Re: A Radio Rodeo

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

I don't know about the salt water but tropo seems to like water paths here in the Mid-Atlantic.  My usual tropo is to Southern New England and the Outer Banks, both generally over salt water paths.  But that may have more to do with temperature inversions that develop in the evening over water than the fact that its a salt-water path.  My results would probably be similar if the Atlantic was a fresh water lake.

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Stephen <pianoplayer88key@...> wrote:

I wonder if salt water helps FM signals travel farther, as well, like it does for AM. I happen to live behind a hill, but if I at least go on the roof of my house, or go to the top of the hill, I can regularly hear KDB 93.7 and KVYB 103.3 from Santa Barbara, even though I'm 211.7 miles away from KVYB and 196.3 miles from KDB. In fact, quite often when conditions are right, KVYB is strong enough to trip the stereo decoder. (The path to both stations is mostly over salt water due to the curve of the southern California coastline.)

--- In ultralightdx@..., Scott wrote:

> Oh, yeah. Any time I get good tropo conditions I switch over to FM. One
> night, I got some excellent catches barefoot on my G8! Farthest away I
> believe was KSNY at 101.5 FM in Snyder, TX (approximately 130 miles),
> playing country music. Not in-and-out either, but steady, sub-local signal
> strength sustained throughout the night. Then, gone by morning. I just love
> VHF DX because it's so much harder to catch anything. Sometime, I'll get my
> FM DX log (along with my AM log) on here.
>
> Scott
> Hobbs, NM (and Midland, TX)

,___

--