Re: Using the PL-360 AM 7.5" Plug-in Loopsticks on LW

Rik

SOON! I got the magnet wire today, but no toroids yet. I'll follow your best designs, and think I might have talked my wife into winding.

- FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "jim_kr1s" <jkearman@...> wrote:

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@> wrote:

I was using the ferrite rod from you last night, and comparing it to
the 2 foot air core. I noticed the dB S/N numbers are Much higher on the
ferrite, and the dBu numbers are much, much higher on the air core. As
the numbers tell, the high signal strength does not help much if the
noise is higher too.

This is a problem with unbalanced air-core antennas. They tend to act as
loops and random-length pieces of wire. They are more susceptible to
picking up noise. A balanced air-core loop is very quiet.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/ <http://kr1s.kearman.com/>
http://qrp.kearman.com/ <http://qrp.kearman.com/>