I didn't intend to call anyone a liar

neilbellgroups <neil.bell@...>

So, let me clarify a couple of things. First I am NOT new to radio but new to being a Ham - Yes.

I have been a SWL for about 45 years (I am 77 years old) and done MW Dxing for only a few years. For MW I have used two random wires with a Quantum Phaser and a Quantum Loop. The radios have included a Sony 2010, an Eton E1, an NRD 545 and an ICOM R75 and Currently also a Perseus SDR.

It was hard for me to visualize a tiny ultralight could have a ferrite bar antenna large enough to be highly directional. I just assumed that some traveling must have been required. Evidently this assumption was incorrect.

I do know that MW Dxing here in the SF Bay area is very tough with all the 50 KW powerhouses plus some IBOCs we have. Even with some pretty good equipment on the GY frequencies I feel lucky to get 4 or 5 co-channel stations.

Part of this is due to being on the west coast I have about 180 degrees of azimuth to seek out weak stations unlike those of you in the middle parts of the country, or north or south.

When the propagation gods are smiling we can get some nice trans-pacific MW stations and of course a number of big Pan-American stations, usually from Mexico are easily heard.

Obviously post was poorly worded and could easily offend people - for that I do sincerely apologize.

Maybe I should just buy one of these ultra-lights and see this directionality for myself. If I decide to do that I would be interested in your suggestion as to which model - maybe I could become a convert. I initially joined the group after being given a Grundig G5 and feeling that it performed quite well with fairly good directionality (I know it is not a ultra-light)

Sheepishly,
Neil Bell