Re: Using the PL-360 AM 7.5" Plug-in Loopsticks on LW

Rik

I was using the ferrite rod from you last night, and comparing it to the 2 foot air core. I noticed the dB S/N numbers are Much higher on the ferrite, and the dBu numbers are much, much higher on the air core. As the numbers tell, the high signal strength does not help much if the noise is higher too.

I haven't found readable signals on the LW BCB band, but I always start at 150 and work up. With Gary's 7.5 inch MW antenna, I should start at the top of the LW BCB and work down I guess. It is quite directional on MW, so I do need to rotate the antenna on each frequency. Long Island sound [the Atlantic] is 60 miles south of me, and the ocean toward Europe is even farther. There is little or no higher ground in either direction, but I am inland. - FARMERIK

Hello All,

For those 7 DXers who have already received the 7.5" AM plug-in loopsticks
for the Tecsun PL-360 model (and for the 18 who will), those interested in
LW beacon reception should be aware that the AM 7.5" loopsticks also
provide quite sensitive LW reception on the frequencies down to about 300 kHz.

Although an LW-optimized 7.5" plug-in loopstick (using a 2000 uh coil of
40/44 Litz wire on a type 33 ferrite bar) has already been tested here, and
found to provide optimal reception on the lower (international broadcast) LW
frequencies, the AM 7.5" loopstick can also provide quite sensitive LW
reception in relation to the stock Tecsun PL-300WT, PL-310, PL-380 and PL-360
models, by virtue of its much longer 7.5" ferrite bar. This can provide a
lot of fun for those who wish to chase LW beacons, even without using a
custom LW loopstick.

An example of the 7.5" AM loopstick's capability on LW is this recording of
the 350-NY and 352-RNT beacons mixing together in Puyallup, WA, shortly
after local midnight: _http://www.mediafire.com/?yyy1dzzfczo_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?yyy1dzzfczo) . The experimental LW-optimized loopstick is of
course more sensitive for beacon reception, but those of you who have
already received the 7.5" AM plug-in loopsticks can probably have a lot of fun
chasing beacons on the higher LW frequencies, just by using the AM plug-in
model you already have.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)