St.Louis, Missouri. For whatever reason I am
getting a lot of QRM here at his house on my Grundig G5 which makes me
believe this is not the best DXing spot.
>
> Guess I never realized it but I have a few UL rigs, including the Sony
Sony SRF-49, SRF-M37W, ICF-S10MK2 and a very old Sony TR-620(1963). Don't
know if it would qualify as UL but also a Zenith Royal 500H which is a
pretty good receiver.
>
> Until later, good DX.
>
> Big Al
> N0CEK
>


Re: Hello everyone

Albert
 

After playing with the Tecsun PL-310 for the last 4 days I have to say it is a good little radio in most respects. The one I got though has a lot of soft-mute noise on MW that can be distracting. I noticed though on earphones it not as noticeable for some reason. Using a AN100 coil antenna cleans up a some of this also. I find using 3 to 4k on the bandwidth setting seems to work best. I have managed to log over 20 ULDX stations in 3 nights with this radio so it works fairly well. Local strong MW stations sound good and clean on daytime reception, I can not detect and back ground noise on them.

SW and FM are really excellent, there is one marginal station I listen to every morning (Denis Miller program)that was really hard to bring in with every other radio I own, except the Grundig S750. Well the PL-310 kicks all their pants! It gets perfect reception on that
frequency!

I assume the PL-380 must be similar in reception traits from all I have read. I think it is more available at US dealers.

73's for now.
Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@...> wrote:

Received th PL-310, first thoughts is its noisy. But have to have a learning curve on how to use it. When you get it on a signal it does sound good. will try it out tonight vs the Sony SRF-M37V which I seem to use most.

Now have 11 DX stations log in, hope fully will get some more tonight.

Big Al
--- In ultralightdx@..., Keith Rennie <krennie@> wrote:

Welcome Al.
I love my 310. It's similar in performance to it's Tecsun brothers, but has
a tuning knob instead of the thumb wheel.
Enjoy!
Keith


-----Original Message-----
From: ultralightdx@... [mailto:ultralightdx@...]On
Behalf Of Albert
Sent: May 8, 2011 09:46
To: ultralightdx@...
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Hello everyone



Last night and this morning logged 6 stations from around the states on my
SRF-M37W.

Now understand I never thought of these little radio's as DX finders! :-)
So I just did a little listening last night to the Sony SFR-49 and the
SRF-M37W which I prefer with a set of Koss noise cancelling buds.

Both of these little radio's were outstanding in performance and where as
good as my GE Super Radio 1, which isn't a slouch! Amazing they have been
laying around the house for 5 or 6 years and barely used.

I have been verifying the SRF-49 frequency count with a Grundig G3 and it
is having a hard time keeping up with the hard to hear signals the two
Sony's are digging out!

Thanks to all who have opened this old Hams eyes to a new fascination.

Last Note, awaiting a new Tecsun PL-310 in the mail. Does anyone have one
of these and how do you like it.

Big Al,
N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:
>
> Have been enjoying this thread for the last two days, I find it amazing
what can be done with the Ultralight radio's.
>
> We have been in Boston for the last two weeks, new grandson visit with
my son. Normally my QTH is near St.Louis, Missouri. For whatever reason I am
getting a lot of QRM here at his house on my Grundig G5 which makes me
believe this is not the best DXing spot.
>
> Guess I never realized it but I have a few UL rigs, including the Sony
Sony SRF-49, SRF-M37W, ICF-S10MK2 and a very old Sony TR-620(1963). Don't
know if it would qualify as UL but also a Zenith Royal 500H which is a
pretty good receiver.
>
> Until later, good DX.
>
> Big Al
> N0CEK
>


new review website

Harold Cheetham
 

Jay your website looks great.Keep the reviews coming.Very interesting and informative.Look forward to your reviews of the Zenith's.
 
73
Harold Cheetham
KC2VBL


Re: Suprise DX Hit

chuck_rippel <Chuck.Rippel@...>
 

Nicely done, Ginger. I drive past the WVXX towers on the way to work. That station was WCMS for more years than I care to count.

Chuck Rippel
Chesapeake, VA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "ginger_92@..." <ginger_92@...> wrote:

Between lightning crashes this morning I picked up a good hit and a new one last night. WVXX was coming in suprisingly good for a good half hr.

WVXX 1050khz, Norfolk Virginia, Spanish Station, music@talk. 358watts night. 1190 miles. 05:10am-05:45am cst.
WRX911 barefoot

Ginger OKC


Re: Batteries not fitting?

chuck_rippel <Chuck.Rippel@...>
 

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries and while their slightly increased diameter makes things just a little tight, they install just fine.

Chuck Rippel

2nd Generation Sanyo Eneloop batteries:

http://www.eneloop.info/home/the-new-improved-eneloop.html

--- In ultralightdx@..., "ginger_92@..." <ginger_92@...> wrote:

Anyone else have problems getting batteries to fit their radio?

Ginger OKC


Re: Batteries not fitting?

Jay Heyl
 

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 07:39, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

In a totally different radio (not even a ULR), I found that NiMH AA
cells were a little too big for the AA case.  I didn't realize there
could be a difference in the sizes.  I think, maybe, it's because the
NiMHs were high-capacity (about 2650 mAh).

There is an international specification for battery sizes. The tolerance on size is quite a bit larger than I would have thought ideal. Most batteries are technically within the tolerance, but the high capacity NiMH batteries tend to be at the upper end of the range if not a wee bit beyond it. 

  -- Jay 


Re: Batteries not fitting?

ferrite61 <dxrx@...>
 

Hi Ginger,
Yes the Ni-MH batteries are of a slightly larger diameter, and fit tightly in most radios.

Paul S. in CT

--- In ultralightdx@..., "ginger_92@..." <ginger_92@...> wrote:

Anyone else have problems getting batteries to fit there radio? I have problems getting Energizer or Duracell to fit into my Kaito 1103 and the only batteries that will think about going into my WRX911 is Rayovac Heavy Duty, no alkaline so far will come close unless I would jam em in and I'm not going to do that. I have some old Radio Shack Alkaline's that will go but there spent. The Rayovac's work fine, just curious if anyone else has seen this.

Ginger OKC

19321 - 19340 of 34005