Date   

Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Kenny Murray
 

has anyone tried simply wrapping the ferrite with 8 turns of wire and then allowing that to be connected to a longer piece of wire.




======================== Kenneth J. Murray VO1KJM EM: murraykj709@... Telephone: 506-962-8401 ======================== Inmarsat: AOR WEST: 011-870-76-4156467 ============================================================================= Confidentiality : This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is adressed and may contain information which is confidential and privileged. Confidentiality and privilege are not lost by this email having been sent to the wrong person. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please notify us by email and delete this document immediately. Any distribution, reproduction or other of this email by unintended recipient is prohibited.

On Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 02:13:21 a.m. ADT, Gary DeBock via groups.io <d1028gary@...> wrote:


On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 07:16 PM, Steve Ratzlaff wrote:

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

All of Steve's comments on the PL-360 have been experimentally verified. The PL-360 stock loopstick is the deafest antenna in Ultralight history, but it does have one nice redeeming factor-- it is easily unplugged and discarded. But as Steve says, an even worse internal antenna stays in the PL-360 circuit even when you do this.

Back a few years I designed 7.5 inch (19cm) Longwave and Medium Wave plug-in loopsticks for the PL-360, which worked like gangbusters and were ordered by 25 hobbyists. The big advantage of these enhanced loopsticks is that no radio "surgery" on the PL-360 is required. These loopsticks will work equally well with all the new SSB variants of the PL-360, and the related technical article is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/x6k75b5crnw79yx8gy9hnzlz7ad89lta

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)



 


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Gary DeBock
 

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 07:16 PM, Steve Ratzlaff wrote:

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

All of Steve's comments on the PL-360 have been experimentally verified. The PL-360 stock loopstick is the deafest antenna in Ultralight history, but it does have one nice redeeming factor-- it is easily unplugged and discarded. But as Steve says, an even worse internal antenna stays in the PL-360 circuit even when you do this.

Back a few years I designed 7.5 inch (19cm) Longwave and Medium Wave plug-in loopsticks for the PL-360, which worked like gangbusters and were ordered by 25 hobbyists. The big advantage of these enhanced loopsticks is that no radio "surgery" on the PL-360 is required. These loopsticks will work equally well with all the new SSB variants of the PL-360, and the related technical article is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/x6k75b5crnw79yx8gy9hnzlz7ad89lta

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)



 


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Steve Ratzlaff
 

Hi Peter,

The radio uses the SiLabs DSP chip--it requires a specific inductance so the DSP chip will tune. It's not an external antenna input as such, it wants an inductance such as what the stock ferrite loop antenna presents to it. It's not an external antenna input as we think of it like a radio with a 50 ohm standard antenna input.

You could inductively couple the output of your Flag antenna to the stock ferrite loop antenna that plugs into the radio, I suppose, and try that.

73,

Steve

On 7/6/2021 9:40 PM, Peter 1956 wrote:
Hello Steve,
Do you know the impedance of the PL-360 aerial socket?
I'm thinking about connecting a flag antenna.

Peter
Botswana


Re: Africian MW DXing

Peter 1956
 

Hello Paul, Yes South Africa does still have Medium Wave radio, as do Mozambique and Lesotho and Botswana.

Peter
Botswana


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Peter 1956
 

Hello Steve,
Do you know the impedance of the PL-360 aerial socket?
I'm thinking about connecting a flag antenna.

Peter
Botswana


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Paul Blundell
 

Thanks Steve, my idea won't work then.


On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:16 PM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:43 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
I was hoping to keep the FSL "as is" and find a way to use it without it having to be physically close to the radio.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Are you asking if you can mechanically connect a FSL's inductor (removing connections to its variable capacitor first) to a 3.5mm plug to replace the stock ferrite rod antenna?

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:21 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Paul


--
Paul



--
Paul


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Steve Ratzlaff
 

Well, I'm afraid without some real unsoldering work which would leave the FSL unusable, your idea won't work. The Pl360/365/SSB etc. all use the SiLabs DSP chip which tunes the antenna inductance (which plugs into the radio in this radio's unique case). The antenna inductance has to be in the correct range to tune the AMBC band. The FSL's tuning cap has to be disconnected.

Plus the Pl360 et al have a small approx. 1" ferrite rod loopstick inside the radio which is always in the circuit and which can interact with the plug in antenna.

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:43 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
I was hoping to keep the FSL "as is" and find a way to use it without it having to be physically close to the radio.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Are you asking if you can mechanically connect a FSL's inductor (removing connections to its variable capacitor first) to a 3.5mm plug to replace the stock ferrite rod antenna?

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:21 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Paul


--
Paul


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Paul Blundell
 

I was hoping to keep the FSL "as is" and find a way to use it without it having to be physically close to the radio.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Steve Ratzlaff <ratzlaffsteve@...> wrote:

Are you asking if you can mechanically connect a FSL's inductor (removing connections to its variable capacitor first) to a 3.5mm plug to replace the stock ferrite rod antenna?

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:21 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Paul



--
Paul


Re: Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Steve Ratzlaff
 

Are you asking if you can mechanically connect a FSL's inductor (removing connections to its variable capacitor first) to a 3.5mm plug to replace the stock ferrite rod antenna?

Steve

On 7/6/2021 6:21 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Paul


Direct Connection between FSL and PL 360?

Paul Blundell
 

Hypothetical:
Can you directly connect a FSL to a radio like a PL360 which has a 3.5mm aerial connector? If so, how would you do it.

Paul


Africian MW DXing

Paul Blundell
 

Hi.
Between the west coast of Tasmania and South Africa is basically a heap of ocean and nothing much else. I have been looking online but have not been able to find much solid information on if they still have much mediumwave radio and if it is worth trying to chase this down for DXing?
Does anybody have any experiance with this?

Paul 


Re: 1540 ZNS-1 Bahamas received in Botswana on an Eton Elite Traveler ultralight

Peter 1956
 

Thanks Johnny.

Peter


Re: 1540 ZNS-1 Bahamas received in Botswana on an Eton Elite Traveler ultralight

Johnny
 

So great!  Good work!!!

Johnny


Re: 1540 ZNS-1 Bahamas received in Botswana on an Eton Elite Traveler ultralight

Peter 1956
 

Maybe next stop but one.

Peter


Re: 1540 ZNS-1 Bahamas received in Botswana on an Eton Elite Traveler ultralight

Steve Whitt
 

Next stop Hawaii!

 

73

Steve

 

From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io [mailto:main@UltralightDX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter 1956
Sent: 03 July 2021 10:31
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 1540 ZNS-1 Bahamas received in Botswana on an Eton Elite Traveler ultralight

 

Thanks Paul and Jorge, here are the videos:
1540 ZNS 1 Bahamas 12380km. Received in Botswana on a barefoot ultralight radio
https://youtu.be/CRArkkAjhnk
800 TWR Bonaire barefoot Etón Elite Traveler 10960km 3rd July 2021
https://youtu.be/o_tTHMVcFoo

Peter Wilson
Botswana


Re: Question on Retekess V-115

DX Pedro
 

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM Rémy Friess <rfriess@...> wrote:


Le 06/07/2021 à 03:35, Paul Blundell a écrit :
Any other radios that include off the air recording like this?
I believe the Degen DE1129 does, but I have not tested it.







Re: Question on Retekess V-115

Rémy Friess
 

Le 06/07/2021 à 03:35, Paul Blundell a écrit :
Any other radios that include off the air recording like this?
I believe the Degen DE1129 does, but I have not tested it.


Re: Question on Retekess V-115

DX Pedro
 

WEll you do have the TECSUN ICR-110 & the TECSUN Q3. but they're
prices seem to have gone through the roof lately. worth checking, tho
i don't own any, i've contemplated them before the v155.

// pedro andrade

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:36 AM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:

Any other radios that include off the air recording like this?

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 10:37 PM Rémy Friess <rfriess@...> wrote:


It's what I use to make my recordings. For what I've read, it does
record on DualMono instead of stereo. but i cant confirm this.
I can confirm it. It's Dual Mono, not stereo on FM as well as with the
external input.

73, Rémy.







--
Paul


Re: First long distance FM reception

Les Rayburn
 

Johnny,

Congratulations! That certainly was an E-Skip (Sporadic E) reception. However, now comes the bad news. Just like crack cocaine, the first sample is free…and then you’re hooked! For the rest of your life, your summers and holiday seasons will be ruled by the nagging craving, the deep yearning for just one more shot of E-Skip. 

When you can’t get your fix, you’ll start going through withdraw. You’ll erect higher and larger antennas…try to satisfy yourself with troposcatter receptions out to a few hundred miles. Then you’ll add low noise pre-amps, and RG-11 cable cause it’s lower loss than RG-6…maybe try your hand at meteor scatter…but still you’ll dream about E-Skip. 

You’ll join the WTFDA Club, just so you have other addicts to talk to. Some of them have insider knowledge, and know where to score. If nothing else, they’ll understand your struggle. 

When you’re finally able to score some of the really good stuff…I mean a monster opening that lasts for hours…you’ll ride the high, chase the dragon, and swear that everything in life is good. 

Then it’s back to endless static, searching for the next hit….

The life of an E-Skip addict. I don’t know if I should pat you on the back or cry for you. 




73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip. 

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…” 

Powered by Mailbutler, the email extension that does it all

On Jul 5, 2021, at 11:40 PM, Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:

Amazing Jonny.
 
 
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 at 8:59 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] First long distance FM reception
Great work, thanks for sharing.
 
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, 07:11 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

The other day I was able to receive my first long distance FM reception and I must say it was quite addicting!

I received 98.7 Kiss FM in Celina, Tennessee from San Angelo, Texas!  1015 miles!

Would that be considered E-Skip?


Thanks to all!


Johnny
 
 


Re: Question on Retekess V-115

 

I have not found many options. I am not a massive fan of the built-in battery.

 
 
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 at 11:35 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Question on Retekess V-115
Any other radios that include off the air recording like this?
 
On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 10:37 PM Rémy Friess <rfriess@...> wrote:

> It's what I use to make my recordings. For what I've read, it does
> record on DualMono instead of stereo. but i cant confirm this.

I can confirm it. It's Dual Mono, not stereo on FM as well as with the
external input.

73, Rémy.






 
 
 
--
Paul
 

2181 - 2200 of 33794