Re: Tecsun PL-360 7.5" Plug-in Loopstick-- Locking System

Rik

THANKS! I really enjoyed the photos, and I am looking forward to getting the PL-360 and one or two of your antennas. I don't want to slow you down on your radio work, trying to explain how I might get my computer to view the photos. Others on the group tried to help too, but putting them in the photo section made them easy to see for a computer idiot like me! - FARMERIK

Hello Farmerik (and Stephen),

Sorry about the issues with PL-360 plug-in loopstick photo downloading.

All related photos have been added to the PL-360 photo album in the
Ultralightdx photo site, which now has 20 pictures. Yahoo makes it easy for all
to download the photos by reducing the file size, and since the photos were
all chosen for sharp focus originally, the details should still be
acceptably sharp for all interested DXers to view.

Thanks to both of you (and many others) who have expressed interest in this
very fun project.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

In a message dated 4/28/2010 6:52:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
farmerik@... writes:

Gary - The PL-360 photo you gave the link to, and one or two previous ones
come up as huge on my screen, and there is no tool bar to move the part of
the photo I can see to center it over the radio. I can only see one edge of
the '360. Maybe no one else is having this problem. I use firefox. But if
there is an other way I could either see the whole photo in a screen size,
or move it around so I can view what you are trying to show, then I could
see what you have accomplished. Thanks very much for all your efforts. -
FARMERIK

--- In _ultralightdx@ultralightdxult_ (mailto:ultralightdx@...)
, D1028Gary@, D1

Hello All,

For those interested in this experimental project, the final design
challenge with the PL-360 7.5" plug-in loopsticks was to provide a
rubber-based
system to secure the relatively large antenna and frame in place, to
avoid
rotation in the antenna jack. Hopefully the same system would provide
some
additional shock resistance for both the 7.5" loopstick and frame, and
reduce stress in the plug-in jack.

All objectives were accomplished by gluing a short section of 3/8" I.D.
rubber hose to the loopstick frame, carefully positioned so that the
PL-360
whip antenna tip plugs into the rubber hose, whenever the custom
loopstick
is plugged into the PL-360. Not only does this stop loopstick rotation,
but
the system provides additional shock protection for both the loopstick
and
frame, while dividing the loopstick weight between the whip antenna and
plug-in jack. The entire 7.5" plug-in loopstick system now feels very
secure,
and well-protected against minor bumps and scrapes (a photo is attached
below, which is also posted at __http://www.mediafirhttp://www.mediahtt_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?yhz2w1zn2nz_)
(_http://www.mediafirhttp://www.mediaht_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?yhz2w1zn2nz) ) ).

The PL-360's AM-DXing personality changes dramatically with these 3" and
7.5" plug-in loopsticks, which are great fun to play around with. For
those
who have ordered new PL-360's and would like to try them, I plan to
start
some "production runs" shortly (as time allows), and also post detailed
instructions for those DXers who wish to build their own. It's a very
rare
opportunity to get a huge, self-contained AM sensitivity boost without
voiding
the warranty :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)