Re: Using the PL-360 AM 7.5" Plug-in Loopsticks on LW

Gary DeBock

Hi Farmerik,

Thanks for your LW report on the PL-360, using the AM-designed 7.5" plug-in loopstick.

If you try your new PL-360 loopstick on the LW frequencies after sunset tonight, I think you'll have a lot of fun. All experimenters have agreed that the S/N reading on the Si4734 models (PL-310, PL-380, PL-360) is a more accurate indicator of actual signal quality than the RSSI readings. Have fun!

73, Gary

In a message dated 5/21/2010 5:57:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, farmerik@... writes:

I was using the ferrite rod from you last night, and comparing it to the 2 foot air core. I noticed the dB S/N numbers are Much higher on the ferrite, and the dBu numbers are much, much higher on the air core. As the numbers tell, the high signal strength does not help much if the noise is higher too.

I haven't found readable signals on the LW BCB band, but I always start at 150 and work up. With Gary's 7.5 inch MW antenna, I should start at the top of the LW BCB and work down I guess. It is quite directional on MW, so I do need to rotate the antenna on each frequency. Long Island sound [the Atlantic] is 60 miles south of me, and the ocean toward Europe is even farther. There is little or no higher ground in either direction, but I am inland. - FARMERIK