Re: SRF 59 Rises from dead

w2gjw <w2gjw@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Dennis Gibson" <wb6tnb@...> wrote:

One of my friends has an SRF-59 that performs very poorly on a NiMH
battery but great with an alkaline. Go figure.

It's been my experience that the sensitivity of the SRF-59 is related
to battery voltage level. At one point, I too thought something had
happened to my SRF-59 as it had become "less-sensitive". Turned out my
battery voltage was down to 1.23v. Replacing the battery solved the
problem; i.e. the SRF-59's sensitivity was fully restored.

Typically, NiMH and NiCad batteries are rated at 1.2 volts although
they may be a bit higher immediately after a charge. Akaline batteries
are rated at 1.5v, although I've measured them as high as 1.657v when
taken right out of the package.

It just may be that the sensitivity of the SRF-59 is best when the
battery voltage is between 1.3-1.6v, that's just a guess! I would have
to run some tests to confirm this theory.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

73-
Gary
W2GJW