Re: Kchibo KK-D6110 AM-FM-SW DSP Receiver- First Impressions

DiamJ <jm392c@...>

My Kchibo KKI-D6110 arrived this morning, July 2, here in Massachusets. I agree so far with Gary DeBock that sensitivity is not quite as good as some others, but it's still pretty good, especially with the filter set to 1khz. There seems to be some soft mute. FM is very good. I'm glad that the committee has classified it as a ULR, so it can be compared with the PL-310/380. Once I have figured it out more and experimented with nighttime dxing, I will report further.

Jim Zozzaro
Milford, MA

Hello All,

Although John Washburn (VT) and Jim Zozzaro (MA) have also ordered the
Kchibo KK-D6110 model, apparently my radio was the first to arrive from the
Far East, so I hope they won't mind if I give my initial impressions on the
list.

The KK-D6110 model represents a serious effort by Kchibo to get back in the
Ultralight DSP receiver market, after having seen their D96L model
seriously outclassed by the Tecsun PL-310 and PL-380 radios. The KK-D6110 can
essentially be described as a D96L with all the quirky issues corrected,
although with AM sensitivity somewhat reduced from that provided by the D96L. It
retains Kchibo's Chinese domestic market identity (with Chinese label
controls and a Chinese owner's manual), and with length and height slightly
exceeding that of the PL-310, seems right on the borderline of the current
Ultralight radio standards based on size and weight (I'll defer to the
Definitions Committee on that decision).

Despite earlier impressions, the KK-D6100 is indeed an Si4734 DSP chip
model, and features the full range of DSP filtering options (1, 2, 3, 4 and 6
kHz). The digital "chuffing noise" and RF hash of the D92L and D96L models
have been corrected in the KK-D6110, and Kchibo has ditched the
rechargeable batteries in favor of standard AA types (three total). The beveled
cabinets of the D92L and D96L have been replaced with a rectangular cabinet in
the KK-D6110, making the model appear like a Tecsun PL-310 with a Kchibo
label.

A quick check of the KK-D6110's AM-band performance was made against the
D96L and PL-310, and provided an interesting glimpse into where this model
may eventually fit in the Ultralight niche market (assuming that it is
approved by the Definitions Committee). Kchibo has retained the relatively
pleasant audio of the D96L model, as well as the bright green digital display
whenever a control is changed (which stays on for 4 seconds, and causes no
digital "chuffing noise" like in the D96L). For those who have complained
about the quirky dual tuning rate of the PL-310 and PL-380 based on tuning knob
rotation, the KK-D6110 comes to the rescue with a selectable 1 or 9/10
kHz tuning rate, making DXing very predictable. The new Kchibo model has
numerous digital tuning functions, although it will take a Chinese expert to
completely figure them out from the manual (my own Chinese reading ability is
basic, although probably better than that of most ULR DXers :-)

The KK-D6110 model tested today has AM sensitivity somewhat weaker than
that of either the D96L or PL-310 models, and this disadvantage extends
throughout the AM frequency range from 530 to 1700 kHz. Further testing against
other ULR models should give an accurate picture of where this model stacks
up in the highly competitive genre, although the mediocrity of a stock
loopstick in the KK-D6110 would not be a deal-breaker for transoceanic DXers
with effective external antennas, especially considering the effective 1 kHz
DSP selectivity and other superb features. The Tecsun PL-380 also has a
stock loopstick that is quite underwhelming, but it has managed to become
quite popular among 9-kHz split DXing fanatics because of its effective 1 kHz
DSP filtering. Like the PL-380, the KK-D6110 also has a flat, rectangular
top cabinet surface ideal for attaching 7.5" loopstick frames, and other
such fanatical antenna attachments-- but that's another story :-) Suffice it
to say that the KK-D6110 would provide extremely stiff competition for the
PL-380 among transoceanic DXers with effective external antennas, assuming
that the Definitions Committee gives its nod, and that the DXers could
tolerate the Chinese labels on the radio. The Kchibo KK-D6110 is offered by the
eBay seller "hygt369" for $51.99 with free shipping (which takes about 2
weeks, from Singapore), a significant bargain in comparison to the Tecsun
PL-310 and PL-380 models. The radio will be fully featured in the upcoming
2010 Ultralight AM Shootout, along with the PL-310, PL-380, PL-360 and a
couple of analog models.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)