More on my ultralight experience

neilbellgroups <neil.bell@...>

As a friend (Mike Maghakian) pointed out to me, our location on the extreme west coast of California near SF presents a major issue for MW DXing.

To the west we have nothing but ocean, many, many hundred miles of ocean, with only infrequent TP DX possible. If you are a few miles inland, (in my case 30 plus miles), TPs are very difficult.

To the east we have large deserts with sparsely populated areas like Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico etc. Compounding this there is
the large and high Sierra mountain range running the length of eastern California!

This means many MW stations lie either to the north or to the south. Using loops or loopsticks means that trying to null out a station to the north also nulls stations to the south. Obviously, this complicates DXing to the north or south. Using loops in this situation requires very careful positioning of the antenna/radio, sometimes working just the edge of the lobes of the antenna pattern.

I assume that DXers in Oregon and Washington face the same sorts of issues as do those on the extreme east coast.

Receiving a co-channel station when the other station on the same frequency is about 180 degrees opposite is a challenge requiring favorable propagation and close attention to the grey line. in this situation using my Phaser and paired random-wires is the best option.

Makes me envy the people living in middle parts of the country with DX opportunities in all directions or even people on the east coast with many more stations to chase and less challenging topography!

Despite the lack of a keypad for tuning, the PL360, when combined with Gary's 7.5 inch loop-stick works quite well even considering my arthritic hands. I have rigged a nice stand to hold the radio and still give free access to the loop-stick.

Neil Bell
KJ6FBA