Re: Welcome to New Ultralight DX Group Members

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

Jay - yours is the first complaint I've seen about poor selectivity on
an E100. How far away are these transmitter sites of your locals? I
have three 1 KW or less non-directionals (1290, 1340 and 1490) a
little more than a mile from me. My E100 (bought very recently from
Durham) doesn't handle the adjacent frequencies as well as most of my
other radios but it nulls very well which helps. Other than that the
selectivity is quite good and starts to behave normally around the
locals when I get about 5-6 miles away from them. It's amazing what
they've crammed into such a small radio. Selectivity wise it runs
circles around the Sangean DT-400W, a red hot receiver let down by a
barn door front end. It's a disaster with my locals until I'm at least
10 miles away, and they're non-directional! At night strong signals
hundreds of miles away sometimes spill over into the first adjacent
frequency up so badly that I can easily tell what's being said. I
haven't heard any other reports about that and would like to hear from
other DT-400W owners.

Either my E100 is hot or my DT-400W is a bit numb (I don't think it
is) but mine are equally sensitive all across the band. I've compared
them both in the middle of the day and at night. At full list price
($100.00) I don't think the E100 is a very good value. I was happy to
be able to take advantage of the Durham Radio price. Nor is the E10 at
$130.00; for just a few dollars more you can get the Sony 7600GR with
synchronous detection or an Eton/Grundig E5/G5. The only reason I got
the E10 was because it was $30.00 as a refurb. I like it a lot; more
than the E100 but it's way too big to qualify as an ultralight.

My main gripe about the E100 is the sound quality, which will be a
problem with any radio that has such a small speaker. Sometimes I have
to tune up 1 KHz. for better intelligibility.

73

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jay Heyl" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, Gary. I guess in some ways I was involved with
ultralight radio long before anyone considered it a category with any
distinction from just listening to the radio. For years I've taken
my DT200V
to the park with me at lunch to listen to local favorite programs and
sometimes see what else I could catch from greater distances.

Much more recently I picked up a SRF-59. Initially I was very put
off by the
awkward tuning and the virtual impossibility of knowing where you're
tuned
from the dial reading. Then I gave it a couple more chances and
eventually
realized what a truly awesome little radio it is. I bought two more as
refurbs from the Sony store with the idea of modding them. One is
just as
good as my original one, but the other is barely average at best. One of
these days I'm going to cut the case open and glue on a much bigger
tuning
knob.

Just this week I took delivery of a E100 from Durham Radio. I really
want to
like this radio. It's a great size. It feels solid and well made.
But the
barn door-wide AM filter is a huge negative. It makes DXing on
either side
of a local station an extraordinary challenge.

Not an ultralight, but another fairly recent acquisition I'm very
happy with
is the Sony ICF-S5W. I got it off ebay, formerly owned by a little
old lady
from Sarasota. The tone and volume switches were dirty to the point
of being
non-operational. I took it apart, hit the switches with some
De-Oxit, and
now it's almost good as new. If anyone is interested, I took some
photos as
I disassembled the S5W and annotated them with things to look out
for when
taking the radio apart. You can see the photos
here<http://public.fotki.com/JayHeyl/radio/>.
Be warned that the full size images are VERY large. I uploaded the
originals
so anyone wanting to get a good look inside could zoom in without
everything
going fuzzy. If you click on the "Get Original Uploaded Photo" link
you may
be in for a wait if you don't have a fast connection.

I'm looking forward to loads of fun with these little radios.

-- Jay