Date   

Re: Good night for DX

Paul Blundell
 

Great to hear Jim. I love hearing what others have logged.


On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, 12:40 a.m. Jim B, <jim01028@...> wrote:
From the causeway in Dunedin Florida, (it extends out into the Gulf of Mexico) I was able to log two stations in Alberta Canada using a barefoot Eton Grundig Executive Satellit. You can definitely have some fun with barefoot radios in the gulf area. Good luck.   Jim


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: FSL Antenna Combo Models-- the "Hong Kong Solution"

Paul Blundell
 

So you have any plans to make a step by step building guide?


On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 10:06 p.m. C B via Groups.Io, <bevdxer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gary,

You have again come up with an imminently practical and portable approach for ultralight DXing while traveling! The combo unit looks great! 

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 08:53:06 PM HST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:


That is a neat looking setup Gary and a good solution to that issue.

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 4:13 p.m. Gary DeBock via Groups.Io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What can you do to chase DX on an overseas trip when all indoor locations have bad RFI, and almost all outdoor locations are overcrowded, making it difficult or impossible to set up a gain antenna?
You can push your luck with a "supercharged" 7.5" loopstick portable (if you have one), and if you know which stations to chase, you can sometimes do quite well (as Bruce did recently, during his trip to Israel and Jordan). But what if you want to boost your transoceanic DXing results with a gain antenna? You can attempt to set up a gain antenna on an overcrowded beach (as I made the mistake of doing in Hong Kong, ending up with a circle of 20 Chinese onlookers staring at me for the duration during the sunset skip session), or you can use one of these new, highly portable FSL "combo units."
These models combine a TSA-friendly small sized FSL (with the lightweight 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite bars) and a stock portable (CC Skywave or XHDATA D-808) on a common PVC frame. There are three plug-in slots for the portable on the PVC frame, with secure rubber mounting clamps to lock the portable in place so that it won't fall out, even if the combo is held upside down. The  three plug-in slots provide optimal FSL gain for either the low band, mid band or high band, with the rubber locking strips designed to grip either the CC Skywave or D-808. The combo can be carried around anywhere, and provides a medium-gain option for those places which are overcrowded, or where gain antennas are impossible to set up (like Hong Kong).

The TSA-friendly FSL's include both 4" and 5" models. The latter model was the main antenna for the recent Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition, during which all continents except Europe were received on MW. The concept of having such antenna gain available to carry around practically anywhere should inspire a lot of exciting exploration in the future!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Photo:  4" TSA friendly FSL and Stock CC Skywave Combo Model

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: FSL Antenna Combo Models-- the "Hong Kong Solution"

Gary DeBock
 

Thanks Paul and Craig,

After our Hong Kong trip last April this FSL "combo" project was a top priority. Nasty indoor RFI and overcrowded outdoor areas are a bad DXing combination!

Of course someone chasing DX in Hong Kong right now would probably have a better chance of catching tear gas and/ or the Coronavirus, so it's no wonder that Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong Air are both on life support.

Gary

   



Código ITU

Oliveira
 


Friends of the group need help, a little off the subject of the Group.
I need a list on the country ITU code for me to put on
bug reports and I haven't found it on the internet so far.
Does anyone know or have to send me?
I appreciate any help.
 
Oliveira pu2olt
QSL do Brasil




Oliveira 
http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com


Re: Good night for DX

Jim B
 

From the causeway in Dunedin Florida, (it extends out into the Gulf of Mexico) I was able to log two stations in Alberta Canada using a barefoot Eton Grundig Executive Satellit. You can definitely have some fun with barefoot radios in the gulf area. Good luck.   Jim


Re: FSL Antenna Combo Models-- the "Hong Kong Solution"

C B
 

Hi Gary,

You have again come up with an imminently practical and portable approach for ultralight DXing while traveling! The combo unit looks great! 

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 08:53:06 PM HST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:


That is a neat looking setup Gary and a good solution to that issue.

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 4:13 p.m. Gary DeBock via Groups.Io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What can you do to chase DX on an overseas trip when all indoor locations have bad RFI, and almost all outdoor locations are overcrowded, making it difficult or impossible to set up a gain antenna?
You can push your luck with a "supercharged" 7.5" loopstick portable (if you have one), and if you know which stations to chase, you can sometimes do quite well (as Bruce did recently, during his trip to Israel and Jordan). But what if you want to boost your transoceanic DXing results with a gain antenna? You can attempt to set up a gain antenna on an overcrowded beach (as I made the mistake of doing in Hong Kong, ending up with a circle of 20 Chinese onlookers staring at me for the duration during the sunset skip session), or you can use one of these new, highly portable FSL "combo units."
These models combine a TSA-friendly small sized FSL (with the lightweight 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite bars) and a stock portable (CC Skywave or XHDATA D-808) on a common PVC frame. There are three plug-in slots for the portable on the PVC frame, with secure rubber mounting clamps to lock the portable in place so that it won't fall out, even if the combo is held upside down. The  three plug-in slots provide optimal FSL gain for either the low band, mid band or high band, with the rubber locking strips designed to grip either the CC Skywave or D-808. The combo can be carried around anywhere, and provides a medium-gain option for those places which are overcrowded, or where gain antennas are impossible to set up (like Hong Kong).

The TSA-friendly FSL's include both 4" and 5" models. The latter model was the main antenna for the recent Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition, during which all continents except Europe were received on MW. The concept of having such antenna gain available to carry around practically anywhere should inspire a lot of exciting exploration in the future!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Photo:  4" TSA friendly FSL and Stock CC Skywave Combo Model

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Video - Planning a Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Session

Paul Blundell
 


Re: FSL Antenna Combo Models-- the "Hong Kong Solution"

Paul Blundell
 

That is a neat looking setup Gary and a good solution to that issue.


On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 4:13 p.m. Gary DeBock via Groups.Io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What can you do to chase DX on an overseas trip when all indoor locations have bad RFI, and almost all outdoor locations are overcrowded, making it difficult or impossible to set up a gain antenna?
You can push your luck with a "supercharged" 7.5" loopstick portable (if you have one), and if you know which stations to chase, you can sometimes do quite well (as Bruce did recently, during his trip to Israel and Jordan). But what if you want to boost your transoceanic DXing results with a gain antenna? You can attempt to set up a gain antenna on an overcrowded beach (as I made the mistake of doing in Hong Kong, ending up with a circle of 20 Chinese onlookers staring at me for the duration during the sunset skip session), or you can use one of these new, highly portable FSL "combo units."
These models combine a TSA-friendly small sized FSL (with the lightweight 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite bars) and a stock portable (CC Skywave or XHDATA D-808) on a common PVC frame. There are three plug-in slots for the portable on the PVC frame, with secure rubber mounting clamps to lock the portable in place so that it won't fall out, even if the combo is held upside down. The  three plug-in slots provide optimal FSL gain for either the low band, mid band or high band, with the rubber locking strips designed to grip either the CC Skywave or D-808. The combo can be carried around anywhere, and provides a medium-gain option for those places which are overcrowded, or where gain antennas are impossible to set up (like Hong Kong).

The TSA-friendly FSL's include both 4" and 5" models. The latter model was the main antenna for the recent Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition, during which all continents except Europe were received on MW. The concept of having such antenna gain available to carry around practically anywhere should inspire a lot of exciting exploration in the future!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Photo:  4" TSA friendly FSL and Stock CC Skywave Combo Model


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


FSL Antenna Combo Models-- the "Hong Kong Solution"

Gary DeBock
 

What can you do to chase DX on an overseas trip when all indoor locations have bad RFI, and almost all outdoor locations are overcrowded, making it difficult or impossible to set up a gain antenna?
You can push your luck with a "supercharged" 7.5" loopstick portable (if you have one), and if you know which stations to chase, you can sometimes do quite well (as Bruce did recently, during his trip to Israel and Jordan). But what if you want to boost your transoceanic DXing results with a gain antenna? You can attempt to set up a gain antenna on an overcrowded beach (as I made the mistake of doing in Hong Kong, ending up with a circle of 20 Chinese onlookers staring at me for the duration during the sunset skip session), or you can use one of these new, highly portable FSL "combo units."
These models combine a TSA-friendly small sized FSL (with the lightweight 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite bars) and a stock portable (CC Skywave or XHDATA D-808) on a common PVC frame. There are three plug-in slots for the portable on the PVC frame, with secure rubber mounting clamps to lock the portable in place so that it won't fall out, even if the combo is held upside down. The  three plug-in slots provide optimal FSL gain for either the low band, mid band or high band, with the rubber locking strips designed to grip either the CC Skywave or D-808. The combo can be carried around anywhere, and provides a medium-gain option for those places which are overcrowded, or where gain antennas are impossible to set up (like Hong Kong).

The TSA-friendly FSL's include both 4" and 5" models. The latter model was the main antenna for the recent Poipu, Hawaii DXpedition, during which all continents except Europe were received on MW. The concept of having such antenna gain available to carry around practically anywhere should inspire a lot of exciting exploration in the future!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Photo:  4" TSA friendly FSL and Stock CC Skywave Combo Model


Re: Good night for DX

Paul Blundell
 

Excellent report and good to hear about what you can get "bare foot".


On Sun, 8 Mar 2020, 8:57 a.m. micron327 via Groups.Io, <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
I live about 8 miles from the Gulf coast and DX here is excellent with lots of QRM free areas. Reception is pretty good here at my house even though there are 4 3,000 volt line 100 feet away. As long as I null the noise out I get good reception. I use a variety of commercial and home made antennas. Last night I was using my Kaito WRX-911 without any external antenna and picked up Fort De France radio RFO 1310 on the island of Martinique. It was clear and drifting a bit but not enough to loose the signal. 1,822 miles from here-not bad for $18.00 radio. Other stations WLS, WABC, KDKA, WHAS, and WSM to name a few. All in all a decent night.
73's
Ron


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Good night for DX

Ron Layton
 

I live about 8 miles from the Gulf coast and DX here is excellent with lots of QRM free areas. Reception is pretty good here at my house even though there are 4 3,000 volt line 100 feet away. As long as I null the noise out I get good reception. I use a variety of commercial and home made antennas. Last night I was using my Kaito WRX-911 without any external antenna and picked up Fort De France radio RFO 1310 on the island of Martinique. It was clear and drifting a bit but not enough to loose the signal. 1,822 miles from here-not bad for $18.00 radio. Other stations WLS, WABC, KDKA, WHAS, and WSM to name a few. All in all a decent night.
73's
Ron


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Paul Blundell
 

Thanks Gary. Two weeks until my mini DXExpedition.


On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, 10:27 a.m. Gary DeBock via Groups.Io, <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 02:59 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Thank you. Over the next few months I am planning a lot more like this.
Paul,

If you can plan a visit to an ocean beach like this around sunset, you will probably be amazed at the long range DX that will show up from the eastern direction.

In Hawaii I was using gear very similar to yours, and came away with loggings of Egypt, Cuba, Bonaire (Caribbean), Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. Stations like 558-Fiji and multiple Kiwis should be in play for you. Give it a try!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Gary DeBock
 

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 02:59 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Thank you. Over the next few months I am planning a lot more like this.
Paul,

If you can plan a visit to an ocean beach like this around sunset, you will probably be amazed at the long range DX that will show up from the eastern direction.

In Hawaii I was using gear very similar to yours, and came away with loggings of Egypt, Cuba, Bonaire (Caribbean), Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. Stations like 558-Fiji and multiple Kiwis should be in play for you. Give it a try!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Paul Blundell
 

Thank you. Over the next few months I am planning a lot more like this.


On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, 1:46 a.m. radiojayallen, <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
What a beautiful setting!


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

radiojayallen
 

What a beautiful setting!


Re: November Hawaii DXpedition Loggings & MP3's (530-783 kHz)

Gary DeBock
 

Thanks Craig,

Yes, tracking down over 100 live transoceanic DX loggings (and MP3's) in Hawaii was a ton of fun, but completely sorting them out would take a professional linguist!

For me, even Kiwi English sounds pretty puzzling, and occasionally Chris and I had somewhat of a language barrier just talking over the phone in Poipu :-)

Gary
 


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Paul Blundell
 

Thanks.

I am finding / testing new spots along this coast road as i find them, have the time and the weather is suitable.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:16 AM C B via Groups.Io <bevdxer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Nice report! Great looking spot for DX, easy on the eyes, too!

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, March 5, 2020, 12:46:08 PM HST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:


 

DATE: 6/03/2020
TIME: 7:45
RADIO: DIGITECH AR-1733
AERIAL: 3" BABY FSL
LOCATION: Preservation Bay, Penguin Tasmania
 
 
 
FREQ / STATION
SIGNAL
NOTES
531kHz - 3GG - VIC (Commercial 5k)
EXCELLENT
Great signal
594kHz - 3WV - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
Weather report
621kHz - 3RN - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
 
693kHz - 3AW - VIC (Commercial 5k)
GOOD
Ad for car yard
774kHz - 3LO - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
 
828kHz - 3GI - VIC (National 10k)
EXCELLENT
 
855kHz - 3CR - VIC (Community 3500k)
GOOD
 
927kHz - 3UZ - VIC (Commercial 5k)
WEAK
Racing results
1026kHz - 3PB - VIC (National 10k)
EXCELLENT
Weather warning
1341kHz - HPON - VIC (HPON 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1377kHz - 3MP - VIC (Commercial 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1422kHz - HPON - VIC (HPON 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1503kHz - 3KND - VIC (Community 5k)
GOOD
Some mixing with 2BS
 
 

 
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX



--
Paul


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Paul Blundell
 

Thanks.

The QRM is not too much of an issue here.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:32 AM Michael.2E0IHW via Groups.Io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:




Fine Business, Paul!

How did you manage with all the QRM????

My AR-1733 doesn't do quite so well...

Michael UK
.........................

On 05/03/2020 22:46, Paul Blundell wrote:
>
> DATE: 6/03/2020
> TIME: 7:45
> RADIO: DIGITECH AR-1733
> AERIAL: 3" BABY FSL
> LOCATION: Preservation Bay, Penguin Tasmania

> 531kHz - 3GG - VIC (Commercial 5k)  EXCELLENT
>       
> 594kHz - 3WV - VIC (National 50k) EXCELLENT
...





--
Paul


--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

Michael.2E0IHW
 

Fine Business, Paul!

How did you manage with all the QRM????

My AR-1733 doesn't do quite so well...

Michael UK
.........................

On 05/03/2020 22:46, Paul Blundell wrote:
DATE: 6/03/2020
TIME: 7:45
RADIO: DIGITECH AR-1733
AERIAL: 3" BABY FSL
LOCATION: Preservation Bay, Penguin Tasmania
531kHz - 3GG - VIC (Commercial 5k) EXCELLENT

594kHz - 3WV - VIC (National 50k) EXCELLENT
...


Re: Portable Ultralight Radio DXing - 6/03/2020

C B
 

Hi Paul,

Nice report! Great looking spot for DX, easy on the eyes, too!

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, March 5, 2020, 12:46:08 PM HST, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:


 

DATE: 6/03/2020
TIME: 7:45
RADIO: DIGITECH AR-1733
AERIAL: 3" BABY FSL
LOCATION: Preservation Bay, Penguin Tasmania
 
 
 
FREQ / STATION
SIGNAL
NOTES
531kHz - 3GG - VIC (Commercial 5k)
EXCELLENT
Great signal
594kHz - 3WV - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
Weather report
621kHz - 3RN - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
 
693kHz - 3AW - VIC (Commercial 5k)
GOOD
Ad for car yard
774kHz - 3LO - VIC (National 50k)
EXCELLENT
 
828kHz - 3GI - VIC (National 10k)
EXCELLENT
 
855kHz - 3CR - VIC (Community 3500k)
GOOD
 
927kHz - 3UZ - VIC (Commercial 5k)
WEAK
Racing results
1026kHz - 3PB - VIC (National 10k)
EXCELLENT
Weather warning
1341kHz - HPON - VIC (HPON 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1377kHz - 3MP - VIC (Commercial 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1422kHz - HPON - VIC (HPON 5k)
EXCELLENT
 
1503kHz - 3KND - VIC (Community 5k)
GOOD
Some mixing with 2BS
 
 

 
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

3241 - 3260 of 32521