Re: Repairing Farmerik's SRF-29

Gary DeBock

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comments.

Without actually using test equipment, dynamic range seems about the same as the SRF-59. The AM sensitivity (when aligned) also seems equivalent,  but the AM image reception issue (reception of a strong 1450 local on 540 kHx, complete with whistles) is something that the CXA1129N IC chip (in the SRF-59)never allowed.

The superlative CXA1129N IC chip in the SRF-59 was the subject of great fascination in our Ultralightdx group in the beginning days, Scott, and gave us the impetus to get started as a niche group. The combination of great DXing performance at a rock-bottom price made the SRF-59 wildly popular in late 2007 and early 2008.

After a crash course to learn the Adobe Photoshop software (for issuing the Award Certificates), I've also had the chance to take up your suggestion to experiment with PL-380 7.5" loopstick coils of varying inductances (300 uh center-wound, 400 uh center-wound and 500 uh, in addition to the original 550 uh model, all pictured below). The tests (both with a signal generator and using live signals) certainly showed the versatility of the Si4734 chip in providing great performance over the entire range of inductances, and I plan to report the full details shortly.

73 and Good DX,  Gary

In a message dated 3/19/2010 6:36:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, sdwillingham@... writes:

Thanks for the photos, Gary.

The SRF-29 looks like a 3-Volt system. I wonder if it might have greater dynamic range than that one-battery wonder, the SRF-59?

-Scott-