Re: Mexican Sta IDs in EE and UNID

Carl DeWhitt

Kirk:
I remember getting some laughs off Rev.Ike.:)XERF had some other brokered programming with some pretty strange characters as well.I,m not sure when they dropped their English programming.Maybe i can search that out on the web.I think i built a crystal radio and i also built a fox hole radio similar to what was built by American GIs during WW2 . It consisted of a card board tube from a used up toilet paper role or paper towel role,a coil of wire wound around it,a single edge razor blade for the detector,a pencil lead wired to a safety pin to tune in a station on the razor blade detector.This was all tacked to a thin board .A random wire sufficed for an antenna .Plans for these can probably be found on the web.
73
Carl DeWhitt
Maryville,TN

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <kirk74601@...> wrote:

One thing that really got the DXing bug to bite me was in 1969 taking electricity shop class in Jr. High. We built a crystal radio. I could pick up a whole TWO stations on it, our lcl WBBZ and also XERF after "Buzz" signed off at midnight. I still remember how excited I was to hear a station from Mexico on the little crystal set. Yes, I started climbing on roofs stringing wires a long time ago:-) Rev. Ike was a source of good comedy pgm'g I thought! Tnx for bringing back some fun memories.

Kirk Allen
Pasadena, TX

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <carl_elissa@> wrote:

XERF back in the 60,s/70s was one of a small number of Mexican stations known as Border Blasters because of their high power.XERF ran 250 kw at one time.I think a few others had English such as XETRA maybe.Who can forget Wolfman Jack and the Rev.Ike and the like on XERF ? Too bad we are missing interesting programming like that on AM today.
73
Carl DeWhitt